1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Counseling a mormon

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by BroChris, Aug 29, 2009.

1. BroChris

BroChris Member

Last Sunday, a woman that has been attending my church gave me a response card indicating that she would like to join the church. I called her on Monday, and found out that she grew up Baptist, but most recently was a member of the LDS. I was caught a little off guard and was unprepared to talk through issues which may arise, so we scheduled a time to talk about her becoming a member of the church. Before ending our phone conversation, though, she stated that she didn't agree with all mormon beliefs (didn't specify which), but did admire their love for Jesus Christ and the fellowship that they had. I will have this conversation with her tomorrow (Sunday) morning.

So my question to you all, then, is how you would go about this conversation? What questions would you ask?

2. rdwhite

rdwhite New Member

If she was saved in a Baptist church, then I would do a basic statement of faith review, just to make sure she believes and understands what the church believes. More than likely, she really didn't understand the differences, went because a friend invited her, and she enjoyed the company.

I imagine that her name is still on the role of the baptist church she attended. So you can probably request a letter from them. If not, I would let her join on statement of faith. Then make sure she gets a good Bible Study/Discipleship course to give her the grounding she didn't get to begin with.

3. PeterM

PeterM Member

The first series of questions I would ask her would revolve around her salvation experience. Who led her to the Lord... what church was she connected with... who was the pastor at the time. Ask her to account for what she believed about Jesus. If she is able to give a strong testimony of her salvation, I would then ask her to tell you who discipled her.

Unfortunately we baptists have put nearly all of our eggs in the "evangelism" basket and almost none in the "making disciples" basket. Resulting in our churches be little more than nurseries for baby Christians that never grow up and are vunerable to deception. If she hasn't been intentionally discipled, but has a credible testimony, allow her to join the fellowship and immediately place her with someone who will pour their life into her's so that she will grow into a mature disciple who will repeat the process in someone elses life.

#3 PeterM, Aug 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2009
  4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I would ask her what made her move to the Mormon church, and why does she want to come back to Baptist?

You might ask her how she was involved in the MOrmon church, if she was involved in temple work. If she had already obtained her own planet.

You might ask her how many husbands she has. hahaha. Just Kidding.

You might want to brush up some up some on Mormon doctrine, too.

5. BroChris

BroChris Member

Thanks for all your input. The conversation went well. For a good portion of it, I simply let her talk. I found out that she was only involved with the LDS group for about a year or two. Once she was baptized, she started to learn how different their beliefs were from what she had always been taught in the Baptist faith, how salvation is by grace alone through Jesus Christ alone. So she started to look for somewhere else to attend. She began attending my church a couple years ago, because that is where her best friend is a member. I've been preaching on fellowship and what the church is and ought to be, and something in all that triguered her to want to officially join.

She came forward this morning, and we accepted her on the promise of a letter.

6. rdwhite

rdwhite New Member

Amen, glad to hear it, I had figured that was the situation, it usually is. At least she had gotten enough bible to know that she was not getting truth. Many times, un-discipled baptists will soak up mormon teachings like a dry sponge.

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Good. Enough said!