1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Contemporary English Version

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by TLH, Oct 24, 2003.

1. TLH

TLH New Member

My church is currently going through "The Purpose Driven Life". I have heard/read some bad things about this book. But anywho, my question is about the Contemporary English Version. It (as well as several other translations) are used as references to back up what is stated in the book. My main complaint begins with chapter 13 of the book. Warren uses 1 Cor 14:16-17 to back up his claim that "God insists that our worship services be understandable to unbelievers..."

1 Corinthians 14:16-17

"16 Otherwise, if you bless with the spirit, how will he who occupies the place of the uninformed say "Amen" at your giving of thanks, since he does not understand what you say? 17 For you indeed give thanks well, but the other is not edified. " (NKJV)

1 Corinthians 14:16-17 (CEV)

"Suppose some strangers are in your worship service, when you are praising God whith your spirit. If they don't understand you, how will they know to say, "Amen"? You may be worshipping God in a wonderful way, but no one else will be helped."

Now, I am probably making more of this than it is, but this passage (in my understanding) is talking about speaking in tongues, not about making unbelievers feel "comfortable" in church.

So, what is your opinion of the Contemporary English Version? (I will save my questions about "The Purpose Driven Life" for another post. :D )

Thanks a bunch!

2. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

As you may know KLH, I trust nothing but the King James Bible. I don't like this book because of the many versions that are being used in it. I would have to agree with you about the context of this verse, it is talking about speaking in tongues. Maybe Mr. Warren believes in speaking in tongues, but not in front of unbelievers, either way he's wrong.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe it is called an analogy. He is showing in one case (tongues) that the unbeliever or uninformed will not feel comfortable. That is - according to Purpose Driven - analagous to other parts of our services where unbelievers/uninformed may also not feel comfortable.

Don't think he is into "tongues" per se, but using it as support for the principles involved.

BTW, we all do this frequently, so wouldn't make much of it. There are OTHER reasons to fuss with Purpose Driven or with English versions that are poor translations.

4. Forever settled in heaven

1. neither Warren nor CEV says anything abt feeling "comfortable."

2. CEV says "helped," which is an equivalent of the rarer word "edified."

go ahead n knock Warren, but don't u touch the CEV!!! [​IMG]

5. Keith M

Keith M New Member

On a scale of 1 (worst) - 10 (best)...

CEV - 3.5
    Revolve Bible (CEV) - 1.5

6. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

The Contemporary English Version is not a good translation and I would not recommend it to do an indepth Bible study or have as your main Bible HOWEVER I remember at my past Church we always had a CHRISTMAS EVANGELISM CAMPAIGN and a EASTER EVANGELISM CAMPAIGN (We also do this at my current church) in which we would go door to door distributing New Testaments. The Bible we distrbuted was the CEV. We later switched to the NIV because it is not as expensive as the CEV and is a better overall translation.

It is interesting however that we had a greater response from the CEV Bibles than the NIV. People would call the Church wanting one of those CEV Bibles. One of these persons was I believe a Prison guard who read one that a inmate had been given (apparently by a family member) and wanted one of our CEV Bibles. Because of the better response over the CEV Bibles I am considering asking the Church maybe to buy the CEV Bibles for our Easter Campaign 2004 rather than the NIV. I am not sure yet but it seems the CEV was being read. Maybe the place for this translation is in Evangelistic outreach. [​IMG]

7. Elk

Elk New Member

Dear Kiffin,
    Regarding which one of the two, I would pick the NIV. My reasons would be how they treat the verses in John, and I John. Since, they are very important to the Deity of Jesus.
    Compare for example, John 1:18, 1 John 5:20, and those kind of verses.
    As for me, I do like the way the CEV is easy to understand, but I feel uneasy about the treatment of those two verses, for example.
    However, if I am not mistaken, the Answer Bible does use the CEV translation, and the new one that came out (the one with new essays), well, I love the essays in there. R.C. Sproul has a one page essay that lays inbetween the Old and New Testaments, and he shows a concise overview of what happened in between. I thought that was so well done.
    I also agree that new converts should start with an easy to read translation because I know that even for mature audiences, trying to read Romans and the I and II Cor. in the King James is very difficult to understand.
    But once understood, definitely should move on to more advanced/accurate translations if they are able to comprehend it.

But lastly, I want to say that I have often stuck my foot in my mouth when complaining about other Bibles, so please don't misunderstand me. A lot of Bibles today were made with a purpose.
    Some were made so that everyone could understand. I do believe that some were made to promote a doctrinal bias. Some were made unwittingly even, I believe.

But there is something so great about the easy to read translations for many people...in that instead of trying to figure out what a verse means or says, the reader can apply it immediately, versus spending precious time just trying to understand the difficulty worded-- sentence.

I do believe as well that those who send their manuscripts to publishers, should really know what the Greek says about every verse they quote.
    We are responsible afterall to deliver God's Word accurately.