1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Conservative Radio Host Jan Mickelson Is Totally Cool With Bringing Back Slavery

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Zaac, Aug 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I read the theoretical speculation about how many potential listeners Mickelson might maybe possibly have on AM radio, and AM radio alone, confined to the Des Moines/Ames Iowa area.

I guess you didn't read the article I linked to which says:

Every weekday morning, from 9 to 11:30, Mickelson presides over the No. 1 talk-radio show in Iowa, giving him more sway over national politics than perhaps all but the biggest names in the broadcast business. Mickelson reaches about 350,000 Iowans a week, twice the audience of his closest competition. That may be a pittance by big-city standards. But for a Republican campaigning in Iowa, which traditionally holds the first vote of the presidential race, the program is a must-stop -- and a pathway strewed with hidden perils.

[regarding a confrontation between Mickelson and Romney]

A video of their Aug. 2 confrontation has been downloaded nearly 200,000 times.

And there is this:

The station can be heard over most of the continental United States during nighttime hours. During daytime hours, its transmitter power and Iowa's flat land (with near-perfect soil conductivity) allows it to be heard in almost all of Iowa, as well as parts of Minnesota, Illinois, Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas, and Wisconsin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WHO_(AM)

I can confirm that I have heard WHO many times here in Minneapolis.

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can hear the station anywhere in the States as they stream their broadcasts online.

3. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And he's on YouTube, and Facebook, and Twitter.

I am not understanding the attempt to marginalize and discredit the idea that this radio talk show host has got influence. Everyone saying he has little influence have not said a peep about condemning what he said. Only four people in this thread have condemned his words--Zaac, CBT, OnlyaSinner, and myself.

Perhaps this is a visceral reaction to the OP, you know, the knee jerk reaction a lot of folks have around here to virulently object to anything and everything that Zaac or CTB post.

I invite people to condemn the words of Jan Mickelson. Or do you agree with him when he says, "what's wrong with slavery?"

Most of you believe that illegal immigrants should be rounded up and sent back to Mexico (and elsewhere). Do you continue to hold to that viewpoint, or should they be rounded up, put up in tent cities and put to work for the state, as Mickelson suggested?

Address the subject matter, don't go off topic with side issues.

#43 InTheLight, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2015
  4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You really believe he meant that literally?

5. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For Pete's sake--DID YOU READ THE TRANSCRIPT. HERE:

Mickelson also insisted his proposal was serious.

"You think I'm just pulling your leg," he told the caller. "I am not."

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

The man outlined a plan to enslave people. After everything else he said, why wouldn't anyone believe he LITERALLY meant what he said?

You're starting to sound like Bill Clinton here.

What the man said was beyond disgusting. And the reluctance of conservatives around the country to not publicly condemn what he said is very telling.

7. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Originally Posted by InTheLight
    There is no defense of this contemptuous person. I'm simply amazed at the efforts of people to downplay this.

I think Rev's question was in reference to the second sentence in ITL's post. There's been some downplaying/questioning of the commentator's degree of influence (plus a lot from folks like me who had never before heard of the guy), but I don't think anyone on this thread is downplaying the stupidity and nastiness of what he said.

8. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with her. I'm all for indenture.

The Biblical model isn't jail, but restitution. Indenture is a valid form of restitution.

9. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How happy will you be if an indentured servant is given your job and, thus, you would be unemployed?

10. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

If the "slave" is able to withdraw from the agreement, then it's not slavery.

11. targus

targus New Member

How do you feel about illegal immigrants taking jobs for less than minimum wage?

12. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whether intentional or not, the use of the word feel seems appropriate. I doubt that thought has much place in forming CTB's political opinions.

13. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I linked for you a poll above that showed that most liberals think that white slavery/prostitution should be legalized. It seems that there is slavery and there is slavery.

What is really happening is that Democrats/Obama is letting in millions of illegals from Central America and forcing taxpayers to slave to pay welfare for them.

14. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You just don't get it, CMG. The idea is for you & I to quit/get sacked/or otherwise become un-productive, and let Uncle Sam (or whoever is the face of the USA anymore) to take care of us.

Crabby would then treat us as good American citizens if we worshiped "Father" O, and let him be our sugar daddy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.