1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cooperative Baptist Fellowship

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Rebel, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

I don't know if there are any on here who would consider themselves moderate Baptists. I am one such person. Actually, I think my views range across the spectrum, but I am definitely traditional on ethics and morality.

In the past, I have been a supporter of the CBF, but now I have mixed feelings about it. They say they are not a denomination and so don't issue policy statements. Therefore, they have no stated policies on abortion, capital punishment, or homosexuality. They do have a hiring policy in place for the CBF organization which prevents the hiring of a self-avowed practicing homosexual.

I am all for autonomy, but I wish they would take an official stand on some of these issues. If they did, this would in no way interfere with local church autonomy. Local churches could still agree or disagree.

I do find it troubling that there seems to be a weakening in the CBF for the support of the traditional view of homosexuality. I base that on some recent meetings. Also, there are churches in my state that are CBF members which are affirming of homosexuality. I'm not sure how an organization that will not hire a practicing homosexual can allow churches to be members which affirm it. Can someone explain this thinking to me?

If anyone here is a moderate Baptist, do you or could you support CBF?

2. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IIRC, the peanut magnate, ex-POTUS Jimy Carter was/is a big supporter of the CBF. AFAIC, that's enough to be against it.
    Also have a friend whose pastor was a big fan of CBF, and his views were nowhere near what I consider typical Baptist beliefs. Course you have to realize I'm a dyed in the wool SB, so my evaluation may not :)D) be a good benchmark.

3. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

Thanks for your reply. Could you say what you consider "typical Baptist beliefs"?

I'm afraid I can't support the SBC or CBF, and especially not the Alliance of Baptists. I'm not sure where that leaves me.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you one who agrees with god on salvation in Christ alone, and that God condemns things such as abortion, gay marriages etc?

5. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

Yes..........................

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would that not then put you in good standing with SBC and majority of other Baptist churches?

My church is a member of the Great Lakes Baptists group, and what would we hold with that causes you concern then?

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not if he also holds to open theism and rejects substitutionary atonement. It would create big issues. He would have big issues with what is preached on average in the SBC.

8. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

I think you have stated it, except I would say that I am open to open theism, pardon the pun.

Also, I affirm women's ordination and oppose OSAS.

I am, though, traditional/conservative on moral and ethical issues. On that and polity, I could agree with the SBC. On theology, I have issues.

9. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

See my reply to Rev.

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just curious, do you hold that God is still learning then, as he has become part of His own creation, and thus decided to experience history same way as we do, in linear time?

And what scriptures would you use to support female pastos in local assemblies?

11. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

I wouldn't affirm or deny it. I am still working through my views on it. I lean toward a panentheistic (not pantheistic!) view, as found in the Eastern Orthodox tradition and Thomas Oord of the Church of the Nazarene.

Female pastors: Well, "In Christ Jesus there is neither male nor female...". There were women deacons, and apparently a female apostle. I can see the viewpoint of women not being senior pastors, although I don't agree with it. What I can't see is excluding them completely.

12. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My son attends a CBF church and I attend when I visit. Always enjoy going and the preaching is always excellent. I don't really notice any doctrinal differences between his church and my sister's SBC church, except for the women in leadership roles.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the their views on God then?

And us being one now in Christ refers to all of us having same realtionship to God, and as all being now part of His body, with same spieirual blessings, but does not mean that we have the same roles for him, as there were NO females in head leadership positions in the scriptures...