1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Considering the problem of depression & discouragement!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jim62, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    since the OP is supposed to be about depression, may
    i suggest Martyn Lloyd-jones book "Spiritual Depression - Its Causes & Cure" Very good read!

2. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

How psychiatrists come up with disorders is not science, so I am not sure why you are bringing science into the debate.

On hidden camera, psychologists that were responsible for writing the DSM-IV admit that the way they come up with disorders is to make them up and then vote on them.

That is not science at all.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yes! I am afraid that the church ahs been duped into believing that the word of God does not work. Sadly for some they love that teaching and cling to it to keep from facing the truth, their sin.

For instance a so called eating disorder such as anorexia or bulimia, other types of claimed mental illness such as cutting or what ever all of which can lead to depression. Instead of dealing with them as they should be they are classified as a mental illness and the person given pills or other treatment. The truth is that they stem from sin. The same with every other claimed mental illness. They are start with sin.

#103 freeatlast, May 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2012
  4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Can you tell us what spiritual depression is according to him as well as cause and the cure?

5. Steadfast Fred

Interesting that the author reveals that the cure for false teachings, sin, vain regrets, fear of the future, feelings, weariness in well doing, trials, and the like is "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

On page 300, Jones writes: ‘That is it,’ says Paul, ‘and therefore I am able for all things through the One who is constantly infusing strength into me.’ That, then, is the prescription”

Pretty much what I have been saying all along.

6. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That fits nicely with the voodoo doll post earlier. Do I need my tin foil hat for the rest of this discussion?

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dont even consider likening yourself to ML-J......he was also a "Real MD Doctor" & quite good at it prior to becoming a full time pastor & preacher. He is also quite clear that there is a difference from "Spiritual Depression" & Clinical. I suggest you in particular read it. Note however he was a Welsh Methodist Calvinist so you might not agree with him on his theology.

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No you need to believe the bible instead of these false teachings by quackery.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No...read the book.

10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Can you show us in the bible where there is spiritual depression spoken of?

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I have read THE book and it is called the bible.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The real problem is that statistically only 7% of the Medical field are licensed psychiatrists meaning that most people with some form of depression or another are being diagnosed by local MD's & DO's who often prescribe something or another for what is usually simple anxiety....these are the people misdiagnosing & over prescribing. Many of them also add to their incomes by writing illegal scripts to drug traffickers.

If you were to examine the whole of the NYC Metro area (a microcosm of drug mis use) you would see that after 911 the abuse of prescription drugs skyrocketed to the point now that at many social gatherings they pop & trade prescription drugs like the 50 folk would mixed drinks. Its quite alarming.

13. Steadfast Fred

Listening to "The Myth of Mental Illness" by Rev. Dr. Robert J.K. Law, who worked in mental institutions for many years.

His view of mental illnes? Just as both freeatlast and myself have been saying, it is bogus.

He gives an illustration of a person sitting on a drawing pin and coming to him for help. Now, he could give that person something for the pain, but the pin is still there... the pill masks the pain but leaves the pin. The pin, left under the person, continues to dig and ultimately causes ulcers even though the person is feeling nothing.

Likewise, pills do not remove the spirit of depression, they only mask the symptoms. That which causes the depression is still within the heart of the person...digging deeper and ultimately causing more damage.

The only way to get rid of that which causes the depression is to turn it over to Jesus. To hold onto it is, as freeatlast pointed out, sin.

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

All mental illness stems from sin. Treating what is described as mental illness with drugs does not cure the claimed illness. The only cure is to deal with the sin that brought the symptoms on.

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

In scripture, I see where depression has several causes.

Demonic oppression: Saul, Nebuchadnezzar, various people of all ages during the time of Jesus.

One's own sin: David

Other people's sin against us: David

Oppression from Satan himself even though we have done no wrong: Job

Other reasons for depression:
    Trauma to the body (surgery, injury)
    War, abuse (physical or mental)
    Hormone imbalance
    Death of a loved one
    Divorce
    A thorn in your side (Paul)

We should always take it to Christ, and sometimes God takes it away and sometimes He doesn't. I don't know why.
    But to broadbrush every single case of depression by blaming the individual for a lack of faith is despicable in my opinion.

#115 Amy.G, May 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2012
  16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What sin did Job commit? God said he was blameless and upright. Do you know something God doesn't know?

Not ALL mental illness stems from sin!

You are like Job's "friends" who said his losses were the result of Job's sin. God did not like their judgement.

17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yes all so called mental illnes is from sin. What are you refering to in Job?

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Have you read Job? Do you seriously need to ask this question?

19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Put on the whole armor of God and you will not suffer depression. Sadness is not depression. All claimed mental illness is from sin.

20. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yes what I have read Job. What part are you pointing too that suggests that Job was mentally ill?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.