1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Could Jesus hate?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

like i said yesterday...you would change the meaning of the word....for it is you that think you know better then God.

If you don't understand how it works...fine. But you should never change the context. You can even change the word...as long as the word means hate, for the context demands it say hate.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why do you fail to answer the questions I put forth?

3. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

:) :) your going to love this one..

...the funny thing webdog...that came right from the lexicon under sane...strong's number 08130

what else do you want?

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not at home, but I can tell you that is not the only meaning of the word. Did you leave out some meanings? Me thinks you did.
    Um...to answer the questions put to you, and from the OP?

5. bapmom

bapmom New Member

sorry to interrupt you guys....:wavey:

I just wanted to interject this.....if Jesus killed while here on earth it could not be called "murder". Because Jesus is God, and God has the right to weild power over life and death, than any life Jesus were to have taken on earth would have been a justifiable act of God, not murder.

6. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

When you no longer limit God

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Typical. I take that as "if I answer honestly, it will harm my theology, and my theology takes precedence over Scripture".

8. amity

amity New Member

Webdog, I am not sure that this scripture means that we are to love EVERYONE, literally all human beings?

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So you are saying if Jesus walked up to a little child and slit his throat...since He's God, it wouldn't be murder...but His sovereignty? Wow...

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Really? One of the ten commandments is "thou shalt not kill (murder)". Jesus says if we hate, we are murderers, and we are to love EVEN our enemies. That sure sounds like we are not to hate anyone!

11. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Lets see if this is true.

Is the Bible right or wrong, when it says God can and does hate? Will your theology change the Bible, or will the Bible stand as is?

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Tell you what, answer the OP and the questions put forth first, okay?

13. amity

amity New Member

Maybe this is an issue of translation, or maybe I am just missing it. I see where we are to love brother, neighbor, enemy, etc., but I do not see that we are to love every single human being that ever lived. I see where if we hate our brother that we are murderers. But I am a little confused here because the passage I think you must mean is in I John, not in the gospels, and it was not said by Jesus.

Are you assuming that Adolf Hitler, to give an extreme example, is to be considered a brother, and loved as such? Are you saying EVERYONE is a brother?

In fact I think these scriptures have to do with our behavior toward other people, rather than emotions, which we cannot force after all. It is practical love we are after here, not emotional love. "Charity" in other words. I may be able to treat people very compassionately for Christ's sake when in fact I don't know them well enough to have any personal feelings toward them. Unless that is what you mean, then to say we must have feelings of love for everyone just cheapens love beyond meaning. Obviously I don't have the same feelings for Hitler that I do for my mom.

#53 amity, Feb 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2007
  14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are what is known as imprecatory Psalms . For instance , David , in Ps. 139:21,22 says : O Lord , shouldn't I hate those wqho hate you ? Souldn't I despise those who oppose you ? Yes , I hate them with total hatred , for your enemies are my enemies . ( NLT2)

That kind of righteous hatred is rare among God's people . We could fall into sin ( murder in our hearts ) even when we think we have rigteous hated for some people .

But God has the perfect right to hate anyone He so chooses . He is blameless -- He's God and perfectly just . It says in Psalm 5:5 that He hates all who do evil . In Psalm 11:5 it say He hates those who love violence .

And notice that God does not make the distinction that many Christians do . they say one should hate the sin , but love the sinner . God hates both the sinner and the sin .

There is a difference ( classic understatement ) between humans and God . He can command things which God Himself can do with impunity . No one should think more highly of themself than they ought . But God revels in His own glory for instance .

15. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

No. God does not love the devil. God hates the devil.

No. Jesus hates the devil as well. This shows that Hate is in Jesus nature. Also ....Revelation 2:6
    But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitanes, which I also hate.

This two shows the nature of Jesus. Jesus has the power to hate.

And since as you said above Jesus is 100% God , these verse applly to Jesus as well...right?

Psa 5:4
    For thou [art] not a God that hath pleasure in wickedness: neither shall evil dwell with thee.
    Psa 5:5
    The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.

God is love right? Yes...but also more then just love. How about..... "vengeance is mine; I will repay," and ........"The Lord will judge his people." ........It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."

Mark 3:5 And when he had looked round about on them with anger, being grieved for the hardness of their hearts, he saith unto the man, ............

Please show me the love of God in the blood bath below.

Believe it or not...this is Christ...and this is part of His nature.

I started once to not address these next...for they are foolish talk
    For what? Name one thing God could lust for. All things are His.
    With who? There is not she gods. We are the bride...the Church
    How can you dare say God cannot do anything? Who do you think God is anyway? You act is if you can control Him. Guess what...you cannot.

Now...does God have the right to hate? Will you still limit God to your doctrine?

#55 Jarthur001, Feb 26, 2007
  16. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

What do you not understand about God? If Jesus takes the life of people He is not murdering any one. God does not only give life, but also takes life when our days are over. Life is in Gods hands..and God can do as He wills at any time, and this is not sin.

God is God!!!!

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Webdog and others may have problems with the God of the Bible . The Lord says the following in Psalm 137:8,9 : O Daughter of Babylon , doomed to destruction , happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us -- he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks . ( NIV )

The Lord's counsels are being fulfilled by those cruel deaths against what some here call " the innocent " .

See also Isaiah 13:16 : Their infants will be dashed before their eyes ; their houses will be looted and their wives ravished . ( NIV ) In the very next verse it says that that the Lord Himself will stir up against them ( the Babylonians ) the Medes .

In Hosea 13 , the same chapter where God say He will have no compassion ( v.14 ) , it says the following in verse 16 : The people of Samaria must bear their guilt , because they have rebelled against their God . They will fall by the sword ; their little ones will be dashed to the ground , their pregnant women will be ripped open . ( NIV )

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have a problem with how you portray the God of the Bible.

19. amity

amity New Member

It is how He protrays Himself! Webdog, I agree that anger and even hatred is definitely an important aspect of God. This is the wrath the Father poured out on the Son, and would pour out on us if not for Christ's atonement for our sins. Because of that, the God we know is the God of love. Because of that, the blood pouring out of the winepress will not be ours.

The God of wrath and vengeance is every bit as real and accurate as the God of love.

#59 amity, Feb 26, 2007
  20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Mat 5:43"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.'
    Mat 5:44But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Luk 6:27 "But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,