1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Could Life exist on Mars?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Benjamin, Aug 6, 2012.

?
  1. Not a Chance

26.7%
  2. Highly Unlikely

30.0%
  3. I Don't Have a Clue and Have Nothng to Base My Guess On

6.7%
  4. Most likely...Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Why not, if All the Necessary Ingredients Exist are There

36.7%
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Basing it upon the fact of God creating man in his own image, and sending Himself to earth in the person of jesus to die and atone for our sins...

Think that IF he had created other sentient races, would have them discussed in bible regarding the eternal state, but no one else there!

2. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Perhaps it is not mentioned because He did not deem it necessary to tell us.

Yes, man is created in His image; but the earth is populated by other forms of life. Why would the fact that man is on earth negate the possibility of a different form of life elsewhere?

Side question: Is not Heaven described as a physical place?

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not that I am aware of!

Its a realm/different dimension to ours, and we enter into it once dead...

4. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could be because on Earth man's life and his enviroment is supported by a large complex system of life. I see no reason for life to support us on other planets...but unless of course God knew we'd wreck this planet and be needing another fresh start some day. :smilewinkgrin:

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could it be that our World ONLY one God created with this complex set of "everything coming together", as he knew that earth would be the world he created life only on, and created condition right to nurture and substain it?

6. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

"I go to prepare a place for you..." -Jesus.

7. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Does it necessarily need to support man?

8. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Can that be found in the Bible? No.

You very well could be right...or not. The point is, because Scripture is silent on the subject (if I'm wrong, I'd really like to know) of life elsewhere it's anybody's guess.

9. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

Wait a minute Arbo... not so fast! Next thing we know you'll be claiming that Jesus is human and has a temporal existence!

10. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well, He was on earth for 30ish years.:)

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And right now back to having the fullness of his glory back in heaven again...

And in heaven, in a reality above and beyond what we are able to know as reality right now!

12. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems to me God created life with the purpose of supporting man and gave him dominion over it while making the personal sacrifice of His One and Only to sustain that life (of man) spiritually for eternity. I simply see no purpose or reason in Him creating other life with a lessor cause.

And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so. And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
    (Gen 1:24-28)

#72 Benjamin, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2012
  13. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Agree, but I fail to see how it makes it impossible for created life to physically exist elsewhere.

14. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

I see your point, but how does it rule out the possibility that He's created life elsewhere? Why does life elsewhere need to be human?

15. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I doesn't rule it out, maybe a better answer from my perspective would be "highly unlikely" ...I mean maybe God needed some practice or something, or He likes watching little things move about like we like to watch ants or something, I don't know. :laugh::smilewinkgrin:

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    it doesn't, its just that it appears that SENTIENT created life, made in image of God, is for JUST us, as God created Humanity to be the beings that would forever be with Himself, eventually into new eternal state...

Almost like God gave all He had in creating mankind, and in having jesus death secure a means to save some to be with Himself for all eternity!

jealous God, so just room for mankind to be with Him...

17. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Benjamin, Y1- I suppose one day this and many other questions will be answered.:wavey:

18. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Seems to me the "church" has gotten things wrong like this before. As we (I) age I have learned how careful one must be about saying "never" and "always", perhaps that is also the mathematician in me.

19. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Life may exist there, or may have in the distant past when Mars was more like today's Earth. Or it may be a sterile world. It would be a major discovery if we find there is native Martian life.

In case they are reading this, I now state my welcome to our new Martian overlords in hopes of currying their favorable treatment. :)

20. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Agreed 100%....:thumbsup::wavey::thumbs: If Abiogenesis (from a materialistic perspective) is even POSSIBLE...than it stands to reason that lifeforms with completely different needs would/could have evolved. They have not. Why the necessity for water? Or oxygen? or even "relatively" stable temperatures? I do not personally believe there is physical life anywhere (or of any kind) other than on Earth...But we do not know for sure...Scripture is simply silent on the issue. I do not think anyone can use the Scriptures to be dogmatic about it either way. The creation account says nothing whatsoever ( and that means for or against) about the possibility of other life-forms.

However, I personally find it to be highly un-likely.