1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Contemporary Christian Music: Good or Bad

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Dallasdid, Aug 20, 2003.

?
  1. Good- Contemporary Christian Music is great

100.0%
  2. Bad-Contemporary Christian Music is wrong

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Xingyi Warrior

Xingyi Warrior New Member

In an artistic sense I think that this is one of the main reasons that art, from in the Christian sense has always been lacking in the musical arena. During the 80's Christian music variety paled in comparison to that available in the secular realm and what was available generally lacked quality in comparison. A person who has true artistic ability and who is a Christian should let their talent flow and create things. But thats hard to do when you have a litmus test placed on everything you do by a constituency of Christians who may or may not comprise your fan base and are more than willing to brand anything you do that does not dovetail with their preconcieved notions as satanic. This hampers true creative talent and is a motivating factor in why Christian music usually replicates secular music and laggs behind by about 2 years. Music nowadays in general is in crisis because it has been coopted by marketing manipulation and socioeconomic tageting and people are tired of manufactured bands lacking in talent or creative ability other than what some recording company engineered.

[ August 31, 2003, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

2. DCK

DCK New Member

Like almost everything else, some CCM is good, some is not as good. Personally, I enjoy a lot of CCM, although I admit I don't follow it as closely as I once did.

As an aspiring writer (no musical skills here), I am sure I will be judged or looked down upon by some since my stories are not overtly Christian. I adhere to Christian principles when writing (no profanity or sex, the hero is of strong moral character, etc.), but the name of Jesus may not be explicitly brought out. Is this a sin? I don't think so. There are many ways to honor our Lord, and in most cases others are not qualified to judge whether we are really glorifying God or not. That is between ourselves and Him.