1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Conservative Teaching @ a Liberal Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, May 1, 2009.

1. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Miscontrued?

Whereas one doesn't usually comment on his own comment, this is for clarification. My point is that isolation and compromise are both undesirable. Compromise, as we are using the term, is when an important or essential teaching is lost. However, the rub is knowing exactly where the balance point is. When one considers his own beliefs, what is the rule for differentiating between essential and non-essential?

Additionally, I think people respond differently to being in a liberal seminary or university. It depends on one's personality and relationships. Time spent at ultra-liberal Furman University was a watershed experience for me. It sent me scurrying into a more conservative theological position as well as challenged me to provide a stronger intellectual basis for my beliefs.

On the other hand, I know people whose faith was shattered by their experience in a liberal school. Again, there is the question of people holding a shallow faith without a background of Biblical teaching and a doctrinal foundation. Thus, it appears advisable for folks without a well-established doctrinal basis not to be under liberal influences. Novices are easily led astray in their naivety.

Then, there is the problem of those who have been told what to believe and have never come to their own convictions. Again, they are prey to every wind of doctrine. A disturbing statistic is that some Baptists are converting to Mormonism. This is, IMHO, a sad commentary on our preaching, teaching, discipleship, and the credibility of our Christian living.

To paraphrase C. S. Lewis, Christianity must mean something or it means nothing. In other words, there must be doctrinal limits beyond which one ceases to be Christian. IMHO, those who say the only requirement is to be a person of faith, which includes Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist, et. al., have left Christianity and have become something else.

Regarding our original point, the hard part is knowing where the line of demarcation is. There are no billboards or red flags.

Furthermore, there is the question of my teaching in a liberal seminary. IMHO, it is somewhat like the Apostle Paul's position on eating meats offered to idols. Does my teaching imply the acceptance of liberal doctrine. Again, this varies with the circumstances.

What we can all agree upon is that it is a complicated situation. It requires much thought, prayer, insight and discernment.