1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Could Paige Patterson be the next president of Southwestern?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Sherrie, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

SBC, what is the deal with Merritt? I had not heard anything of late.

2. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

He is leaving 65-75% of his congregation at FBC Snellville to start The Church at Cross Pointe (about 25 minutes away in the booming part of Gwinnett County). It is a big move for him at this stage in his ministry. From what I have heard they will adopt a more contemporary approach to ministry. The church will be a SBC church but will exclude Baptist from the name. I respect Merritt for making this move. No doubt he was in line to take over one of the Bellevue type churches in the near future.

There was a recent BP article on it as well. If you can't find it, PM me and I will search it out and send it to you.

3. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

I thought they were "Texans."

Or is it Texonion because Exxon now owns more than 50% of the state?

4. KPBAP

KPBAP Member

Can you imagine the cost of moving all of Paige's big game trophies from his African Safaris???

5. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

That is why we have the cooperative program.

I am just kidding. I know some indy is thinking "what a waste of money" or something like it.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

That and his huge collection of preaching notes from great preachers over the years! But the game trophies out weigh those I think :D

I always thought it would be funny if Paige gave one of those to Mohler for his office [​IMG]

7. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you referring to Exxon Mobil Corporation, or a certain Baptist Board member who uses the "handle" ExxonMobil ? I am a native Texan, but I don't own 50% of the state. :rolleyes:

8. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

Are you referring to Exxon Mobil Corporation, or a certain Baptist Board member who uses the "handle" ExxonMobil ? I am a native Texan, but I don't own 50% of the state. :rolleyes: </font>[/QUOTE]I was talking about the corporation.

Actually, Texonion sounds more like an appetizer at Lone Star Steakhouse.

9. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

That is why we have the cooperative program.

I am just kidding. I know some indy is thinking "what a waste of money" or something like it.
    </font>[/QUOTE]We could only wish all cooperative program funds went to causes as worthwhile as this one.

10. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

It would not cost half as much as it would cost to move his personal library!

BTW, You should see his baboon sitting up, with glasses on its face, holding a copy of Darwin's Origin of Species. It’s very funny. :D

11. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

If Patterson were to become president of SWBTS it would be the end of Craig Blaising as provost. I dont think that Patterson would allow Blaising near the power that he currently has. I dont know, but I doubt that Blasing would want to work with Patterson again either, after all he left him once already.

12. atestring

atestring New Member

It would not cost half as much as it would cost to move his personal library!

BTW, You should see his baboon sitting up, with glasses on its face, holding a copy of Darwin's Origin of Species. It’s very funny. :D
    </font>[/QUOTE]Are you calling Pope Patterson a Baboon or are you refering to a stuffed animal?

13. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Actually, I'm an SBCer and that's what I'm thinking. [​IMG]

The rumor mill has it that Paige Patterson and David Dockery are the front-runners, with Patterson in the lead.

Personally, I hope that Patterson stays in NC. Dockery would be great, and I wouldn't mind seeing Blaising head to the president's office either.

BTW, I wish nothing but good for Ken Hemphill as he heads to his new position.

14. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Speaking of David Dockery, I hope that he stays here at Union for a long time. He has been the catalyst for lots of academic and spiritual growth here.

15. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Dockery is simply outstanding. One of the young men from our church just graduated from HS this weekend and is heading to Union this fall. He is going there, on a full academic scholarship, because of its excellent academic reputation and the way it has integrated piety into the program.

16. NarrowWay

NarrowWay New Member

The fundamentalists took over the SBC by using overtly political tactics as well as some that were underhanded like busing in delegates who weren't qualified to vote. They represent a minority of the good christians in the SBC. There is no unity of theology. There's only power. They will be the undoing of the SBC.

17. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think you are sadly mistaken and have not checked the facts carefully. All of your charges are groundless.

18. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

The Moderates and the Fundamentalists have both been guilty of overt political tactics.

19. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

Grist for the rumor mill:

If Patterson leaves for Southwestern, Danny Akin from Southern (and formerly Southeastern) is said by some to be the leading candidate for his replacement.

20. atestring

atestring New Member

What is the latest on Pope Patterson?
    Will he take the job or has it been offered to him?