1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Conservative Teaching @ a Liberal Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, May 1, 2009.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I never saw it in the Sword. I never read it more than an issue or two.

With due respect to you my friend (and I genuinely meant that as I am sure you know), I think this is a bit of a straw man. I don't have an answer to it because I don't think it is the right question. Broadly speaking, when you are a part of the institution, I think you have crossed the line. A one day or one week lecturer is not a part of the institution, particularly if they are there for the express purpose of refuting the institution or the positions held. So I think that raises a non-issue.

I also think an academic setting is different in some ways than a ecclesiastical setting, though those lines are real thin sometimes in seminaries. So I don't have a cut and dried answer. For me, it would depend on the individual circumstance.

Obviously each must make the decision for themselves. But the Bible says to mark, confront, and avoid them, not even to give them a greeting. I think there are a number of people who are trying to be more Christian than Christ himself. I think that is questionable at best.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with you. However there have have been some conservatives in liberal suits. Just take a look at the Whitsitt controversy. I have also seen some of the SBC politicians of today conveniently changed their theology to match the political arena. I have seen some of their articles that are no longer available as they once were.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I do know this and appreciate this, and the feeling is mutual.
    Well, I disagree here. I think it's a pointed question because each are pointed possibilities, if you will. Some speakers are invited in for a day (chapel or a guest lecture for a course), some come in for a special lectureship (think the Mullins Lectures or the old Beecher Lectures for the opposite spectrum) that last several days. Others are brought in for a semester to teach a class, while others will teach as part of a year-long (or longer) sabbatical.

I'll lay my cards on the table. I think lecturing on a temporary basis is one thing. I think joining the ranks of an institution is likely an altogether different matter. That said, I think of a Mark Noll at Notre Dame, for instance, who may indeed influence some away from Catholicsm and God may well providentially have him there to speak the truth, lovingly, so that by any means he may win some. I think of Timothy George & David Dockery who influenced SBTS during its darker times. Al Mohler is another. (thank God for them. If they didn't do their part in the reformation/resurgence, where would the seminaries be today?) I do think there are some circumstantial influences which may come into play which is why I agree when you say: "
    You do bring up an interesting point when you say:
    I wonder about this. Is this indeed the case? Is it one thing for a conservative to join the faculty of a seminary, but another for a conservative man to assume the pulpit of a moderate/left leaning church? In all cases, to me, motivation is the key. If you're there to refute error, make full proof of your ministry, and proclaim the truth for the good of salvation and sanctification of souls, then that's one thing. To be there just to be there, just to have a ministry or professorship is an entirely different matter. Remember that we have to weigh the admonition to mark those who teach in opposition to the truth (interesting that that verse also tells us to mark those who divide) with the teaching of the salt/light and the example of Jesus who spent an awful lot of time correcting false teaching.

And then a further matter comes up. To me, it's one thing for a person to teach at a seminary or school that has different views on women in ministry or eschatology. To use Mohler's framework, I can't see being (for me) on the staff of a church/school that erred on first-level doctrines. Second level doctrines? Depends. Third level? Well, I can live with it as long as they could.

This makes me think of something else. I may share it publicly or I may just PM you.

Interesting. Have any examples? :smilewinkgrin:

GB wrote:
    I have heard this but never seen evidence. Mohler indeed was one who has been accused of this when he studied under Molly T Marshall. However, I've never seen anything other than positional papers which everyone writes as a seminarian and read quotes that were wrested from context. Besides, it doesn't make logical sense. You don't change to the minority party in hopes of gain. Why would someone willingly change their theological thinking to "conservative" for gain when the moderates/liberals had such a militant control? So they could have done to them what was done to them? I just think it's a bromide. I was at SBTS during the transition and saw things from the inside out as a staffer on the inside. I saw what Mohler and those who agreed with him were subjected to by some. But that's another tangent. Back to the lecture at hand.....:laugh:

#43 TomVols, May 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2009
  4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

An author of one of the commentaries whom I had as a professor at SWBTS told me personally that Lifeway completely changed his commentary in parts to say what they wanted and not what he really wrote. I had him for class as a professor before the Dilday explosion and then afterward also. On one occasion I asked him about what I read because I was sure that he said something quite different in class. When we went outside that is when he told me about the issue he had with Lifeway. He also told me of one other in the seminary who agreed with him but never said anything publicly about the issue. That particular person is heavily involved in the SBC as one of the top leaders. None of them were ever what I would call less than conservative.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

This is not a new thing. Things get edited to the extent of who your editor is. Lifeway is one of the worst for this. Conservatives have had this happen and have criticized them and B&H even moreso. Lifeway is almost understandable because they are writing for the SS crowd (Don't get me started about Lifeway).

