1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Controversial Subject To Preach On

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Ulsterman, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am proudly historic ifb and so can "dis" my own folks. But can't say anything about the SBC or other groups.

(Kind of like Manage Don Baylor of the Cubs saying that Blacks are better in the heat of summer than white folks because they came from Africa and were bred for the heat. HE can say that, but I can't!)

2. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

There are unfortunately, SBC chruches in which this is the case.
    Since local Southern Baptist churches are independently operated and call or dismiss their own staff and deacons are elected by the local church. They do cooperate on many things like missions etc. They form their own constitution and rules, however, and I have seen where the pastor has almost complete control over the church and woe unto whomever dares to cross him.

3. Serving Him

Serving Him Member

One subject that I found out to be controversial is modesty. I landed in hot water for preaching on it (it is a problem here). I was surprised not because of the controversy but from whom it came from. The people it came from do not have a modesty problem. I could land in hot water almost every Sunday. I preach exegetical not topical but, it seems the books God leads me to are landing me in hot water. I guess that what you get for preaching God’s Word and not compromising.

4. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

i have a hard time understanding why straightforward bible preaching should be controversial in a bible believing church :confused:

5. Jamal5000

Jamal5000 New Member

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Boy Howdy, you're right. Mea culpa. No disrespect to whichever one. :rolleyes: