1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Covenant/Dispy Theology, How Do They Line Up?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by saturneptune, Jul 20, 2013.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Do you think Covenant theology is more in line with Calvinism or being a non-Cal/Arminian?

If so, which is mostly aligned with Dispy?

I know there are Covenants and Dispys on both sides of the Calvin-free will debate.

2. Herald

Herald New Member

Let me answer it this way. I do not know of many Arminians who are true Covenant Theologians, although I do know Calvinists who are Dispensationalists.

Practically speaking Covenant Theology is mostly aligned with Calvinism because it was developed by the Magisterial Reformers, and refined by later Reformers and the Puritans. It is not exclusive to Presbyterians as Baptists developed their own form of Federal Theology; separating with Presbyterians on infant baptism and church government.

Dispensationalism was founded by John Nelson Darby in the mid-19th Century and was later expanded upon by Cyrus Ingerson "C.I." Scofield and Lewis Sperry Cafer.

Dispensationalism is formulaic whereas Covenant Theology, as its name suggests, is covenantal. Dispensationalism is formulaic in that it assigns a date sequence to eschatological events. Covenant Theology presents God's dealings with humanity through a system covenants. Dispensationalism has also been called "mathematical theology" because of its formulaic nature and Covenant Theology "replacement theology" because of its view of the Church replacing Israel.

You will find Covenant Theology being the position of most Reformed churches. Some Calvinistic, but not Reformed, churches will show a mix of both Covenant Theology and Dispensationalism. You will be hard pressed to find many Arminian churches embracing Covenant Theology since Covenant Theology was the product of the Reformation, and the deep divide between Calvinism and Arminianism makes such an acceptance unlikely.

3. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having been branded a hyper-calvinist, hyper-dispensationalist, I have always based my beliefs on scripture. I became a HC by reading the Scriptures, I was an established 5 pointer from reading them before I ever read a word of Calvin or anyone else. I was kicked out of a missions school for believing the doctrines although they admitted that I shared the gospel more than any student they had ever had. Unlike some primitive baptists I believe that preaching the gospel and believing the gospel are necessary and are the fruit, not the root, of regeneration.

When the Lord opened my eyes to the doctrines of grace and I came to find out about the reformers I decided I should investigate infant baptism and covenant theology, however as I read the Scriptures I came to the opposite conclusions on those two points.

I believe that God will keep all of His covenants, unlike those who believe in "covenant theology" including the ones He made with the elect physical descendants of Abraham and that elect Gentiles become partakers with them in all the promises of God. I am pre-millenial and pre-tribulational like many Presbyterians such as Donald Grey Barnhouse and James Montgomery Boice.

If God doesn't keep His promise to elect Israel why should I believe He will keep it with me.

#3 SovereignMercy, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2013
  4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess the name " church of the covenant" would be a clue right!

#4 Earth Wind and Fire, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2013
  5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I do not want to put words into Dr. Bob's mouth, but he is absolutely 100% pro sovereignty and grace. In one of his last posts, he talked about believing in pretrib, premil, unless I misunderstood him. I know that there are all four combos, I always thought Calvinism and covenant went together most of the time. Actually me reading that post inspired this thread.

Thanks to all for your input.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I was a PCA member for 25 years, and changed to Baptist 36 years ago over church government, hierarchy, and infant baptism. I have noticed some local Baptist churches have changed to the elder form of government. Lots of times in the Presbyterian Church, elders were elected on social status instead of spiritual maturity.

7. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    The PCA was formed in 1973, so I guess you were in the PCUSA before that?

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Allot has changed in the PCUSA since then..they are now totally apostate.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was my experience as well...though not the orthodox Presbyterians ...they only chose men who were solid Christians with servent hearts.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Nope PCUS, which used to be the Southern Presbyterian Church.