I remember back in the mid 90s when an assoc was voting to disfellowship a church because of the ordination of a woman so she could get chaplaincy endorsement. I wrote a letter to KY state paper Western Recorder when uber left Marv Knox was reigning over the paper (who would write articles/columns about SBTS without ever stepping foot on the campus or interviewing people). My letter was severly edited to make me appear as coming from an ultra-fundamentalist camp. I was never contacted to see if the letter was even mine. After it appeared, friends asked "Did you actually write this? This doesn't sound like you." I called WR and asked to speak with Knox. He refused. But his secretary laughingly said that I was chosen as the "scapegoat of the week" and that's why my letter got butchered to what the editor wanted it to say. Friends of mine who worked at MTown told me this was standard practice and Knox thankfully left for Texas. WR still leaves some to be desired, but it's no longer Pravda as it was under Knox's iron grip.

My point: Editors will always edit. They have to. That's their job. Some "job" more than what they should :tongue3:

6. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom, thankfulness here might be a matter of perspective. Now all George Strait's ex's and Marv Knox live in Texas.
    :tonofbricks:

A Texan.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I know....Texas had to lose for Kentucky to gain :laugh:

#47 TomVols, May 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2009
  8. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Rather than leaving it as a purely subjective matter, it could be helpful to ask some questions to help with discernment.
    1. What is the purpose of teaching in a liberal school?
    2. What is the effect upon (a) others and (b) one's self?
    3. Does teaching in a liberal school aid or further the cause of liberalism?
    4. Are there any guiding Biblical principles as to separation, etc.?
    5. Could the cause of Christ be better served by teaching in a conservative, believing school?
    Well, what do you think?

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When I ask my friends where they would send a child to study theology often I get much the same answer. The answer usually indicates that not many schools are very good any more. Most schools over time lose sight of their original focus and begin to major on nickels and noses rather than godliness.

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Paidagogos, you hit on what I was alluding to earlier. Motivation is critical. Salt and light is one thing. Seed scattering can be useful. Just having a paycheck or a position is altogether different.

And GB is correct as well. I go back to the purpose of even the formation of some seminaries. Is it for the glory of God, the gospel of Christ, at the leading of the Holy Spirit for the cause of the Kingdom? Or was it simply to have your own little corner of the world? Seminaries of all stripes are guilty of this.

11. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Homework?

Let's face it; most people don't do their homework when embarking on a venture. They may have good intentions and a vague purpose in mind but they don't do the hard work of clearly defining goals. After defining a clear set of goals, a well thought out topdown development should follow with intermediate objectives and final procedures directed toward the ultimate goals. IMHO, there is usually a disconnect between goals and what we actually do. Then, we wonder why we stray from our original purpose. What do you think?

12. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Clarification of Situation

To all who have an interest:

Let me give some background to bring you up to date as far as this question is concerned.

Six or seven years ago I became friends with a female minister. She was recommended to me to have in my "Spiritual Aspects of Care" class at the little Baptist professional college where I teach. She was a hospital chaplain. I brought her in to talk about the "House Chaplain's" role in death and dying issues concerning patient and family care in the trauma units.

We became great friends and fellowshipped around the Lord and his redemption, ministry, and such. I had not used her to speak to my class for a couple of years and basically not heard from her.

Then one time about 5 years ago she called me "out of a clear blue sky.!" She informed me that I needed to come to the liberal seminary (referred to in the OP) and fill out some application's information.

That seminary had been awarded a grant from the (Eli) Lilly Foundation to study "Sustaining Pastoral Excellence" (SPE). The grant was for $2 million dollars. 60 pastors of all races, hues, tints, beliefs, denominations, genders, etc. were picked. I was one of the "token conservatives" in the group. There were 6 groups of 10 each. We met once per month for 3 years total. At the end of the 1st and 2nd years (summer time) we were given $1000 dollars to "take a sabbatical." At the end of the 3rd we were given $5000 to take sabbatical.

