1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Conservatives Should Stay With GOP

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ps104_33, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

"A group of social conservatives recently made headlines by suggesting they might abandon the GOP and run a third-party candidate for president if former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani were nominated by the Republicans. Giuliani’s pro-choice views make him anathema for many social conservatives, and these leaders have been expressing the frustration of many who believe they do not have a natural candidate in the GOP field.
    This course is a profoundly bad idea for the very cause that these conservatives are trying to advance. Let’s mention five reasons why this would set back the pro-life cause for years to come."

http://pundits.thehill.com/2007/10/05/conservatives-should-stay-with-the-gop/

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good points, actually. Conservatives should continue to work within the Republican Party.

Good luck to conservatives. In today's GOP they will need lots of it.

3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

What I see of the GOP, they are liberal too.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It is a very good article. My hope is that it does not come to a vote for Giuliani or a third party. A third party in this particular case will hurt Republicans. There have been other elections where the third party hurt the Democrat (ie 68, 80, 00)

5. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And just how far left are you willing to follow the "party"?

I'm 71, and was a D back in the 50's, but the D party started moving left (they then were to the right of the Rs now) and I switched. I am registered as R, but am actually more of an I; (you have to be registered here in order to vote in the party primary.)

Can you just imagine the dillemma I would have, as a Christian, had I maintained my D affiliation??

Point being, as many Ds said last few years, "My party left me, I didn't leave the party!"

How long do you maintain your part in "PARTY UNITY" before you have sold your soul to the devourer?????????? When is ENOUGH"?

These last few years have just about given me my fill of RINOS and liberals, and I'm convinced that God has destined this country for judgment, and that is why all the political/moral garbage is so prevalent. We are following in the footsteps of ancient Israel, and God is preparing the "Babylonians" to take over!

MARA NATHA!!!!

6. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I am 66 and I live in the most Republican state in the union--Indiana. We will never vote for Hillary here. The last time a Democrat carried Indiana for the White House was LBJ in 1964 when the GOP rejected Goldwater. As my uncle said, they told me that if I voted for Goldwater there would be a war in Viet Nam--I did vote for Goldwater and sure enough there was a war in Viet Nam.

For the most part, I am going to abide by the decision of the majority of GOP voters nationally. However, I will never vote for a Mormon cultist like Romney. I am leaning towards Fred Thompson. If the South accepts Rudy based on the idea that he will support the Reagan platform in the spirit of majority rule, then I will go with the South. Let the Republican people speak.

7. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I openly hope for the complete and utter destruction of the Republican party. It consistently does NOTHING for the social conservatives, yet continues to pander to them to get votes during every election cycle. I'm sick of being taken for granted. If the GOP nominates Rudy Guiliani, I hope Hillary wins. I won't vote for her, though, because I can't personally support her with my vote.

If conservatives support a liberal candidate, then they've shown that the letter next to the name is all that matters, not their cherished positions. I'm sorry, but my positions matter far more than the GOP. If it takes another Clinton administration to show that, then so be it. I'll take 4 years of Hillary to prevent the complete liberalization of the GOP.

If the GOP knows that conservatives will vote for a liberal candidate, then there is no reason to nominate a conservative that will upset more liberal voters. Nominate the liberal and win the election. Good luck on getting any progress on pro-life issues then!

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would be for the good of our nation if that happened. We need a major party alternative to the Democratic Party, not an echo.

9. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Too busy making money

Unfortunately, conservatives are too busy making money to worry about politics. Conservatives have not made their case well with the everyday man and I don't know why since we have the better case by far. However, conservatives are a minority and they do not even fund the GOP--the country club and Wall Street do. Until conservatives get off their high horse and start to work for the GOP, there never will be a conservative presence on important issues such as a constitutional amendment to protect the life of the unborn child.

Most conservatives are saying that unless they name the candidate they are going to stay at home. Since politics is the art of compromise, that sort of talk only makes ordinary people question the dedication of conservatives, and rightly so. Independents are just people who are too proud to work with a given party.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a bunch of baloney. I wish more people were independents or members of minor parties.

If the two major parties actually offered something of substance to restore constitutional government in these United States you might have a point. But they don't.

11. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I still have hope for the GOP. But it's on the wane.

12. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What you want is a French-style republic. Independents have it easy. They don't have to support any party whatsoever and they can just sit in their lazy boy chairs and say that they couldn't work for anything less than perfection on earth. They are cold and imperial.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are confusing them with President Bush and his neo-"conservative" supporters.

14. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: :laugh:

Ken, you are a lot of fun to debate because you always have a comeback. Best wishes to you and yours!

cmg :type:

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Ken has a secret desire for Vice President Cheney to become the Republican nominee with James Dobson as his running mate.

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If that ticket won I would have to seriously consider moving back to my family roots in Scotland. :)

17. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Yeah man, then I would have an oil rig in my back yard and every young girl who got an abortion would get the death penalty.