1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Conservative Theological Seminary in Jacksonville, Fl?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by hvnhlpr, Sep 19, 2005.

1. hvnhlpr

hvnhlpr New Member

Conservative Theological Seminary in Jacksonville, Fl?

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

What about it?

3. hvnhlpr

hvnhlpr New Member

Anyone have anything positive or negative to say about this school? (that was for El Guero) [​IMG]

4. UZThD

UZThD New Member

OK

1) IMO the PhD program appears to be a joke.

2) The PhDs on the faculty teaching PhD courses and evaluating PhD dissertations are PhD grads of this same unaccredited, unrecognized school! Yet the school claims that its faculty have advanced training from "well known" (or a similar adjective) schools.

Bill

5. hvnhlpr

hvnhlpr New Member

Thanks Bill.

I did notice a few of the teaching faculty with degrees from: Luther Rice Seminary, Dallas Theological Seminary, Philadelphia College of the Bible (Philadelphia Biblical University), Jones University, Piedmont Bible College.

You cannot argue, however, that these schools are not well known. That is the reason I posted concerning Conservative.

6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The PhD program is definitely a joke. I didn't see a single faculty member with a Ph.D from anywhere but Conservative Seminary.

Now, several of the faculty do have legitimate DMin degrees and MDiv/ThM degrees.

IMO, this seminary should not even think about offering anything beyond the M.Div. level, and, in all truthfulness, they shouldn't be anything more than a Bible college.

7. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    DR. DOROTHY C. YOUNGBLOOD
    VICE PRESIDENT FOR BUSINESS AFFAIRS

B.A., Conservative Theological Seminary
    M.A., Conservative Theological Seminary
    MDiv.,Conservative Theological Seminary
    Ph.D., Conservative Theological Seminary
    Augusta College, Georgia
    Augusta Tech., Georgia
    Florida Community College

--------

Oh that's some academic inbreeding right there!

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very few (if any) of the small, unaccredited, external-ed programs have the right to offer a legitimate Ph.D.

Might as well just send the money and buy it. That is more honest academically. :rolleyes:

9. Broadus

Broadus Member

Schools such are Conservative Theological Seminary are worse than a joke, and I hardly ever make such a caustic accusation. The thought that Luther Rice Seminary DMin grads are qualified to supervise PhD students is just plain silly.

I use only Luther Rice because I, too, have a DMin from there. It is a good DMin degree, but it is no way comparable to PhD work.

I say that CTS is worse than a joke---it is blatantly dishonest. If honesty prevailed, CTS would offer perhaps Bible institute diplomas.

Bill

10. UZThD

UZThD New Member

It shows by the faculty there who list their PhDs from this school as some sort of a qualification just how deep is the desire in some , perhaps otherwise good Christians, to be called "Dr" regardless of how the degree is obtained. The irony is that some, even on BB, see grads of substantial programs as prideful when rigor is discussed as an important requisite for study.

I cannot fathom how DTS and LR grads can associate themselves with such a school in its present condition of appearing oblivious to its farcical PhD program. But then , maybe I too have unsanctified dark corners in my life. God shed His illuminating light in us all, please.

11. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Never heard of these guys.Who are they?Did they morph out of another school?

12. Broadus

Broadus Member

Hi POB,

I may be wrong (and I have a pretty good track record at being wrong!), but I think there was some relationship with Luther Rice long ago. It seems as though Youngblood (Jr., I think) was president of the student body of LRS back in the 1980s.

Bill

13. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

14. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Broadus,

You are correct as to Jr. I know the school, ministry , and Youngbloods personally. They are good people without a doubt. I consider them friends.

As to the school, I know they have several other, whatchamacallem's, uhhh... like visiting professors, who come in to lecture from time to time. I don't think it is quite a diploma mill.

I tend to agree as to the lack of terminal degrees on the faculty. I am considering working on a Masters degree, but looking elsewhere.

15. Broadus

Broadus Member

Mexdef,

There are good, reputable choices for doing Master's work. Settle on one of those so that your time, effort, and money are most effectively put to use.

Concerning CTS, something is not quite right when 3 of the 4 administrators are members of the same family. I also noticed that Youngblood, Jr., did not finish his Luther Rice work.

Blessings,
    Bill