1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Could You Be a Missionary to Japan?

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by John of Japan, Sep 2, 2015.

?
  1. I could live in a tiny apartment and sleep on a mat the floor.

72.7%
  2. I could eat raw fish while smiling like I loved it!

54.5%
  3. I could spend eight hours a day (five days a week) for two years studying a foreign language.

72.7%
  4. I could sit on a mat on the floor when I eat and think nothing of it.

72.7%
  5. I could be stared at everywhere I go and not let it bother me.

81.8%
  6. I think those little squiggly Chinese characters and Japanese alphabet characters look neat.

81.8%
  7. I could pass out 10,000 tracts and get no prospects without being discouraged.

45.5%
  8. I could drink fermented milk (called “Calpis”) and learn to like it.

45.5%
  9. I could live with hearing terrible English all the time without correcting it.

63.6%
  10. I could love a people not my own and give decades of my life to see them saved.

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back in 2006 I did a poll on being a pioneer missionary: https://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=32635

I'm going to do something similar here only with a modern, advanced mission field: Japan. Take the poll and let us know how you did!

Your Rating According to “Yes” Answers
    (how many you checked)

0-2 "Yes" answers: Nothing but potato chips and a TV remote for you. You could never be a missionary to Japan. If you pray for missionaries, make sure you don't learn too much about their work. You'd get scared and hide in your closet!

3-4 "Yes" answers: You need to get out more! Try visiting the local zoo. You couldn't be a missionary, but you might be able to support one with prayer and money.

5-6 "Yes" answers: Don't call the mission board—they'll call you. You could be a home missionary, but might not be able to cross cultures.

7-8 "Yes" answers: Admit it, you carry your own pair of chopsticks! Visit a foreign field and try the food. You have great possibilities!

9-10 "Yes" answers: Do not pass go, do not collect $200 in support, you might be a Japanese and not know it. Head out for the mission field right now!

#1 John of Japan, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2015
  2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So... what flavor of chips do I get to eat?

Rob

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whatever you can get your wife to go out and buy for you. :laugh:

4. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Said yes to all except for the milk and 2 years of learning a language. And at my age, not sure spending decades is a realistic one.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love Okinawa:thumbs:

6. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    24 Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one.
    25 Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day have I been in the deep;
    26 in journeyings often, in perils of rivers, in perils of robbers, in perils from my countrymen, in perils from the Gentiles, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;
    27 in labor and travail, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.
    28 Besides those things that are without, there is that which presseth upon me daily, anxiety for all the churches. 2 Cor 11

Sounds like a cushy job to me. But of course I love sushi/sashimi and Japanese food in general.

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

My "want tos" are overridden by fermented milk and mats on the floor.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had enough trouble learning what little German I did pick up- and I was over there 7 years.

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I went and preached a crusade in India, slept in some pretty unusual places along the way. In one village we were honored with a parade where they played two instruments a flute and a drum. We ate some things I am still unsure of what they were.

When I was pastoring on the Reservation I spent two years learning Navajo. Still know very little. The language is very difficult for a variety of reasons and it takes much more time given five tenses and the many gutteral sounds. Was given a Navajo name, " e' nishodi snez " which means "tall short coat". I ate mutton stew which can include all kinds of sheep parts. Fry bread and Navajo Taco's are the best.

Over the years I have been in a variety of atmospheres for the sake of the gospel. Will be glad to do it again should God send me.

#9 Revmitchell, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2015
  10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ha ha... my thoughts too.
    My days of sitting or sleeping on the floor are long past.

Rob

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The fermented milk is interesting. The taste is kind of tangy and kind of like yogurt. We were fed it shortly after arriving in the country. You buy it in a big bottle and dilute it with water 4 to 1. A missionary to the Navajos once visited and insisted on drinking it straight. It made him sick!

Sleeping on the floor: you are in a grass mat ("tatami") room, so it's not a hard floor. You have three layers of futon, the first one like a think mattress and the second a typical futon. The top one covers you in winter, but you can get very hot with it on! :type:

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Praise the Lord for your willing burden for worldwide missions.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I could still do it, maybe, but the standing up all the way from the floor has somehow gotten difficult over the years. :eek:

14. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I, for one, appreciate and am encouraged by people live in other cultures and immerse themselves in it for the kingdom's sake.

You all could write books about it, I'm sure.

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The blessings far exceed the difficulties. I often thank God for the privilege of being a missionary.

16. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, John, I got only 1 out of 10. The last one. :)

But in my defense I am 70 years old and badly disabled. And I spent the last 40 years in vocational ministry with much of that to "a people not my own and give decades of my life to see them saved."

27 of those 40 years were reaching and teaching people who spoke Spanish and Tagalog.

However, even at my age and with my health the way it is I still, even though retired, preach and teach on a regular basis. And I live in an area with 91% Latino population. I am scheduled to preach all three services in my home church next month (600+), and am scheduled to preach the other 3 sundays in our extension church (150+) meeting in a retirement community.

Did I pass the test? :D

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You certainly did, brother! The last question is the key one that eclipses all the rest. If someone gets that last question, all of the others fall into place. :type:

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

When I look at the list the only ones that I know for sure I can say 'yes' to are number 7 and 10. But, with the disclaimer that I have been discouraged with tracts and no visible results.

But I truly beleive that if 20+ years ago God had dircted our hearts to Japan instead of Ireland He would have enabled to do whatever else He need for me to do.

#18 NaasPreacher (C4K), Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2015
  19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, brother. Where God guides he not only provides but enables.

I swore before going to Japan that I would never eat a raw egg, but I've eaten a bunch of them. They put them in soba noodles (like ramen only buckwheat) and dip sukiyaki meat into them.

I hope your health is doing better nowadays.

20. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think these two quotes sum it all up. Whom God calls he also enables. Amen and amen! :)