1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Count the Lies: Obama vowed public debate on healthcare 8 times

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I agree. My question, original question, was in response to the OP. Does Obama, as President, have the authority to make the Congress put their debates/meetings on t.v.? I doubt the answer is yes. Of course Obama should never have made the promise. Just another campaign promise that will not be fulfilled. Of course Obama is not alone in that. Politicians are famous for not telling the truth (ie...lying).

==I agree that most people would be outraged if they really understood what this healthcare bill will do. My question for the Republicans is this: When you get into power, will you reverse this policy? The answer, of course, is no they will not. They love power just as much as the Democrats. That is why I am going third party.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And it matters not. The President does not have the authority to make congress do anything. Yet any President is seen as the leader of their own party and is praised or criticized for success or failure on this. Your question is a needless distraction from reality.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, my question goes right to the heart of the issue. If Obama made a promise he cannot keep that should be pointed out (as I have done). However saying that he just refuses to exercise a power he does not have is unfair. Obama made a promise he can't keep. This is not a matter of him refusing to keep his promise, he can't keep his promise. Thus he should never have made the promise to begin with. Of course we all know that has never stopped any politician before.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, and you've stayed off topic ever since.

The OP had nothing to do with Obama's authority. Instead it had to do with multiple broken promises on the same subject. Whether or not he has that authority is not really germaine to the subject. He evidently thought he did, and shouldn't have made the promise if he didn't.

Bottom line is , whether he has the "authority" or not, I believe all he has to do is say the word and it will happen.

Do you disagree?

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prove it. Never mind. You can't prove that , if he says the word, it won't happen. His campaign dishonesty should compel hem to try, but I don't believe he will.

Either way, he publicly stated he could at least 8 times. He's either a liar or dumb as a box of rocks to keep saying he could.

#25 carpro, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2010
  6. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the old "Tootsie Roll Pop" commercial with the kid asking "how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop?"

How many lies does it take before a politician can be considered a liar?

The great majority of them are liars by my reckoning. It all depends on who's lies you're willing to keep listening too I guess. One could come to the conclusion that lying and the ability to do it with a straight face is truly bipartisan. At least that's my conclusion.

A person "has to have rocks in their head" to coin a phrase often used by my grandmother to believe what 99 and 44/100s % of them have to say.

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. There are more than a few very large egos on Capital Hill and they are not about to let anyone, including the President, turn the lights on in their dark room (Jn 3:20).

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think most of us know that, like most politicians, he is a liar who will say/promise anything to get elected. He does not have the authority (legal or otherwise) to force cameras on the healthcare debates (etc). His promise to do so was just another, "I'll give you the moon if you vote for me". Politicians do this over and over again and the American people keep falling for it. When will they learn? That is my question.

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You don't get it.It is not a matter of whether he has legal authority. That is irrelevant. It is a matter of does he have the leadership clout to get them to fulfill his promise. The fact that he has no legal authority on this has always been a given and never a consideration. No one ever expected he did. It is about him being the leader of the Democratic party.

10. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

No doubt Rev. When was the last time a politician (aside from Ron Paul) ever worried about constitutional or legal authority? I thought George Bush made it rather clear that the POTUS alone is the decider of such things.

This makes me wonder if Obama ever thanked Bush for setting him up with such sweet dictatorial powers?

#30 poncho, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2010
  11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately, we'll never find out the answer. He has no intention of even trying to keep his promise.

12. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Remember when the Dems were so concerned about Bush setting up these dictatorial powers and even concerns that he would find a way to stay in office? Where are these people who were so concerned about Bush being a dictator that they completely ignore what Obama has done? I guess it doesn't matter how many powers the President usurps as long as it's their guy in office. Trying to become a dictator in this "republic" is/should be wrong no matter which side of the aisle you're sitting in.

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A few of them are right here on this board, but I doubt they'll own up to it.

14. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I own up to it and I'm not even a democrat. Obama should be thanking Bush for setting him up with such dictatorial power if he hasn't already.

That's what puppets do you know. Set up the next one with more power and control and less accountability. When is the last time any of us witnessed an incoming president rufuse and repeal all the extra powers granted to him by the outgoing one?

Oh yeah, if their core policies are so different then why do they even look the same endless corporate wars and endless corporate bailouts. Obama is just the extension of the Bush/Clinton coalition's grab for power only this time with a leftist cover to fool all the little Obamanoids much the same as Bush fooled all the little Bbots into thinking he was a conservative and noninterventionist with a rightist cover.

They all work for the same people and it ain't us.

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

:laugh: Worked. Didn't it?

Good job, Poncho. I knew I could depend on you.