1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Contemporary worship

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Craigbythesea, Oct 17, 2005.

1. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

The problem with this whole discussion is that many times we as Christians assume that the way we (LNTC) do things is the only way that it can be done or the only way that it should be done. Our way is the only way that honors God. That is where the majority of opinions are rooted. That is the point of view that most Christians have.

2. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I like the old hymns,bluegrass and southern gospel and I still like the Sunday school Children songs(The B-I-B-L-E yes that's the book for me).On rare occassion I like some of the contemporary songs.I consider that the music must be God honoring,in worship,praise,and in the mood it creates.I like a lot of the Gaither music.If the rythm of the music comes across as angry that is not God honoring.If the words are hypnotical repetition that is not God honoring.

When you are in church that should be the best time you have all week.You should feel loved and cared for in church.You should be discipled and taught in church.If the music aids and assists those things and honors and praises God then it is good.

3. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

What if the music comes across to you as angry, but it comes across to me as energetic and enthusiastic?

Isn't it cool how God made us all different, how we like different things. I hate to admit this in public, but my wife still likes disco music. I know, I shouldn't have told that, but it's true. Wouldn't the world be a boring place if we all liked exactly the same things! And what would we have to argue about then???

4. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Then I won't listen to it or be around it.That is my choice.As a man once said,"There is no acounting for taste".

Now as a Christian I would ask if you are trying to attract people to Christ or just make yourself happy?My thinking especially if I were a Christian musician is that I would want my music to bring people toward Christ not send them away.You have to remember in a church audience that there is a vast age difference (3-99)sitting there in the pews listening to what you do.

5. guitarpreacher

I agree with that. And that's why a lot of thought went into the musical style at our church. And it's why at age 46 I'm about the oldest one there. But that's okay, because there are probably 20 good churches in our area that are doing a great job of ministering to those my age and older. But with only a few exceptions, the generation that is now age 18 - 35 is noticably missing there.

6. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

So, here I am stirring around in the ashes of the old posts. Anyway, since this is a topic that seems to get almost everyone a little hot under the collar, I think there shouldn't be any problem in bringing it back up.

You mention how uncomfortable it was for you, having sung contemporary Christian songs all your Christian life (10 years), and then trying to enjoy the old hymns when you moved. So you can imagine how difficult it is for those who grew up years ago singing the traditional hymns, and having to try and get used to the new music.

I have noticed how the 'seniors' in church basically watch the words scrolling onscreen, and sort of shuffle around uncomfortably, but do not sing a word of the contemporary songs. They can't, and they get no enjoyment from them. And let's face it, one of the main reasons we sing in church is because it gives us enjoyment. When we sing the old hymns, I enjoy knowing that it's the same music that my grandparents and great grandparents sang, all about the same faith and the same Savior that they came to know, and walked with in their own lives.

So you music directors who have completely switched over to the contemporary; don't be so hoggish about it! Include some music that us old-timers can enjoy also!

7. Rachel

Rachel New Member

That's a shame. Older people shouldn't be against change. We are there to worship God so we should put aside our preferences sometimes and sing unto the Lord with our hearts and mouths. Our church sings hymns, Praise music, and special songs, and I think it's awesome.

8. le bel

le bel New Member

A lot of contemporary music sounds much like wordly music. I listened to it a lot when I was younger. I didn't get a "message" of Christ. I heard a lot of rock tunes that sounded like regular secular music. It's the appeal of the new age Christianity, it has the pop, rock, stamp of approval and many are lead to believe it's Godly music.

I hear little glorification in modern day Christian music. It is too much like the secular music and it offers false security and hope. For instance, good 'ole Jessica Simpson, a down home Christian girl from the country. During her breakout, she sang Christian pop/gospel songs, she mentioned she wanted to spread God's Word and gift. Did she spread it? I hear nothing of Christ, what I do see and hear is the tainting of what a Christian should be. She and Mrs. Federline/Spears who were raised Christian and sought to continue on with their roots mislead people.

Maybe, just maybe there are those who have a honest heart and want to reach the secular world with familiar music. But, not realizing what the music does and doesn't preach. Who makes the money? Does it support missions, a church, Christian organization? Or is it just their gain. It really depends what genre it is, is more about the beat or lyrics? Valid questions, indeed.

