1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Covenant Theology

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Dr Steve, Sep 16, 2002.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regardless of whether one is a covenantalist, new covenantalist, dispensationalist, etc., we all agree on what is right and wrong, such as adultery is wrong, stealing is wrong, bestiality is wrong, sex outside of marriage is wrong, showing mercy is right, being compassionate is right, etc., etc., etc.

Ken [​IMG]

2. Dr Steve

Dr Steve New Member

Who cares about historic fundamentalism, its Biblical fundamentalism that concerns me and should concern us all.And Covenant theology is a challange to Biblical fundamentalism.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying that a Christian cannot be a Covenantalist? :confused:

Ken

4. Dr Steve

Dr Steve New Member

In reply to Ken Hamilton. No, i am saying that i fundamentalist cannot be a covenantalist, it is inconsistent with the teaching of scripture. Biblical fundamentalism leads to dispensational pre-tribulational pre millennialism.

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

You would have a very hard time showing this from Scripture. When you compare the New Covenant passages to the other covenants, you find that the NC was a reaffirmation of the Abrahamic and Palestinian covenants (if you see a Palestinian in Deut 29-30). The NC was made with the house of Israel and the house of Jacob and it involved a restoration to the land. Let's be careful with the Word here.

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Historic fudnamenatalsim was biblical fundamentalism and fundamentalists care about it. Covenant theology is a challenge to sound biblical exegesis; it is a not a challenge to fundamentalism since covenantalism does not challenge any fundamental doctrines.

I agree with you that covenantalism is simply wrong, that it cannot be defended from normal exegesis, but I am not about to call a covenantalist unsaved or less committed to the fundamental doctrines of Scripture and its corollary of separation simply because they are a covenantalist.

7. M Wickens

M Wickens New Member

Seeing as there are various understandings of Covenant theology can someone list what they believe to be the distinctives of Covenant theology?

From my understanding of covenant theology, which I feel is quite good as I had a couple of excellent teachers, truly great men, it is impossible to be a Covenant theologian and baptist. While I would fellowship with covenant theologians and realise they are brothers in Christ, I cannot see how they can be Baptists.

People's understanding of a Baptist also varies so perhaps a brief list of Baptist distinctives would be in order. And please, if anyone does, make them BAPTIST distinctives.

[ September 23, 2002, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: M Wickens ]

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist