1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Considering the problem of depression & discouragement!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jim62, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No physical condition can cause mental illness. That is like saying a physical condition can make a person lust or steal or commit adultery. Jesus said this;
    And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? [fn] Being anxious can cause depression but being anxious means we are not trusting the Lord and we are sinning. All depression is due to sin.

2. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

A malfunctioning brain does indeed cause mental illnesses.

What about mental retardation? Is that because of sin also?

John

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Retardation is not mental illness. Those are two different issues. Being retarded only means that the person does not have the capacity to learn as much as another person or have limited motor control. They still know the difference from right and wrong and can make choices. I know of many retarded people who receive the Lord so your argument is vain. All depression is from sin.
    As far as A malfunctioning brain causing mental illnesses that is not true. The sin causes the person to shipwreck the brain which is diagnosed as mental illness. Look in the Book of Daniel and see if the kings sin came first or the mental illness came first when he turned to eating grass like a cow. It was the sin first as it always is in so called mental illness cases.

#23 freeatlast, May 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2012
  4. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

FAL- Are you saying that someone in a depressed state is sinning (by being depressed)? I do not speak of the cause but of the suffering the depression itself.

5. jim62

jim62 New Member

Let me put something out there, Iv'e been on staff at a rescue mission now for going on 2 years. We have 111 to 150 men come in every night. I have seen it all, it's bad when you have to tell a man to get in the shower because he smells. We have guys talk to them self, we have guys that one day talk to you like their best friend, the next day they don't know you. I work with the worst of the worst. I see depression first hand, I see guys out of it some times and I think to myself are they drinking or doing drugs, come to fined out the have low blood sugar because they didn't take their shot, and there is so much more.

6. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

So true, freeatlast... so true.

7. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jim- Sadly and to their shame there are those here who would claim that every one of those people, without exception, have only themselves to blame.

Sometimes the lack of compassion makes me think I'm on a secular forum.

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Except for the grace of God, you could be one of those people who is depressed. In a twinkiling of an eye, you could be in a depressed state that has nothing to do with sin, faith in the Lord, or Scripture. Then you would be begging for medicine, a kind word, or any other help you could grasp. Lets see how strong your faith would be then.

You twist Bible verses to match your own warped view of human suffering. There is nothing edifying in any of your comments. They are mean spirited, and frankly obnoxious, like a school yard brat.

There is nothing you have posted that in any shape, form or fashion patterns a Christian life, fruit of the Spirit, or Scripture.

9. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

When folks asked who sinned, the man born blind or his parents, Jesus answered neither.

Depression for me is triggered by inadequate b12 and vitamin d.

Now, its easy to say "eat right and get in the sun" but the risk of skin cancer is tooooo high for me to sun, and my body wouldn't absorb the b12 if I lived on liver.

So I take "medicine" in the form of vitamins. At one point we had to reset the brain chemicals with a year on an antidepressant.

So, rather than assume I sinned or was born sinful because I have had a clinical depression in the past, I refer them to Jesus.

Of course, some closed minds will argue with Him.

10. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Absolutely spot on.

11. Steadfast Fred

Except for the grace of God, you could be freed from depression. The pills sure don't do it, they only mask it for a while and then BOOM, time for another pill.

It is not a sin to have a bad thought or a trial to come on a person. Those are expected. But freeatlast is right. It is what one does with those thoughts is when it becomes sin.

The Word of God tells us that 'whatsoever is not of faith is sin.' Depression is a result of not placing one's faith in the Lord Jesus Christ who is the giver of peace. When one holds onto one's trials instead of giving them over to the Lord, that one is bringing on the depression himself or herself.

And that is where the problem lies.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ROFL...... you HAVE TO be kidding:laugh:....what horse manure! I have a niece who did that & I found her in the fetal position chanting Jesus Help Me, Jesus Help Me. She put her total faith in Christ too & I had to take her to a Mental Treatment Center in White Plains NY. Yes Jesus helped her.....TO GET HELP or else she whould have been dead today. So both you & that other simpleton keep taunting these folks with mental ailments....you are going to burn in hell for it.

13. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Medical advice dispensed by someone whose qualification is based on the nickname 'Doc'.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    sure Doctor Dre.....LOL..... Maybe Doc Holiday...... Are you a Dentist Doc? :laugh:

15. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

He said that some have been known to call him 'Doc'. I assume he's Buggs Bunny incarnate. He's just absurd enough to be.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps "Doc" as in "Quack"....maybe it should be "Duck"

all kidding aside, the guy is dangerous.....for obvious reasons. Many good & Christian folks suffer from mental problems ....its not a sin to have them......but he and Fal dispense a simple formula that they stupidly extrapolate from scripture and blanket it as a "Cure All" to all commers like a Mountbank selling snake oil to the ignorant. They may even be well meaning & sincere but do not understand fully God's plan & directives. If some poor soul commits suicide because of their "Playing God" ....then they have just exposed themselves to eternal damnation. Quite amusing if you think about it.....by trying to help, they infact hurt & invariably do more harm.

I do sincerely wish an administrator or moderator would step in to stop this obsessive blathering before someone gets seriously hurt.

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Yes, and the problem lies with the author of the quote.

18. Steadfast Fred

I have no fear of hell, nor any need to fear hell. I am in Christ Jesus. Your claims that I am going to hell are nothing more than ad hominem because you have no Scripture to prove me wrong.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently you have never gone through any emotional upheaval regarding this subject matter so you simply could not understand. You really are a very dangerous person.Whats more, by anyones definition,,,,,you sir are a QUACK.

20. Steadfast Fred

As I said previosuly, we all go through trials.

I could take my present situation and sit and sulk for hours, but no need to since I am in a relationship with the ultimate problem solver.

He meets my needs every day that I live.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.