1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Correcting the KJV with the Greek

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by sanderson1769, Mar 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sanderson1769

sanderson1769 New Member

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course it is, and nobody on this forum will argue that the KJV is not the word of God (small case "w" signifying the bible as opposed to the capital "W" signifying the "Word made flesh" the Lord Jesus Christ).
    Nobody with any understanding at all suggests the original manuscripts still exist, but also, nobody with any understanding at all suggests that the copies of those manuscripts are not still available to us today. At last count about 5,600 copies of the Greek manuscripts making up the New Testament still exist and are available for study today. You have confused "original manuscripts" with "manuscripts in the original languages."
    I don't know any who do, but many expand on the translation, clarify the meaning of words, and do exactly as the bible teaches us to do, "So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading." To do less is to cheat God's people. [​IMG]

3. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

I am no expert on this, but this article does a very good job of explaining why we don't need the original texts to reconstruct the original texts.

Is the New Testament Text Reliable?

4. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I would like to ask a question concerning a point that you glossed over in your essay.

You mention that God kept his word for each generation and after 1611 it was the KJV. What translation pre-existing 1611 was the absolute, 100% correct translation?

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

May I ask a question? I see around the board that sanderson has started all kinds of topics that include his own essays to link. Are you really interested in honest dialogue about these topics? Or are you just interested in promoting your writing and telling everyone how wrong they are?

6. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

I was just about to ask the same thing.

7. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

As a moderator of this forum, I am glad you brought up this point. I gladly wait for an answer from our aspiring author.

Thank you [​IMG]

8. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would like to know if you can think of any reason(s) why God apparently chose to allow the original writings to turn to dust besides the obvious one that He didn't want them to become icons of worship such as was the "Holy Grail", an alleged splinter from Jesus' cross, what is allegedly the head of the spear used to pierce His side, etc.

9. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

I find this attitude absolutely 'head in the sand'
    don't give me the facts. This view of the KJV is very much one of adoration and worship. And is to be condemned. When translating the Bible into another language we should start with the Greek not an English translation of the 'True' Word of God. Feel free to worship your 1611 Anglican translation I choose to worship the Risen Christ and give Him my worship and adoration.

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I am sure that you have Bible evidence for this contention?

11. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

It's a kind of worship that a pastor from many years ago called "bibliolatry".

12. Bob Dudley

Bob Dudley New Member

I guess I'm the odd ball out. I think God preserved His love letter to us in the languages He wrote it in. I think the KJV is a good translation but, sit down, there ARE mistakes in it. I think a young, immature Christian can get a lot out of the KVJ. But, if you want to find out what God really has to say, the deeper things of His Word, you HAVE to look in the languages in which He wrote.

Besides, doesn't it make more sense that, if He preserved His word in another language besides the one in which He inspired it, He would have picked something that the majority of the world speaks: Chinese.

Oh, and there are contridictions between the different translations into the different languages so I don't think you can claim they are all perfect.

Just my little way to stir the waters a bit. Have a great rest of the day. [​IMG]

13. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Forgive me brother, but what makes it any different from "greekiolotry"?

14. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Forgive me brother, but what makes it any different from "greekiolotry"? </font>[/QUOTE]Forgive me, Bro, but where is the SCRIPTURAL SUPPORT for either of these "ologies"?

15. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's like asking "If apples grow on apple trees, why do oranges exist?" Do you not believe that the ms we have are very close, if not exact, copies of the originals? The KJV wasn't made from the originals, either.

Remember, Erasmus corrected his TR at least 3 times, not to mention all those corrections made before 1604 when the AV men set to work. WHICH ONE of these TRs is perfect, and why?

Actually, it's the One-Versionist who becomes his/her own authority by picking-n-choosing from what God has caused/allowed to be made, and declaring all the others bogus.

Actually, it reminds me that the RCC declared the LV to be the ONLY valid version of Scripture in any language; only the modern One-Versionist has no power to enforce his/her decree. The One-Versionist has created his/her own Dark Age. I choose not to live in that world, which GOD DOES NOT SUPPORT WITH SCRIPTURE.

16. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

You guys are all nuts. I've seen the movies about the Bible on tv and they are all in english. That is how I know Jesus and the apostles spoke english.Further more they spoke it in several Bible versions,KJV,NIV,and the Good News paraphrase, Oh I think I also heard it in the CEV version.

I have never heard the Bible in greek or hebrew.
    What makes this a miraculous event is that the english laguge was,nt even invented then. :D :confused: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, it shows that pastor has more than an ordinary interest in God's word & doesn't simply take another person's word for it.

Perhaps he should keep on keepin on presenting God's word to his flock as God gives him the light, ignoring the "One-Version"-ettes who generally don't know what they're talking about, pushing a man-made doctrine built around guesswork, NOT SUPPORTED BY SCRIPTURE.

I'd like to see a "fer instance" of such a "bogus revelation"...and I'm not even from Missouri.

18. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Thats an awful lot of rhetoric from someone who doesn't even pretend to know greek.

19. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dear Pastor Anderson:

I am the robycop3 with whom you've tried to correspond in the Yahoo "Which Bible" board. That board is for all purposes dead, as its moderator, "John Henry", has placed all messages on Moderator Approval Needed" status, but he seldom if ever checks them any more, & after 2 weeks, they're deleted from the database.

If you wish to discuss the KJVO myth here, please read the guidelines in the 1st post of this forum, and if you believe you'll need more freedom of expression, then please meet me at

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kjbonlyismdebateclub/

one of several boards moderated by me, which is dedicated to the KJVO problem...or...at

http://p078.ezboard.com/bbibleversiondiscussionboard

which has an open KJVO forum.

In the meantime, will you ponder this question, which, if left unanswered, leaves the whole KJVO doctrine in Neverland:

"WHERE IS THE SCRIPTURAL SUPPORT FOR THE KJVO DOCTRINE?"

Please don't answer "Psalm 12:7" as the idea that this verse is about God's word has been proven wrong, and proven wrong by the AV 1611 itself.

Yours,

Cranston

20. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could you give us some of the KJV renderings and explain to us why you think they are mistakes? Maybe that would help the discussion. Thanks. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.