1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Considering the problem of depression & discouragement!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jim62, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Those with other than ZERO discernment can find an example in DHK's post above. Can you show one clinical example where depression is caused by sin?

That being said it is people like you who live in the "Dark Ages" regarding mental illness and con some people into believing that mental illness is a sin. Such a belief can lead to hopelessness and suicide! Sadly even some pastors are as ignorant as you concerning mental illness.

2. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

OldRegular-:thumbs:

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Amen Sister! You are one perceptive lady!

4. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

FAL, Steadfred- In Isaiah 53:3, Christ is described as "A man of sorrows and acquainted with grief".

What sin of His caused this?

Afterthought- There are a few times, during His earthly ministry, that I can think of that Jesus wept: Lazarus's death, weeping over Jerusalem, Garden of Gathsemene. I can think of no mention of Him laughing.

#164 Arbo, May 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2012
  5. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some posts are really strange in their thinking.

There are posts expressing the opinion that there cannot be any mental illness because there is no picture of the mind, but post the verse "let this mind be in you..."

There are posts that boast that no scientific proof of the mind exists and argue against the use of mental illness. If there is no mind, there can be no illness of the mind, yet the Scriptures talk about and uses the term mind.

They post the extreme position that "pills mask" and confession of sin is what is best to resolve issues to something they argue doesn't exist.

6. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

But it would require using one's mind to make a logical case.:smilewinkgrin:

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Would you like some cheese with your whine? Sing us a sad song.

8. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Old Regular, I am not a member of the cult Christian Science.

But I am smart enough to know that the mind is immaterial. One can purchase all the books written on the human anatomy and read every one adn still not find a picture of the mind.

There is not one single body part identified as the human mind in the human atlas.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

OR,
    We finally agree on something. Amazing, isn't it? I went back to school a few years ago and had a class in world religions. One night, we had a speaker from the Christian Scientists. He gets up to the podium, and starts in on medical care and a lack of faith. About half way through is talk, I realized he was wearing glasses, and I could not resist. I asked him why he was wearing glasses. He said because God had not healed his eyes yet. I asked him when God planned on doing that, and he had no response. There was nothing but silence in the room. The professor took five points off my participation grade, which was all good. I still made an A.

10. fortytworc

fortytworc Member

moved post ----

#170 fortytworc, May 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2012
  11. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

You may want to get on your phone and call the Mayo clinic and update them on Sheehan's Syndrome, you obviously think you know something they do not.

Of all the symptoms listed by the Mayo Clinic for Sheehan's, not one of them mentions depression.

If women are depressed after giving birth, it is not because of Sheehan's but rather because they are dwelling on something instead of giving it over to God.

12. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would assume you agree with:

1) the mind is figment of imagination,
    2) the mind is ethereal and has no form or substance,
    3) the mind cannot be made up - so it is feminine,
    4) the mind is not of this world.

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You might want to go to the Mayo clinic and check in.

14. fortytworc

fortytworc Member

No it does not. Your guess is wrong.
    Is that your response to my 2cents worth?
    I could be mistaken, but I thought I had some legitimate points which were posted in a respectful manner and warranted more than what looks to be a slough-off remark. Jesus is the answer to all of mankind's problems, but he is not the one that answers a 911 call for me if I need my appendicts taken out. He has given doctors who will be at the hospital.
    Again Are you just going to slough off a serious, respectfully posted point?

I am not desperate. It is interesting FAL that you presume to know my motives. I am making an attempt at respect in some legitimate questions for Stedfast Fred.
    Is this all you have to offer me by way of an answer FAL? Do you think you can make an attempt at affording me the same courtesy?

What I have been trying to say was that Paul was letting it be known that "WE ARE TROUBLED, yet Not Distressed.
    or (2Cor 4:8 [mkjv1962])
    in every [way] Having BEEN TROUBLED, but Not having been HEMMED IN; Having Been PERPLEXED, but Not Utterly at a LOSS;

(2Cor 4:9 [mkjv1962])
    having been PERSECUTED , but Not Forsaken; having been thrown down, but not having been destroyed;
    Paul admits to being TROUBLED, PERPLEXED, PERSECUTED, THROWN(CAST) DOWN. He then says after each thing on the list that the worst did not happen [Persecuted; not forsaken]

He does not attribute the experiences of being being TROUBLED, PERPLEXED, PERSECUTED, THROWN(CAST) DOWN to any sin or lack of faith. He simply tells us what they went through; was glad that it didn't get worse and went on.

15. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Postpartum depression:Symptoms
    By Mayo Clinic staff

Signs and symptoms of depression after childbirth vary depending on the type of depression.

Baby blues symptoms
    Signs and symptoms of the baby blues — which last only a few days or weeks — may include:

Mood swings
    Anxiety
    Sadness
    Irritability
    Crying
    Decreased concentration
    Trouble sleeping

Postpartum depression symptoms
    Postpartum depression may appear to be the baby blues at first — but the signs and symptoms are more intense and longer lasting, eventually interfering with your ability to care for your baby and handle other daily tasks. Postpartum depression symptoms may include:

Loss of appetite
    Insomnia
    Intense irritability and anger
    Overwhelming fatigue
    Loss of interest in sex
    Lack of joy in life
    Feelings of shame, guilt or inadequacy
    Severe mood swing
    Difficulty bonding with the baby
    Withdrawal from family and friends
    Thoughts of harming yourself or the baby

Untreated, postpartum depression may last for a year or more.

Postpartum psychosis
    With postpartum psychosis — a rare condition that typically develops within the first two weeks after delivery — the signs and symptoms are even more severe. Signs and symptoms of postpartum psychosis may include:

Confusion and disorientation
    Hallucinations and delusions
    Paranoia
    Attempts to harm yourself or the baby

When to see a doctor
    If you're feeling depressed after your baby's birth, you may be reluctant or embarrassed to admit it. But it's important to call your doctor if the signs and symptoms of depression:

Don't fade after two weeks
    Are getting worse
    Make it hard for you to care for your baby
    Make it hard to complete everyday tasks
    Include thoughts of harming yourself or your baby

Getting early treatment for postpartum depression can speed your recovery.

If you suspect that you're developing postpartum psychosis, seek medical attention immediately. Don't wait and hope for improvement. Postpartum psychosis may lead to life-threatening thoughts or behaviors.

Causes
    By Mayo Clinic staff

There's no single cause for postpartum depression. Physical, emotional and lifestyle factors may all play a role.

Physical changes. After childbirth, a dramatic drop in hormones in your body (estrogen and progesterone) may contribute to postpartum depression. Other hormones produced by your thyroid gland also may drop sharply — which can leave you feeling tired, sluggish and depressed. Changes in your blood volume, blood pressure, immune system and metabolism can be further stresses that contribute to fatigue and mood swings.
    Emotional factors. When you're sleep deprived and overwhelmed, you may have trouble handling even minor problems. You may be anxious about your ability to care for a newborn. You may feel less attractive or struggle with your sense of identity. You may feel that you've lost control over your life. Any of these factors can contribute to postpartum depression.
    Lifestyle influences. Many lifestyle factors can lead to postpartum depression, including a demanding baby or older siblings, difficulty breast-feeding, exhaustion, financial problems, and lack of support from your partner or other loved ones.

In addition, some women may be genetically more vulnerable than others to postpartum depression. However, it's not clear whether hereditary factors that increase a woman's risk of postpartum depression are different from those that increase her risk of depression overall.

Fred and Free have the following prescription:
    Confess it as a sin, put on a happy face, and count it all joy because the mind doesn't exist so you can't be depressed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.