1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Could God teach Sunday School at your church? He is divorced (Jer 3:8).

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by rjprince, Jan 11, 2005.

1. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Could God teach Sunday School at your church? He is divorced (Jer 3:8).

2. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ever hear the term metaphor?

3. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Yep. Was Israel's spiritual adultery only metaphorical?

4. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, because He is a single man and bride = church, and I might add when Jesus said:

Mark 13:17 (KJV)
    17But woe to them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!

It was because if his new bride had been impregnated by the Anti-Christ that they were in big trouble. And how could they be impregnated if the Anti-Christ hadn’t come first?

Mark 13:22 (KJV)
    22For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall show signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.

So I would think if you go flying away to the first one who comes and says he’s Jesus you could be in big trouble.

As for flying:

Ezekiel 13:20 (KJV)
    20Wherefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I am against your pillows, wherewith ye there hunt the souls to make them fly, and I will tear them from your arms, and will let the souls go, even the souls that ye hunt to make them fly.

Mark 13:23 (KJV)
    23But take ye heed: behold, I have foretold you all things.

But this would just be a guess.

5. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Edit:

I would think it would be because if his new bride had been impregnated by the Anti-Christ that they were going to be in big trouble. And how could they be impregnated if the Anti-Christ hadn’t come first?

6. 2Timothy4:1-5

2Timothy4:1-5 New Member

7. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, read it?
    What does quick mean?

Season? Ever heard of the parable of the fig tree?

8. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Well, God does teach in my Sunday School, so I guess its ok, whatever. [​IMG]

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Some would argue that Jesus CHrist would not be allowed to be their pastor, because he was a single male, and therefore not the "husband of one wife".

Now folks, if someone has their heart in the right place, and the people of the congregation will vouch for him/her, then let him/her teach Sunday School.

10. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

An Elder (Bishop) must be “the husband of one wife” (KJV). The word anar appears 215 times in the Greek NT and is translated as man (156 times), husband (50 times), sir (6), fellow (1), not translated (2). The Greek word guna appears 221 times and is translated woman (129) and wife (92). Either of these words for husband or wife could be understood as referring to any adult man or woman without reference to their marital status (Matt 1:16,19; 7:24,26; 1:20,24; 5:28). In the original Greek manuscripts (apographs), the word translated wife appears before husband. Literally the phrase is “a one-woman man”. Because of the fact that gunaikon (wife/woman) is in the emphatic position and is an attributive genitive indicating quality, the phrase would be best translated as “a one-woman kind of man” (Ed Glasscock, Bibliotheca Sacra, Vol 140 #559, Jul 1983, p. 252).

At this link I discuss the four common views of this phrase in more detail and give the reasons why I hold it to be a general requirement of moral purity.

http://www.baptistboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/48/726/5.html?

11. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Could this thread be any more ridiculous? Hey RJ, God is said to have been married to Israel and her sister Judah.

Does that now okay bigomy?

Let us move on to intelligent discussion.

12. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thinking in a metaphor.

Thinking it is a trick question-. Jesus as the returning bridegroom.

Matthew 25:1 (KJV)
    1Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.

God being divorcing from his bride or church (Jer 3:8) Jesus not having returned yet is separated from His church-bride.

So being single and being separate from His church-bride there is not a church he could be teaching at.

Wasn’t looking at the other side of Him being with us in Spirit.

As for the any moment rapture outburst, Sorry, bad day. Maybe I should be thinking about this instead.

James 1:19 (KJV)
    19Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:

13. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

DD,

I am speaking allegorically, obviously, I thought.

The point is that in some churches, divorce is treated as the unpardonable sin. If God is divorced, in figurative terms, has He sinned? Is He forgivable? Yes I do understand impeccability and immutability, or at least I can state the ideas succinctly.

The point is what if some churches treated God the same way they treat divorced people?

What place would He have in their church?