1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Could you be....

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Michael Wrenn, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know:thumbsup:

2. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

No,I could not be.

3. billwald

billwald New Member

If I could start life over knowing what I know now I would get a PhD in economics and then become a Catholic Priest.

4. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Why a PhD in economics, and why a Catholic priest?

5. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

If I were forced to move somewhere that did not have a conservative Lutheran church (preferably LCMS), I would probably attend churches in this order of preference:

1. a liberal Lutheran church, but I would work to bring it back to conservative, confessional Lutheranism. If I failed, I would leave and go on to number 2.

2. Greek Orthodox

3. Anglo-Catholic Episcopalian

4. Presbyterian

5. Baptist

6. Roman Catholic

It would be a tough choice for me if I had to choose between Baptist and Roman Catholic churches. Most Baptists have the message of salvation right, but I would be uncomfortable with their sixteenth century doctrines of symbolic baptism and symbolic Lord's Supper. I also would be dissatisfied with their modern form of worship, instead of the historic, Christian liturgy.

Going to the Roman Catholic Church would give me alot of problems also. They have the true message of salvation also, faith in Christ and repentance, but they confuse the people with their complicated doctrine of good works. I have a great deal of respect for Mary, the Mother of Christ, but I don't like how much attention is given to her in the RCC. My RC latino friends pray 90% of the time to her, instead of Christ! I also don't like the church government style of the RCC. Too "top down". The local congregation should have much more say.

6. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

How does this response harmonize with your previous statement that you believe that only Lutheran's and Baptists hold to the truth?

7. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

When I look at the Bible I see two plausible interpretations:

1. the catholic/orthodox interpretation of the earliest Church Fathers

2. the Anabaptist/Baptist/Reformed/evangelical interpretation

If I were to be convinced that interpretation #2 is correct, I would be a Baptist.

Since I still believe that the catholic (small "c")/orthodox interpretation is the correct one, I believe that Lutherans are the closest denomination to the beliefs of the earliest Church Fathers, then the Greek Orthodox and so on.

I have not completely ruled out that the Baptists are right. That is why I am on this site. I am testing my catholic/orthodox beliefs against the beliefs of the Baptists, who have the most plausible alternative interpretation.

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I will always seek out a church of like faith and order of my local church which practices Baptist theological distinctives. If none was present, I would attend a conservative Presbyterian church, but do not agree with them on baptism, autonomy, or form of government.

9. billwald

billwald New Member

>Why a PhD in economics, and why a Catholic priest?

Economics fascinates me. A professorship in a college town would be a satisfying life. I'm not the greatest parent in the world.

Luther and Calvin never left the Catholic Church. They were ex-communicated. I have concluded that the Reformation did more harm than good.

A man's first loyalty should to his wife and children, not the Church or secular employment. I think the protestant churches are mislead by discouraging single adults from serving the church.

As Popeye often said, I yam what I yam."

10. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Well, that's a good explanation.

If you should ever return to the Baptists, you do realize that there are alternatives other than fundamentalists, right (conservative, but not fundamentalist)? And there are also some Baptist churches that use liturgy.

11. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Thanks for your answer.

12. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

I know I am biased but having house kept for our catholic priests I am awed at their intelligence and their learning. A book on the desk maybe somehing in Greek or some other language (I am a definite monoglot). Their years of formation in so many aspects of theology is staggering. And then when the awesome day of their ordination....they can be sent all over the globe and be among simple folk in Africa...and teaching the word of God in the particular dialect. I am amazed that there are young men who turn their backs to the delights of an ordinary life to spend their days across the globe, dependent (mostly) on the congregation to support them, I think these guys are incredible, but of course they have been called by God. It is sad when the occasional one falls from grace and falls mightily that the news has a field day, rather than writing a story in the day of the life of so many good men.:flower:

13. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I have many young mormons come to my door every year. They dedicate two years of their life as missionaries. I try to give a gospel witness to them before they leave my door. However, when they leave, the always want to wish me "God bless you." I either never respond or I say I hope God does not bless your efforts because you are leading people to hell. The same is true of these good young men you speak about. They are ministering for Satan and simply do not realize it.

14. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Right now I am part of a local conservative ACNA parish. However, if heaven forbid something happened to change the direction of my local congregation, diocese or province in a heterodox direction, then I'd either:
    (1) go back to my old ACC parish (but that's an hour away)
    (2) go to the local LCMS church
    (3) The EOC would be be my third preference, but my wife would not go for this at all. So I might at this point consider a conservative Methodist, Nazarene, or CofC church.

15. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

How very sad to hear you say such a slandrous thing, anyhow what it is worth "God bless you'.

16. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Exactly. My son attends a EVF church, the hippie atmosphere, praise band, weak doctrine, and I could preach a better sermon than his
    pastor can....after attending with him twice, I just cannot stomach
    the lukewarm feeling I get. My son goes there because his wife
    is comfortable there, she is a converted mormon, but still cannot tolerate
    anyone to berate her family of mormons. My son is a soul winner,
    and his church frowns upon outreach.

17. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

There was not one word of slander. Roman Catholicism is the greatest Christian cult in the world and they slander the cross of Christ by their sacramental gospel and Romans 4:11 is absolute undeniable Biblical evidence to prove it. I have not yet had one Roman Catholic, or one sacramentarium provide a contextual based response to this text - not one! I welcome you to provide it!

18. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

Dear Catholic sister in Christ,

To many Fundamentalists every "Christian" is part of a cult and going to hell except for them. It's sad, but this idea is taught to them from the cradle to the grave. I know, I grew up in it.

However, we must return anger and harsh words with kindness and love. They are our bothers and sisters in Christ.

19. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I see you also can make charges but cannot back them up! If you believe Romans 4:11 does not explicitly condemn saceramentalism then demonstrate it because I can demonstrate it does based upon the plain meaning of the words used by Paul in its context.

Your FEELING based response instead of a Biblical based response is telling. Your opposition to the plain teaching of scripture is also telling.

#39 The Biblicist, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2012
  20. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    again, we are NOT against catholics themselves, but ARE indeed against the largest Cult in World, one who has been teaching false Gospel all this time!