1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

court

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by godschild, Jul 14, 2005.

1. godschild

godschild New Member

I have been a child of God now for five years and am facing a big decision, and would appreciate some Biblical christian advice. Our church hired an internet Pastor July 03, after he was at our church 1 1/2 months, the congregation started leaving the church, we ended up with 5 families by end of year. Our church was givin some land to build a church on, and this pastor privately talked to each church member individually, and now the land has been sold, and the money has been put into a bank pending court. The church members voted this pastor and his family out, and the members intercepted the check, the pastor locked the church members out of the church, and since then has given all the church property away, and now is sueing the remaing church members and the church for the money. This pastor has been digging up the members past, and found something that was damageing to one of the members and has posted it all over the internet and upon windows in town. My understanding is that what happened before you were saved is under the blood, and has been forgiven by God. Our court date is coming up and now this pastor is wanting to settle for 1/2 the money before court. The remaining members have been praying to God for answers upon what to do with Gods money from the land sale. Should we go to court or settle with this man. Please if anyone has ever been in this predictiment, or can shed some light, email me. Thank you in advance

2. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

You do mean "Interim Pastor" and not "internet Pastor" as you posted, right? [​IMG]

3. godschild

godschild New Member

NO, we found this pastor off the internet, he moved his family from across state to pastor our church

4. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

Did he sign a contract with the church? He sounds like the type that has his bases covered. If so, pay him off and bid him adieu. You'll save money. Next time don't be so hasty in selecting a pastor.

5. godschild

godschild New Member

You know I think we have all learned our lesson, but with the dirt on one of our members who is now trying to run the church, he has destroyed the church I believe. Our church has a bad name in our city. There was no contract signed.

6. Wife of One

Wife of One New Member

*looks at the posts knowing full well the whole situation and shakes my head and sighs*

Do not settle.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

godschild, you guys need a lawyer to sort all that out.
    And be more careful next tme you vote in a pastor, check out his past churches maybe.

8. godschild

godschild New Member

Thanks donnA, we do have a lawyer, and our court date is the end of this month. The thing I dont get or understand, I thought the Bible says you do not sue the brothern, and are Christians to go out and dig 15 year old news about someone and spread it on the internet, as well as post flyers thru a small town. All our small group of church members left have tried to do is keep the church going. These people have got me confused.

9. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

You're not nearly as confused as you think you are. The Bible says what it says. Seems as though someone in this situation is the confused one.

Satan comes in as an angel of light. What is lighter to us than a pastor?

Do not be discouraged. God is at work even in a seemingly hopeless situation.

10. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Maybe I'm not getting something, but if the church voted the pastor out, how does he have the ability to sell the church property and keep the members out?

This is a "members run" church, isn't it?

11. godschild

godschild New Member

Yes we are a member run church, but our by laws states the pastor was the overseerer which made our ex pastor feel he had the control over the church, and he had the locks changed on the church doors. I dont know if he sold the church property or just gave it to another church. They kept the piano for their personal use. We had an emergency meeting on Saturday, voted him out, then on Sunday morning when we went to church to present him with the termination papers, the doors were locked and he was sitting outside the church in a chair. We invited him and his wife to the meeting Saturday, they did not show.

12. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Personally,

I think the church should demand a "jury of our peers" trial. If the facts are as you present them, I cannot imagine anyone siding against the church.

You may also want to do a little background check of your own. This man sounds more like some kind of con-man than a Minister of God.

Also, I think, by keeping property of the church, himself, he is guilty of theft - legally as well as spiritually.

The piano - I assume - was purchased through church funds or was given to the church. The tax-exempt status of the church would generally prohibit an individual from profiting personally off of anything given to the church unless it was properly reported as an income to the IRS.

13. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

The Apostle Paul said, under inspiration of the Spirit, it would be better to be defrauded than to take a court case before a secular authority.

I suggest you try to find an organization that conducts christian arbitration and see if the former pastor would agree to binding arbitration.

14. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

Agree with Texas.

This person needs to be in jail - not negotiated with. Settling would allow this person to get paid for his trouble of having to lock you out, look up things against another person and gossip against him (true or not, he should not have divulged his knowledge to anyone but God), and sell the property that did not belong to him in the first place.

This person has committed fraud against the church, and also committed an offense against your fellow worshipper of common law malice.

I would imagine that there is more to this 'internet Pastor' than you see. Sounds like he has some skills in hurting people that he must have acquired by doing this previously.

Best wishes.

15. godschild

godschild New Member

First of all I want to thank all of you for your responses. This has been a very tough situation for all the members.
    Texas, I never heard of jury of our peers, we are going to civil court if we dont settle with them. They want to settle now for 10m. We have tried a background check, not much there. Since moving to MO., they are getting housing, welfare, and disibility from the state. Their children are being home schooled when they have school, and it looks like the church bought some of those materials as well. I was unaware of the tax exempt status on the piano.
    JDCanady, we have tried to settle once before, but they want to much of the land money. We are going to make another offer to settle out of court today. The church was tithing to pay bills, but the ex-pastor and his wife purchased alot of items for the church that was not approved out of their own pocket. They are claiming to have spent around 10M, and telling people the church agreed to pay them back, when the land was sold, this is not true. Most of the items purchased were not approved nor did the church need to function. A lot of the merchandise was purchased for their own 4 girls to occupy them during church service.

16. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

Good LORD! Did I read that right...10M as in Million? WHAT pray tell did they buy to entertain their children with? A three ring circus?

I do not think this internet guy has a leg to stand on. Make this right.

17. godschild

godschild New Member

Sorry, emerald, the m is for 10,000.00, I hope and pray whatever happens brings honor and glory to our Lord and Saviour.