1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Considering higher education...

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Trinity C., Apr 8, 2006.

1. Trinity C.

Trinity C. New Member

I am considering higher education and was looking for some hints and help as to where I should look into. I am a HS grad only and travel is out of the question and funding is also an obstacle. I am aware of "distance-learning" and thought this would be most suitable. Any suggestions from BB members where to look? Thanks.

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Sure, however I don't know what your goals (area of interests) are. Liberty University offers several undergraduate degree programs online. Some of the programs do require short (one week) modulars on campus but many of their programs do not.

Other schools are mainly Bible colleges/seminaries but they do offer undergraduate degrees online.Luther Rice University offers degrees via distance learning. Moody Bible Institute also offers some online programs.

Does that help?

In Christ,
    Martin.

3. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    TC,

What are your goals--ministerial or what? That would help us a great deal in our discussions with you.

sdg!

rd

4. James Flagg

James Flagg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. I assume you're talking about a ministerial degree of some sort. Some degrees are impossible to do online (e.g. biochemistry).

I took three online courses from my university and I can tell you that they all required a TON of writing. Much more than a traditional class.

5. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    James Flagg &,

TC,

I teach an online survey of World Religions class. For it to maintain the same course # as the "in class" lecture version we have to have the same course content, according to Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).

That means that the young students have to do 3 hrs of work b/f they ever begin to do the homework, reading, textsbook work (there are 4 textbooks), critical book reviews, tests, et al.

The GPA for the online is consistently 1/2 to one whole letter grade lower. The students do not have the ability nor discipline to do the work outside the inclass/lecture format generally speaking.

TC, beware; if it is an online RA school the work load is going to be tremendous. Many, and I don't know anything about you personally, cannot handle the work load or have the personal discipline to endure.

Food for thought! FWIW!!!!

sdg!

rd

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Indiana University has an online degree in general studies. This is an old fashioned liberal arts degree and a good basic education. You can get an associates and then bachelors. Most courses are offered via correspondence and have a lengthy completion time. You can take one or more at at time. They also accept Clep tests and courses from your local community college for transfer.

Distance Ed at Indiana University

At least a couple of us here on the board have undergrad degrees from Indiana :D

Good luck in your quest!

7. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Yeah can't go wrong with a degree from Indiana :D

8. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

How'd I know you'd agree with that Pastor!?! [​IMG]

9. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

If you're not looking for a ministry degree you might consider Charter Oak State College in Connecticut. It is regionally accredited by NEASC. Students complete their degrees by taking on-line courses, transferring courses from other schools and by taking tests. I've heard good things about the school. It appeals more often, I think, to older students looking for alternative education.

http://www.cosc.edu

10. Nord

Nord New Member

There are also foreign options. South African Theological Seminary would meet the ministerial part and the cost part. http://www.sats.edu.za

South Africa has a well respected educational system (British Style). There are several folks teaching in US universities who earned doctorates through a South African school (often University of South Africa) but there are others. South Africa Theological Seminary is relatively new, equivalent of accredited and very affordable.

I would always stick with an accredited option for undergraduate UNLESS and this a big UNLESS you are absolutely sure that an unaccredited degree will meet your current and future needs. Let me give an example, if you wanted to teach in a denominational school and only a degree from a denominational school would do that might be a case. There are certain well respected schools (Wisconsin Synod or Lutheran Brethren) that may be unaccredited at certain levels and you have to have their degree to teach in their parochial system.

Getting an accredited degree will give you the most versatility. SATS would be good for a ministerial degree (affordable) also some schools to check out for secular degrees that are affordable and take a number of credit options (and are regionally accredited):
    http://www.tesc.edu
    http://www.excelsior.edu
    as mentioned http://www.cosc.edu

Good luck and keep us updated.

NOrd

11. Trinity C.

Trinity C. New Member

Sorry for not being more detailed about my goals. I believe I am called to teach God's Word and that is my desire, a friend of mine has also said that I should be in prayer to see if God is leading me into the pastorate. I admit though that I have only been focusing on teaching His word, (but will go where I'm called). I have read the recent posts and thank you all for your advice! I will check back later to see if anything has been added

12. Trinity C.

Trinity C. New Member

Another thing I was wondering along with my first consideration was: is it necessary for an individual to seek further education to teach or pastor a body of believers? Or can the leaders of the church test that individual to see if he is able to fulfil the requirements of such positions?
    I only ask because of Paul's teachings to Timothy.