1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Could Jesus hate?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Feb 26, 2007.

1. bapmom

bapmom New Member

now web,

I didn't say God can sin. I said God can hate WITHOUT sinning.

#21 bapmom, Feb 26, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  2. bapmom

bapmom New Member

MB,

nowhere that I can think of in Scripture does God say that hatred in and of itself is a sin. Now, God says WE are not to hate our fellow man.....so for us it would be sin because we would be disobeying God.
    God also says we are not to envy others, yet He calls Himself a jealous God. God has the right to be jealous over our worship and affections because He owns us....He IS God. God has more rights than you or I do.

Simply because He is God.

Oh, and Id take some issue with saying God is righteous because He doesn't sin. Rather He doesn't sin because He is righteous.

3. bapmom

bapmom New Member

well said!
    :applause:

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Here's a perfect example of not knowing the meaning of the word in context. Christ says whoever hates his brother is a murderer. Am I supposed to hate my family once I become a Christian? The meaning of hate here is to put second, or love less...the same meaning used in "Jacob I loved, Esau I hated".

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You have got to be kidding me. You mean you actually NEED Scripture stating God cannot sin?

One hyper following another hyper...

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

God did hate (loved less, showed less favor) to an entire nation....before any of them were born. Did God decide Israel was to be His chosen people based on anything they did?

#26 webdog, Feb 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2007
  7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If by hate you are referring to love less, or show less favor, I agree. If you also believe as the calvinists do that hate means the absence of love, then I disagree, as God classified that as murder. No such thing as righteous murder, or righteous sin.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

With all due respect, you answered my post stating...

" So Jesus could do what He commanded us not to do? Is hating our fellow man sin or not? Since Jesus is God and can do as He wished, could He hate our/His fellow man?"

with...

"yes, I believe He could, webdog. There are just some rules that don't apply to God because they are specifically ABOUT the fact that we are NOT God."

9. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Please post one Engish Bible that translates this with any other word then hate. Or..is this you hating the word hate that is found in every English Bible ever printed to the point you change the very word of God to have it say what you want?

I guess God did write the Bible right.

Read the context...

Read the OT where the quote comes from.

The word means HATE!! What is there to understand? Will you next blame God hating?

10. johnp.

johnp. New Member

You know the word means hate as in hate. Detest. The Greek word means to detest. Why webdog?

That lame excuse about God not finding the right word is a good one. The Word was lost for words. haha! He invented the Greek man, He made the Greek word mean to detest and then He used it in connection with Esau. :)

God commands us to love Him with our whole being. What love is left but for the love that overflows from the Almighty? The more love the more overflow but you won't get that if you do not take Him for what He is. Sovereign Lord.

I don't need that, what I want is for you to show me scriptural proof that God has bound Himself to law. You wriggle to much to no avail, answer the question please.

Thanks npetreley. :)

john.

11. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Im sorry web, I did not intend to pass over your question earlier about "Is hating our fellow man sin or not?" What I was saying "Yes" to in my post is that God can do some things He commands us not to do, and it would not be sin for Him. (ie, God has the right to be jealous, while we do not.)

Another example could be us with our children. There are some things that as adults we can do, but we do not yet allow our children to do. Is it a sin for me to drive my car - assuming I have a valid driver's license? No, its not. But then I can look at my 12 year old and tell her she is not allowed to drive....period. Is it a sin for her to drive right now? Yes. Is it a sin for me to drive right now? No.

#31 bapmom, Feb 26, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What language was the Bible written in? Do you hate your wife, father mother and wife now that you are a Christian? According to you, God wrote the Bibel in english...
    Obviously you don't know the context from where it came from. Helen just posted it on another thread... http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=966078&postcount=61

13. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

STRAWMAN....

Your good at these. :)

No matter what God does even if you see it as sin, it is not sin. Sin is to transgress Gods will. If God does anything, this would be His will to do it, therefore it is not sin. You cannot place God in a little box and control him.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Just answer the question in the OP. Could Jesus, while on earth, murder (hate) and committ adultery (lust)?

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Can you please post the FULL MEANING of the word sane and miseo...not just the one you like?
    Can God sin? If not He is bound by His own law of righteousness.

16. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Hebrew

sane means hate..

Wherein hast thou loved us??????????????????????????

Malachi 1

1The burden of the word of the LORD to Israel by Malachi.

2I have loved you, saith the LORD. Yet ye say, Wherein hast thou loved us? Was not Esau Jacob's brother? saith the LORD: yet I loved Jacob,

3And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness.

BTW...you forgot to post that English translation

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Could Jesus murder while on earth? Would it NOT be sin if He did? The temptations by satan would have absolutely no bearing if whatever Christ would have done would not be classified as sin.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Who cares what it says in English if the original text says sane and miseo? Please post the FULL MEANING of the word, not just the one you like! Do you hate your wife and parents?

19. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

sure..it means hate

1) to hate, be hateful
    a) (Qal) to hate
    1) of man
    2) of God
    3) hater, one hating, enemy (participle) (subst)
    b) (Niphal) to be hated
    c) (Piel) hater (participle)
    1) of persons, nations, God, wisdom

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Real cute. I meant post the meaning of sane and miseo...not the english word "hate" (unless you think the original texts were written in english).