Not everything that is seemingly good is of the Lord. While some of it may be decent, wolves in sheeps clothing often comes to my mind.

9. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Well, I'm not all THAT old myself (52) but still...I'm sure that many people like contemporary and get something worthwhile out of it, and that is ok. But every church that I've been to in the last couple of years sings ONLY contemporary. I don't think it is right to exclude more traditional types entirely, and that's great that your own church doesn't do it that way.

10. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

You're right, several formerly Christian singers have used contemporary Christian music as nothing more than a stepping stone. It is very disappointing.

11. guitarpreacher

You're right, several formerly Christian singers have used contemporary Christian music as nothing more than a stepping stone. It is very disappointing. </font>[/QUOTE]That's not just a CCM thing. Ever hear of the Oak Ridge Boys?

12. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Sure have. Though I don't think Oak Ridge Boys ever went pop or got on MTV.

13. Gib

Gib Active Member

Hymns and/or contemporary songs should not be sung for our enjoyment. I always thought they should be sung to our Father in heaven for His enjoyment.

As far as not getting the message and only hearing the tune, you may not be listening for the right reason.

14. Songbird

Songbird New Member

Don't discount the powerful messages in hymns. I enjoy contemporary worship as well. But the church I attend now does strictly hymns. It was an adjustment, but I made it and pay attention to the words of the songs. Also, you could just as easily sing the contemporary choruses w/o really listening to the words as well. Sometimes it's a act of our will to enter into worship--be it w/hymns or contemporary songs.

Also, I am very glad that as a child/teen I learned all the old hymns. My husband and I go about once a month to a nursing home where he preaches and I lead the songs. If I didn't know the old hymns I could lead those dear people in worship.

Let's face it God anointed those who wrote songs on the 1800 and 1900's as well as today. Those old songs still have an anointing.

Take care.

15. Songbird

Songbird New Member

Forgot to mention, the old hymns were once considered "contemporary" in their day. Martin Luther used "bar music" for some of the best hymns--i.e. "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God."

16. guitarpreacher

Oh, I see, if they play your video on MTV you have compromised your testimony and sold out to the world, but if they play your video on CMT you're still okay? Way to be consistent.

17. le bel

le bel New Member

Oh, I see, if they play your video on MTV you have compromised your testimony and sold out to the world, but if they play your video on CMT you're still okay? Way to be consistent. </font>[/QUOTE]Have you seen MTV? I mean both are secular, but both are on different plains. I was partially raised on MTV by my liberal mother and a little CMT by my father; one did a lot more damage than the other.

18. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well, I'm not all THAT old myself (52) but still...I'm sure that many people like contemporary and get something worthwhile out of it, and that is ok. But every church that I've been to in the last couple of years sings ONLY contemporary. I don't think it is right to exclude more traditional types entirely, and that's great that your own church doesn't do it that way. </font>[/QUOTE]Our service often includes singing hymns written before the 1950s in a contemporary style and I love it.

I would also recommend speaking to the music directors in the same kind and understanding tone that you have done so here. Most would love to have encouraging constructive feedback, especially if they can improve the worship experience of a large segment of the congregation.

Some churches offer a "traditional music" and "contemporary music" service so that folks aren't left out.

19. nate

nate New Member

Recently I have listened to more Chr. Rap. I'ts awesome trust me when you go to school and hear emenim, 50cent,JaRule,or Snoop. Christian Hiphop has been exploding lately and it's because those artist are bold. They love God. Cross Movement has awesome cds where they not only praise God but encourage believers to study the Bible obey God's Word and stop compromising. Get Real! Thats the message. If you are interested you can go to www.crossmovementrecords.com you can check out a lot of songs. Listen to the whole song!

20. nate

nate New Member

I go to a SBC church that has just switched (2 yrs ago) to CCM our older members have no problem with this and I really enjoy it. It's been great we still do some hymns but the worship team plays with a little modern beat. Worship songs are incredible Some have great lyrics equal with the greatest hymns!

Amazing Love
    All in All
    Here I Am To Worship
    Awesome God
    Open the Eyes of My Heart
    Come Now is the Time to Worship

The music certainly doesn't drown out the words. There is no Scripture against using modern forms of music to reach the lost. I know an IFBC Pastor who rants against Christian Rock but by his own mouth he was saved at a Christian Rock concert. He doesn't realize how hypocritical this makes him look.