1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cops can't photo illegal workers in Houston

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Magnetic Poles, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

With all the talk about securing the borders and illegal immigrants, this is interesting. Cops in Houston cannot even take photos of undocumented workers to keep them off of private property while waiting for day work.

Full story at
    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/3254235

Partial story below:

July 6, 2005, 7:40AM
    Officers told not to photograph illegal day workers
    By ANNE MARIE KILDAY
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

The Houston Police Department has instructed officers not to photograph illegal immigrants seeking day jobs, after an incident last month prompted an outcry from an immigrant rights group.

Houston police Capt. Juan Trevino made the pledge to 400 people who attended a meeting Tuesday night organized by The Metropolitan Organization, an interfaith grass-roots political action group.

2. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

You can thank our Democrat leaders for that jewel of wisdom.

It is idiotic, but the Mexican population in Houston is the majority, so they get to pick the leaders.

3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

If your an American citizen taking part in a protest in New York you can expect police photographers to be out in force taking your picture. Not to mention all the "undercover" cameras mounted on light poles an such snapping photos of you 24/7.

4. Magnetic Poles

How can Mexicans pick the leaders? They are not allowed to vote if they are not Americans.

5. Bro. James Reed

I'm sorry. :rolleyes: The politically correct word for our more liberal friends here would be "Hispanic"...or is it "Latino"?

I'm from Texas, MP. Down here, we call them Mexicans.

6. Magnetic Poles

It has nothing to do with PC. Are they American citizens or are they Mexicans? I am assuming by your comment that you believe American citizens of Mexican descent are Mexicans. I lived in Houston for probably longer than you have been alive, James, and sorry, but down there WE did't ALL call them Mexicans. Just the guys in the white hoods and sheets who hung out over in Pasadena.

7. Bro. James Reed

Well, MP, all I can say is you must have had cotton in your ears while you lived here.

Mexicans is what they are called.

When and how long did you live here? Whereabouts did you live? Just curious.

8. Magnetic Poles

1955-1962
    1975-1992

Over the years in Bellaire, Sharpstown, and in Fort Bend County.

9. Bro. James Reed

My grandpa was stationed in Memorial Park during WWII and he and grandma both lived on the base there. They then lived in the Heights for a few years and finally moved to Spring Branch in 1956.

My parents moved on the NW side, out 290(Hempstead Hwy), after they married and that's where my brother and I were raised.

I now live in Cypress, a little further out 290.

10. Magnetic Poles

Cypress is a good area. I had a good friend who lived there until he died about 3 years ago.

Kwik Kopy headquarters is not far from there either. They used to be a customer of mine.

11. Bro. James Reed

Part of the Compaq Computers headquarters used to be about 2 miles from my house, but they closed this campus after HP bought them out. Now there is a 700,000 sq.ft. building sitting vacant on 290. I wish they'd donate it to my church. :D

I believe they are still operating the biggest part on Hwy 249 though.

There were an awful lot of houses for sale in my neighborhood after Compaq sold out.

Still, you would not believe how Cypress has grown, even in the last 3 years.

I've lived out here for 2 1/2 years and in that time, there have been 9 new separate neighborhoods built on Cypress-Rosehill and Mueschke Rds. We have a Super Walmart, Super Target, 6 banks, Home Depot, Signature Kroger, along with about 50 other stores all at the intersections of Cypress-Rosehill, Spring-Cypress, and 290. Fry Rd. has also been extended from I-10 to 290 and connects to Cypress-Rosehill.

There have probably been 15,000 new residents move in this area in the past 2 years.

It's really amazing, and seems to be happening in suburbs all over west and northwest Houston.

BTW, did you know that I-10 is being torn down and replaced with a 24 lane super highway? It's amazing.

12. Magnetic Poles

That is truly amazing. I came close to getting a job back there 5 months ago. The company office was near NW Fwy and Beltway 8. Unfortunately, they decided to go with someone already down there.

I would dearly love to move back to Houston for a number of reasons, but would have to get a job there first. Your part of town is a place I definitely would consider living, as well as Katy or The Woodlands. I doubt I would move back to Ft. Bend if I didn't have to.

Houses down there are about half what an equivalent home costs here. Yeah, you have no basements there, but they are overrated, and can flood and cause mold and radon gas. Colorado is beautiful, but expensive. I'd miss it here, but would adapt again to the traffic, fire ants, roaches, killer bees, hurricanes, humidity and heat! Lovely place it is!

13. Bro. James Reed

It really is home.

I got away to Ft. Worth for a week in June and I had so many nose bleeds. I can't take the dryness and the heights.

I would probably bleed to death in Colorado! [​IMG]

This morning, about 11am, the temp was 93 and the heat index was 105. Now I can actually breathe again after the weak humidity in June.

The home prices, even with Cypress compared to other areas around town, is just unreal. When we were house hunting in 2001, the price of a floorplan in Cypress was about $20,000 less than the same floorplan over near Tomball and Spring.

Still, Houston, in general, has a much lower cost of living than other major cities, even many of the ones that are smaller.

I looked on Yahoo. If 100 is the national average for cost of living, then Denver is a 135 and Houston is a 92. New York is 364.

So, a house that costs an average of $100,000 in America will sell for $135,000 in Denver and $92,000 in Houston, and Cypress is even cheaper.

Could you live with the other "annoyances" to keep all that extra money? :D

You're welcome to move back, just leave your Democrat Party membership in Colorado. [​IMG]

Bro. James

PS. You know, I had never even seen a real basement until we went to a family reunion in Georgia last Christmas. They are cool.(I mean as in they do not require much a/c.)

If we tried to build them down here, they'd be under water all year round.

14. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Telling somebody that they must have had cotton in your ears is not what Jesus Christ would want you to say, Bro James Reed. Or am I missing something?
    Faithgirl46

15. Bro. James Reed

What's wrong with that statement?

It was said in jest.

My mother and grandmother, and dad used to tell me that all of the time.

It simply means that one is not paying attention.

16. Magnetic Poles

FYI I am not a member of the Democratic Party, although I agree with them on a number of issues.

17. faithgirl46

Site Supporter

I was out down a lot growing up. I guess your statement about cotton in your ears made me remember some of that in the back of my mind.
    Faithgirl46.

18. Bro. James Reed

I'm not following. :confused:

19. Bro. James Reed

I figured that, but it was just a joke.

Most folks on the BB, even the ones we call "liberal", are members of the Republican Party.

Goes to show you just how diverse the party is. ;)

20. faithgirl46

Site Supporter

I'm not following. :confused: </font>[/QUOTE]I meant I was put down called names I do not wish to print here growing up.
    Faithgirl