1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Contextualization of the Christmas story

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Greektim, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am adamantly opposed to contextualizing the gospel so people can fit it into their notions and etc. Example, if people don't know what a sheep is, don't change the animal to help them understand. Teach them what a sheep is...

So here is a Christmas video that contextualizes the story of Jesus birth. But I don't think it is the same type of thing. What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucM42-VMYK0

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We used it last year at our Christmas Eve services to begin the service. I think it is pretty good way of rightly using contextualization.

3. Herald

Herald New Member

I wasn't too bothered by the production other than the 2nd commandment violations. The message was good. I wouldn't call it hyper-contextualization.

4. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I completely agree and like the way you said that. It was a proper use of contextualization. The message and facts stayed the same. Only the medium was updated. I thought it was excellent.

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Unless I'm missing something, I agree.

6. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Good one! I think I will go to the source and purchase it.