1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Could lead codices prove ‘the major discovery of Christian history’?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by webdog, Mar 30, 2011.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'd have to see the evidence (plus peer-reviewed commentary ;-) ) before I comment, but I unfortunately exepect to see more of the 'Historical Jesus -v- Jesus of the Gospels' rubbish from the usual liberal suspects.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is an important discovery but prudence is the most important thing we can push right now. Larry Hurtado (who, if you don't know, is a formative theologian on early Christian history at Edinburgh) has a pretty good blog post on this. He notes that there are a lot of tests which need to be done and careful documentation.

The reality is that (as with the James Osuary) many, many piece that are purportedly from this era end up being fakes. This is a possibility, a real possibility.

However, I am excited about the prospects and will eagerly anticipate the results of scholarly investigations. We still have more evidence that Jesus existed than any other person of His era. This would definitely help in a lot of ways, particularly in the realm of early Christian worship of the Christ. :)