During the times we met together we discussed "Scholarship, Piety, and Justice," which is the theme or motto for this particular seminary. We also talked about "keeping Sabbath," taking a Sabbatical, silent prayer, went on prayer retreats, social justice and how the Gospel applies to those issues, the pastor having a "pastor," taking care of the physical part of the self, and many many other issues. Consequently I made deep and lasting friends with this ministers. I now count this one of the highlights of my ministerial life.

So then, I made many friends and colleagues at the seminary. When the seminary decided to go to a new "Spiritual Formations" (SF) model, it mirrored the "SPE" model discussed above. Because of my teaching, writing, and other expertise it was natural that they turn to me to lead or facilitate one of the new SF groups.

I thought it necessary to share this with you. I did not just jump into the middle of this liberal seminary. It was an evolution thing. And I have been blest by having a relationship not only with the seminary itself but with the people I have come to know there.

One of the things that has really been great to hear and understand is that everyone in the SPE program was respected and allowed "to tell their story" from wherever they hailed.

I even list it on my resume/CV as part of my "educational experience."

FYI!

"That is all!":wavey:

13. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

What's the outcome?

Rhett, I would be interested in hearing your assessment of your experience. We can all learn and benefit from your experience. (BTW, your experience with liberal colleagues seems a triffle different from mine. Perhaps I am more confrontational, but my experience has caused me to sharpen and harden my views. It was beneficial but in a different sort of way.)
    1. How has this affected your outlook? In other words, how has the experience changed you and your viewpoints?
    2. What are some of the positive outcomes of this encounter?
    3. What are some of the negative outcomes of this encounter?
    4. Would you rate this overall as positive or negative?
    BTW, I would also be interested in hearing something of the perspective on "death and dying" from the more liberal viewpoint. This is a serious interest, not for ridicule or argument, because I am currently working on this topic from a Biblical counseling (I am not of the Elizabeth Kubler-Ross persuasion) perspective. For example, what do you say to a dying (i.e. terminally ill) unbeliever? Do you tenderly and lovingly confront him with the Gospel? Do you discuss heaven and hell? Do you try to persuade him or her to become a believer or do you "respect" his unbelief? What does one do?

I am open to suggestions of resources for study and critique.

14. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Assessment of Experience

Hey Paid,

I hope you are well. And "Thank You" for your measured and respectful reply. I also think your inquiry is interesting.

I really do have a long history, even before the "SPE" experience, with this particular liberal seminary. I needed 6 sem. hours, two courses, back in 1994-95 to take locally, then transfer back into my MDiv degree at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (Louisville, Can you say Al Mohler?) in order to graduate "on time" as I saw it then.

This was my first venture into a "foreign land" of the liberal persuasion. Although, I had studied at the Harding University Grad School of Religion (Church(es) of Christ) also here in the area. During those days I was planning to do my Master's thesis on James Cone. At that time I had read everything except for Martin and Malcolm that he had written. But that, as Gomer Pyle says, "Is something entire different!"

The two classes I had to take were a Preaching course with a woman and a Gospel intensive with a liberal woman who had graduated under the previous admin of Southern Seminary. She was a feminist and mad about it.

So when I was afforded the opportunity to go back under the Lily Grant "SPE" program I knew where I was headed. Also keep in mind that I finished up my Doctoral degree at The University of the South's (Sewanee) School of Theology. This is the ultra liberal Episcopalian divinity School. I really had my "credentials" when I ventured into this deal. And I suppose, if I am really truthful, that I had somewhat of a heart of avarice going into the program.

Now to your questions, in order:

"1. How has this affected your outlook? In other words, how has the experience changed you and your viewpoints?"

I have just finished reading a book based on the four descriptors of the Nicean confession concerning the "Church." It is a "one, holy, catholic, and apostolic" church. I think I have learned to listen to "catholicity" and "ecumenicity" and what the Gospel of the Church was and should be today. Do I believe that we should have "unity at all costs" at the expense of Doctrine? No!!! But I do believe we should "listen" better as NT Christians to those with whom we may not initially agree.

"2. What are some of the positive outcomes of this encounter?"

