1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Context or Pretext in Interpreting Scripture?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Feb 26, 2008.

1. peterotto

peterotto New Member

Matt 24:30 "And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory."

Does this describe Jesus second coming? Answer: No. Jesus, or shall I say the angel described how Jesus would return back to earf in Acts 1:11 "this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven."

This verse describes judgment. See Isaiah 19, 2 Sam. 22. A.D. 70 is when this was fulfilled.

Remember, when a dispensationalist spews out garbage like "Jesus will be riding a white horse". Have the ignorant soul to read Acts 1:11 and then ask him what 'same manner' will Jesus return. lol

2. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Ac 1:11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

Could the ‘like manner" simply be referring the supernatural method utilized in its accomplishment, in spite of whether or not one time was not on a white horse and at another differently? Again, I am not trying to suggest my opinion, just delving into the realm of possibilities.

3. Sgt. Fury

Sgt. Fury New Member

Again, HP, I'd go with the plainest explanation possible. If the Bible says He went in the clouds and that He will return in like manner, I'd say that's how it will happen.

Nothing wrong with exploring possibilities, of course, we just don't want to go searching for what's right in front of us.

4. peterotto

peterotto New Member

In short. No. But that won't stop your imagination.
    Look at how other versions translate Acts 11:1
    NIV "will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven"
    NASB "will come in just the same way as you have watched Him go into heaven."
    Amplified "will return in [just] the same way in which you saw Him go into heaven."

Of course if you want to supernaturalize verses by saying "oh,...... anything is possible through God", then there is no reason to have a logical conversation with you.

5. Heavenly Pilgrim

Nothing wrong with exploring possibilities, of course, we just don't want to go searching for what's right in front of us.

HP: I am patiently waiting for some to suggest that the word ‘cloud’ in the GK is synonymous with the word ‘horse’ or that riding a horse could be symbolic to riding or coming in a cloud,….. you know like a horse comes in a ‘cloud of dust.’ Stranger things have surfaced on this list before, you know. :)

Seriously could not the Revelations ‘white horse’ be simply symbolic, while it might in reality be 'in like manner' simply descending in like manner as He ascended through the clouds?

Who is riding the white horse mentioned in Revelations if not Christ? I am just wondering what the white horse or its rider is referring to if not Christ at His second coming.

#45 Heavenly Pilgrim, Mar 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2008
  6. Sgt. Fury

Sgt. Fury New Member

Revelation is so full of symbolism and figurative language, I'd agree that the white horse could certainly be symbolic of clouds. I wouldn't carve it in stone or seal it with blood, but I'd admit it's a possibility.

7. peterotto

peterotto New Member

Revelation 19:15 "From His mouth goes forth a sharp sword"

Those who want to take it literally needs to tell us how they know when to take Revelation literally and when not too. This is something Tim LaHaye cannot answer.

8. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

9. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    the neat thing is that Rev 19, 20, 21 and 22 are in sequence and show very little symbolism.

Just read and accept them as they state the facts clearly.

The rest of the book of Revelation is a bit more difficult.

in Christ,

Bob

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Consider this a formal warning.
    Just because you may have a different way of looking at the Bible does not give you the right to call another poster's faith "garbage" nor refer to him as an "ignorant soul."

If you have forgotten the rules from the time that you first registered, please go to the link found at the bottom of every page and read them again. Personal attacks and calling names are not tolerated.

11. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Would this avoid personal attacks and be a kinder way to put it in line with the rules of this board? Simply call their beliefs heretical and then quote this famous passage to them, “Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.” :)

#51 Heavenly Pilgrim, Mar 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2008
  12. Sgt. Fury

Sgt. Fury New Member

You know, HP, I almost said something, but I thought I'd let it slide...