1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Copied Software

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by joeday, Aug 9, 2001.

1. Eric Kenney

Eric Kenney New Member

I was Going to Wait Till Later But Ill Say This Now There is a rule that alot of people Missread. Its call the "Second Copy Rule" And this rule states that if you own the authentic version of software , videogames , ect. (THIS RULE STANDS FOR SOFTWARE ONLY NOTHING ELSE) Its Very Legall To Have a second Copy of the the software . But it must be the exact Duplicate of the original software that you have . some people tend to get confused and think that if they own Software , Videogames , ect. You are allowed to download from the internet that exact same thing ... WRONG . This Only States That you May Have Exact Duplicates of something for personal and private use (for an example I Back Up A Lot of my videogames for the pc ... why ... well if anything ever damaged that software in anyway i have a backup ( The exact duplicate of that software) of the game so i wouldnt have to buy a new one ).

2. jcrowe

jcrowe New Member

This is something that I deal with daily. If you read some of the licence agreements that you agree to when you install software you will see that even though you paid for the program you have NO rights. You have the right to use the software on ONE computer. If you want to install it on another computer you must remove it from the first one. Some licenses state that you can only use it on one computer and can unistall it in order to place it on a differant computer.

There is a legal, ethical, & moral way to get away from this. Open Source software(GPL) believes that the user has certian rights that should not be taken away. With GPL'ed software you can make copies (they actually encourage it) and give to all your friends. One of the most well known examples of this is Linux. Linux replaces your microsoft window and mostly runs software that is 100% free. Also, you can't get a virus if you use linux. Viruses are made for Microsoft users & will not work on linux.

If anyone is interested in linux I would be happy to help you out in anyway I can.

3. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

This Is Ps104_33 Son Look For A Linux Topic By Eric_Kenney , Jcrowe . I Forgot to Sign In On My Name :( oops :D

[ August 23, 2002, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Ps104_33 ]

4. GloryBound

GloryBound New Member

In the recent past, this was a very touchy subject for me since I was VERY addicted to stealing software. I started working with computers back in the 70's and it did not take long for me to see that there was a way for me to get software without having to purchase it. I was addicted to stealing it and stole it even after I got saved in June of 99. I do not say that because I am proud of it, far from it. You see, I didn't see it as stealing. It was more like, it's there and someone said I could have it, or showed me how to take it. Funny how we can justify things in our mind. Especially if it is going to force us to give up something we "think" we want so badly! After I got saved the Lord was busy cleaning up other areas of my life. Then one day, out of no where, the Lord said "That's enough"! No more software unless you BUY IT!!! I knew it was coming but this was WAY TOOOO SOON! I wasn't ready!!! I needed weaning down, not just "STOP"! Ohhhhh if only God had spoken to this old hard head of mine I could of found a way of going around what He had said to me! But the Lord didn't speak to my head, He spoke to my heart. Could I do it??? Could I stop cold turkey just because He asked me too? You bet I could! I even found myself wanting to stop! I love Him, and I want nothing more than to make Him proud of me. The cleanup is on going even today. It seems like software is coming out of the woodwork of my home at me, luring me, teasing me to take it but I have been clean now for almost 3 weeks. Haven't burned a CD nor snitched a peice of software off the Internet for 3 WHOLE WEEKS!!!!! My testimony is important to me and I do not want to be a Christian who also steals. The lost are watching me every minute. They seem to know more about what a Christian should or should not be doing than I do! Some of those lost folks are even waiting for me to fall off the software wagon. If I fall off, do ya think I could ever lead them to the Lord? Maybe, but I would have to do a lot of lying if they ask me about the software I was stealing! Wouldn't be much difference in me and the lost then, would it?
    I used to think being a Christian would be easy thing in the world to do, but it's not, I have to work hard at it and trust in someone other than myself all the time or I will fall. God is so good to me!!!

Hallelujah I am on my way to Glory Land and I WON'T NEED software up there!!! :D

~~GloryBound 4 Sureeeeeeee
    (Just felt like sharing this with all of you and this seemed like the place to share it. This in no way reflects on any comment made above.)

5. jRich

jRich New Member

My sister's friend copied some software - expensive stuff.

I don't think it's wrong as long as you don't use it for wrong purposes.

And yes, I've used it to make stuff for my church too.

6. jcrowe

jcrowe New Member

So, it's okay to steal food from the grocery store if you are going to feed homeless people with it?