I have learned (am learning) that there are "lovers of Christ," "followers of Christ," and genuine disciples of Christ in all denominations.

"3. What are some of the negative outcomes of this encounter?"

The negative outcomes may not be as many as you would think (or want me to have?). I know now better why the liberals are liberal. I know "what" they believe and more importantly, I know "why" they believe it. I know the "ethos" of the mainline liberal churches better now.

"4. Would you rate this overall as positive or negative?"

Overall it was a "mixed bag!" On a scale of 0-10, I would rate it a 6 or 7. I learned to be less sectarian and more open to "other voices," hopefully w/o compromising my Baptistic understandings of the Gospel. I was reared (more educated in my first seminary experience I guess than "reared") in a narrowly sectarian "Landmark Baptist" background. I now realize more than ever that there are many "God fearers" from around the world who love the beauty of the Holiness of our Lord Christ who may not have ever heard the word "Baptist." In the world we are a vast minority I would assume.

Concerning your "want to" for a discussion about "death and dying" and Kubler-Ross and such, send me a PM and we will connect that way. I am sure that I have more to tell you than you will want to hear.

With kindest regards and prayerful respect!

"That is all!" and I hope it helps some little bit.:smilewinkgrin:

PS. I am putting together a volume of about 12 ministers who have experienced death, dying, grief, or ongoing suffering in their lives and ministry. Each has written a reflection paper that could serve as a "spiritual formations" essay for a seminary level class. I think this will make a contribution on the subject of "why the righteous suffer." Each discusses how their own case has "formed them" for the ministry God has given to each.

#54 Rhetorician, May 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2009
  15. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Thank you, Rhet. This was interesting, helpful, and enlightening. The problem, I suppose, is how far to go without compromising something basic. Openness is good and necessary but we cannot be equally open to all things. For example, I do not accept the current "openness" among some supposed evangelicals toward Islam as an alternative way to God. My theology recognizes faith in Christ as essential. The flip side of the coin is the ingrown and inbred sort of Christianity that becomes an authority unto itself.

Thank you for your reply.

16. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paid Response

Paid,

Never fear, none of the "Five Fundamentals," the "Cardinal Doctrines of the Faith," the "Five Solas of the Reformation," propositional truth, "Inerrancy, Infallibility, or Inspiration of Scripture," et al have been compromised by me. In fact, all may have been strengthened somewhat.

It is one thing to encounter such liberalism in grad school or seminary; it is quite a different thing to encounter it in a "colleague group" all day long once a month for three years.

Amen?:thumbsup:

"That is all!"

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What I find sad is the fact that liberals see the misinterpretation of scripture by conservatives and view them as ignorant. They tend to not believe anything the conservatives say. However conservatives do the same thing to liberals. Both sides can be wrong but not all sides can be right. Usually I find that the truth is not found on either side but somewhere else.

When Jesus was asked for what reason a man can get divorced, His answer was not found on either side of the religious parties.

18. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    General Response & Exhortation

To all who have an ear:

It it my hope and desire that this particular thread will offer more light than heat and that it might promoted open dialog with those we violently disagree.

I know the "fundies" out there are about to screw themselves into the ground because their spinning--they think I am a "compromiser" and a "hypocrite" and are asking; "what fellowship hath light with darkness" and "Beelzebub with angels?" But we must each take up our own cross and follow the Lord to our own Golgotha.

Food for thought! not a condemnation or critique of anyone or any group.

What would Christ have you do that your "running buddies" might even ostracize you for doing?

Think about it!?

"That is all!":thumbs::thumbsup:

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What I have found is that when push comes to shove the majority of my "running buddies" were not there when I needed them most. It was the people whom I was discipling and some leaders who were there. The majority were not found.

It is easiest to reach those who are cold or hot. Lukewarm people are very hard to reach. Cold people will tell us what they think and we can have a discussion with them about real issues. Lukewarm people are good religious people who think they are okay when they are not, but do not know it. Think about who Jesus condemned in the gospels--the religious self righteous who did not realize how sick they were.

If that theological school is inviting you because they want the students to hear a conservative point of view then that is different than the opportunity to take shots at you and disrespect you. It shows they are open to learning and discussion.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I swore I heard Oprah say that once :D