1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Could an abortion ban backfire?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Debby in Philly, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, let me say that I am pro-life all the way. That is not what this question is about. What I have thought about from time to time, and mostly kept to myself, is whether a national abortion ban could backfire. Given that folks have quite a lack of common sense these days, and some like to twist things up beyond recognition, is it possible that under an abortion ban we might see women who miscarry being charged with murder? We all know the Lord allows pregnancies to fail fairly often, usually due to no fault of the mother. But as blind and cruel as people are, couldn't ex-husbands or boyfriends be able to bring charges under a total ban? That worries me.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did such a thing happen before abortions became legal nationwide?

3. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do think it happened occaisionally, but people weren't so bent on taking people to court, getting even, making money, and basically twisting words back then as they are now.

4. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Isnt a miscarriage and an abortion two different things? Abortions are intentional while a miscarriage is an accident.

ps104_33 (formerly from philly [​IMG] )

5. Walguy

Walguy Member

I think what the poster may be concerned about is lawsuits where someone claimed the woman did something that CAUSED the miscarriage (such as smoking during pregnancy, to give an obvious example).
    In the current litigious climate there could certainly be such lawsuits, but I would think it would be hard under most circumstances to prove cause and effect in those cases, so I can't imagine there would be many of them. But even if I'm wrong, which is worse: a bunch of new lawsuits, or a million dead babies?

6. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

I think that the problem is no different than with any law. People have been falsely accused of breaking, probably, every law on the books.

That is why we can be thankful for a system where the accused is presumed innocent until proven guilty, and has the right to a fair trial.

Abortion is no different; I see no cause for concern, and no reason to allow our phony "pro-life" politicians to continue to ignore the need to outlaw it.

7. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I doubt it very seriously. A miscarriage is, technically speaking, an abortion but it is spontaneous, not premeditated. A miscarriage is not carried out by a doctor.

I do think an abortion ban could backfire in that the culture of the country is not yet ready for it. I think it is more prolife than 10 or 20 years ago certainly, but the result could be what prohibition did in the 20s, with the result that things are actually made worse. (Prohibition should have been retained and enforced, but the culture wasn't ready for that.) I fear that a backlash could happen. That is why as Bush has often said, we need a change of culture.

8. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

There are a number of things that can be done that can precipitate a miscarriage...

If an over zealous prosecutor decides that there is reason to believe *any* of those things were done...

Then, yes, I would fully expect prosecutions and convictions to occur when miscarriages occur...

Scary thoughts, all...