1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Consider Jack and Joe - who is worse?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Aug 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Question beg much?

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When He became sin.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No, when He became human.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dude. You need to learn the Gospel.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Dude. You need to find a short pier and take a long walk.

6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Not really. My response was truthful. It is pointless to attempt a response to remarks such as those by Benjamin!

I understand that I am a thorn in the side of some Skandelon and that is fine but I am not the only thorn on the board. Some moderators, who should be impartial, have exhibited open hostility to my posts because they don't comport with their doctrine. I have questioned no ones salvation, my salvation has been questioned, which is a No! No!, yet that questioning was passed over.

You accuse my post of being inflammatory. I ask you, are the following remarks in Benjamin"s post inflammatory!

Is Benjamin questioning my salvation and the salvation of all who believe as I do in a clever deceitful way?

Addendum:

I would also point out Skandelon that two of my first three posts are as follows. Nothing inflammatory in these which express my opinion as far as presenting the Gospel to the unsaved. The 3rd was a response to you.

#106 OldRegular, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2012
  7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Winman
    .We do not have to get around it....just understand what it says

He is the saviour of all men......there is no other saviour:
    12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

That is what it is talking about.:thumbs:

Nothing said that, and the language of the covenant does not require it.

We do not have to, because the church is made up of sinners.
    All the elect are sinners even as others. God elects them out of fallen humanity because no man seeks God ......no...not one..... eph2 1-3
    Winman....Jesus would not have to say....I lay down my life for the sheep....if he laid down His life for all men...

PAUL would not have to say he purchased the church with His own blood...if he died for all.

On the contrary...satan would attempt to accuse me that way...however:
    24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

I believe Jesus, His person and work , His covenant promises:thumbs:

I have no desire to be unfaithful and disobedient to the word.In fact I believe telling sinners the truth about election and God's covenant is more proper and biblically compelling.
    I do not struggle with this at all...in fact it gets results .

8. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

Yet, it is already the case that he was one of the elect or not. So, how would you reason with someone who replies, "It cannot be argued against that doing what one actually does proves the predetermination of God and it is the case that it can not, could not and will not be different than what is, was and will be."

It does not seem like a paradox to me, but a contradiction, and live with it the calvinist must.

9. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

10. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

AMEN AMEN AMEN!!!

WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE???? These two men are bound for the pits of HELL! You're involved in a worthless spitting contest (not the word I wanted to use but ....).

Isn't it worth the effort to SPEAK to BOTH these men about Jesus? To see if we can open their eyes to truth.

These two camps are man's interpretation of what they THINK God is saying. Of course, each one thinks they're absolutely correct. However, isn't what really matters what GOD thinks, what GOD does??? I read in His Word to ask, to call upon the name of the Lord, that God would that not one be lost....seems to me the wise thing to do is sit down with the two J's and talk to them about salvation and let GOD do the rest.

11. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

This whole thread is much ado about nothing(kinda like who shot John). Not one lost person, who comes to God in faith believing, will He cast aside. I agree that we need to speak to all sinners in the same manner. That w/o God in their lives, they will suffer in eternal torment.

#111 convicted1, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2012
  12. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

How is that question begging? I didn't presume true a point up for debate. I simply argued that a doctrine being more or less palatable tells us nothing about the truth of that doctrine. And I showed that wasn't even the point of the OP...a point, btw, that you have yet to address.

13. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I agree convicted1. That is the way I was saved, I believe that is the way all are saved.

That being said, once I was saved and understand Scripture I can ask the question: Why do I believe and others do not? Why is it that others "could care less"? I believe Scripture provides that answer, and the answer is that Salvation is only through the Sovereign Grace of God; what some call the Doctrines of Grace and others call "Calvinism".

14. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

You know, Brother Baker, there are things I find in the scriptures that causes me to pause, and really think about what I believe. Many times, I implore God to show me if I am wrong or not. I am not saying I am 100% sure in what I believe, but it is what I have gleaned from my studies. That being said, I do wonder at times if I am correct.

15. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Angels were only part of the question...the other was saved humans in heaven...They don't sin...it is because God somehow prevents them, overriding their free willl...and if the answer is no, but they no longer want to sin...why is that?

Why Does free will automatically mean 100% sin? Seems like it would be more around 50%...if free will is defined as not being caused to make one decision or the other, but each person makes thier own decision...?

For me the only answer to this is that we are each born with a sin nature.

16. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I kinda think the answer to why we will not sin in heaven has to do with our bodies. We were created with corruptible bodies, but in heaven, we will have a body likened unto Jesus' most glorious body. Our bodies there will be incorruptible.

17. Winman

Winman Active Member

I could ask you the same question, only in reverse, why did any angels rebel at all? Two thirds of the angles never sinned, so why did one third sin and rebel? Obviously at least one third of the angels had free will, otherwise they could not have sinned.

This is a common Calvinist tactic, to ask a question that no one can answer. Somehow they feel this supports their doctrine when it does not.

Calvinists often ask if men have free will, why has not one man in history never sinned? Well, the answer is that there is one man who has never sinned, and that was Jesus Christ.

Asking questions that no one can answer does not prove either side in this debate.

To me it is not surprising that all men sin, we live in a wicked world with thousands of temptations. What is remarkable to me is that Jesus could live as a man in this wicked world and never sin.

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Jesus took on the nature of Abraham, and yet was sinless. How then did He escape this in His fleshly body? He was tempted in all points such as we are, and yet was sinless. If we are born with a sin nature, then how did Jesus bypass this, seeing that He was born by Mary?

BTW, I do believe that Jesus was tempted, but was not able to sin, because He was/is God manifested in the flesh.

19. Cypress

Cypress New Member

As honest and paradoxical as kicking him out of an airplane at 5000 feet and telling him to pull the ripcord or he will die. Only the elect have parachutes.

20. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I think you missed the point of the OP (and apparently so did many others). The point wasn't whether or not we should attempt to witness to these individuals. That is a given. The point was to contrast the two systematic views of mankind to demonstrate that the non-Calvinistic view doesn't have a 'higher view of man' as is often the claim of those from the Calvinistic camp. Both of these men don't even exist. They are representations of what a lost man would look like in each of the respective world-views. It is a suppositional argument where we suppose each of the views is correct so as to compare them side by side. Understand?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.