1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Could Jesus hate?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

How about the hatred of sin, or does God just love it less than other things?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is where you let context determine the meaning of sane and miseo. To say that He "loves sin less" is to state He "loves sin somewhat", which we know is not the case.

What do you think the meaning of hate is when Scripture tells us we are to hate our parents, siblings and even ourselves in order to follow Christ?

#82 webdog, Feb 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2007
  3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You got that right. Sad indeed. To put more emphasis on God's sovereignty than His righteousness, and to fit God into that little box is sad.

4. johnp.

johnp. New Member

JN 13:2 The evening meal was being served, and the devil had already prompted Judas Iscariot, son of Simon, to betray Jesus.

Ps 5:5 The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.

There you go webdog, God hates the Devil believe it or not. :)

john.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Nice try, johnp.

I noticed that miseo translated to spanish is "aborecci". Wonder what that means?
    a·bo·rre·cer

tr.
    1. <LI class=yedNoPadding>(odiar) to hate, abhor, loathe <LI class=yedNoPadding>(abandonar) to desert, abandon (animals, their young)
    2. (aburrir) to bore, grow weary
    You mean to tell me it doesn't only mean "hate"? You have got to be kidding me! It has to only mean hate...english hate...doesn't it?

#85 webdog, Feb 27, 2007
  6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

James, will this make you happy? Here are a few english translations...

Romans 9:13 (Amplified Bible)

Amplified Bible (AMP) Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
    13As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated (held in [a]relative disregard in comparison with My feeling for Jacob).(A)

Romans 9:13 (New Living Translation)

New Living Translation (NLT)
    Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers.
    13 In the words of the Scriptures, “I loved Jacob, but I rejected Esau.”[a]

Romans 9:13 (Contemporary English Version)

Contemporary English Version (CEV) Copyright © 1995 by American Bible Society

13That's why the Scriptures say that the Lord liked Jacob more than Esau.

Romans 9:13 (New International Reader's Version)

New International Reader's Version (NIRV) Copyright © 1996, 1998 by International Bible Society

13 It is written, "I chose Jacob instead of Esau."—(Malachi 1:2,3)

#86 webdog, Feb 27, 2007
  7. johnp.

johnp. New Member

I don't. :) I checked it out and the two dictionaries I used both gave 'not found'. I still don't. :)

It says one should not speak in tongues without an interpreter present webdog.

The Amplified bible is a paraphrase isn't it?

13That's why the Scriptures say that the Lord liked Jacob more than Esau. That's a cracker. haha!

john.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Cute. The interpreter so happened to be the handy spanish to english online dictionary, though. The meaning was given.
    Aren't all english translations to an extent?

9. johnp.

johnp. New Member

I wouldn't say it was weak, For God has bound all men over to disobedience... I would say it was scriptural and proves that Christ does hate because out of the lump He made bad He only saves some. If that isn't hate what is it?

Just goes to show how much attention I pay to an intrepretation of tongues don't it? :)

The Amplified bible is a paraphrase isn't it?
    They are, but Amplified seems to suggest a bloated feeling? Can one get an amplified Calvinist bible, that'll be worth buying. :)
    You introduce me to the Spanish word "aborecci" which you say means <LI class=yedNoPadding>(odiar) to hate, abhor, loathe <LI class=yedNoPadding>(abandonar) to desert, abandon (animals, their young)
    (aburrir) to bore, grow weary

I get nothing from the dictionary but I'll take your word it means what you said. You are telling me that you took a word from one foreign language and translated it into a word from another foreign language and that is then translated into English and then you 'wonder what it means'. I've never thought of doing that. Are you a Spanish speaker?

13 Just as it is written: "Jacob I loved, but Esau I bored." Cool. I thank you for the interpretation webdog. :) Here's a better one: the Lord bored Jacob less than Esau. Is that right?

john.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This same exact thing was done in Romans 9:13! Paul quoted Malachi (Hebrew) using Greek...and we translate it to english. Same thing.
    Now you are erecting strawmen, johnp, not worthy of responses.

11. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Well he spoke tongues more than anyone so I suppose he could have translated into Spanish as well. A Greek speaking Jew has a head start in the Pentecostal stakes doesn't he? :)

Are you a Spanish speaker? Yes or no webdog. :)

Cute though a? :) Better than 'the Lord liked Jacob more than Esau'. **Infammed statement removed**. :)
    (held in [a]relative disregard in comparison with My feeling for Jacob).(A) And I suppose he scolded Sodom sharply?
    How do you deal with the fact that God knows who is going to Hell before He creates them? How do you account for the lack of love involved in this? How do you see it?

john.

#91 johnp., Feb 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2007
  12. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I think you're in for a long wait. Sin is rebellion against God, so if God could sin, not only would we have to disregard all those references to Him being holy, we would also have to think of God rebelling against Himself.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I know, I'm not holding my breath :)

According to some here, Jesus was never really tempted by satan, and He could have slit the throat of a child while on earth without it being sin. Baptists are weird creatures... :)

14. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Jesus was tempted by Satan but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. 15 Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.

So if you think Jesus was tempted by His own evil desires then I think you should think again webdog.

As bad as Abraham isn't He? And Baptists should be ashamed of themselves to think that Abraham was performing a Godly duty.

john. :)