1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cover up!!

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by TaterTot, Apr 14, 2008.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

It should be addressed, yes. But our goal is repentance & restoration.

First, we would need to make sure that we didn't mis-interpret an accident or such as deliberate sin.

Second, our approach should be done in love. That doesn't mean capitulation to sin, but it does mean that in upholding standards we do so with kindness & gentleness.

2. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is where Titus 2 needs to be read and applied by the older ladies of the church. I don't think a pastor should tell another woman her dress is bothering him, he should tell his wife or another lady and let her say something. If a man says something like that to another woman, it could be misconstrued and cause a lot of embarassment for both parties.

It would be good to have a woman address this issue with the ladies, and point out some practical suggestions.

3. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

okay...

...i'll reply here.

There is nothing remotely sexual about nursing a baby. It is a completely natural and lovely function.

People who are afraid they may be "turned on" by such an activity need to examine their own hearts for the perversions which may lie within. Those who are offended are in actuality offended at God for providing this means of nourishment and bonding to babies.

Having said that - in our culture, it is wise and respectful to be modest even while nursing. But I, too, have spent long periods of time in nations where this was not something to be embarrassed or shocked about.

I think the greater concern is the issue of modesty in dress and apparal. This is a very big issue for men - most of whom are visual in nature.

I think it all comes down to context...

4. Marla

Marla New Member

Please refrain from calling it a perversion, your opinion only. Fornication is also a perversion btw.
    Offended people are "not in actuality offended at God for providing a means of nourishment..." that's crazy.
    Your post is full of false conclusions.

5. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I accept your criticism - and disagree.

God gave women this method of nourishing and bonding with their babies. Why should we be offended at it? I'm certainly not. Are you?

The perversion I speak of is that which brings on sexual excitement as a result of seeing a baby nursing. I stand behind my statement - meaning of course that this action should not provoke immoral thoughts.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    God gave us a method of disposing my diet soda. But I would expect others to be offended...

Many things are natural ... but are expected to be done in private.

Salty

7. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Well put - we should not intentionally offend others.

But that wasn't my point.

At this point, I'll bow out of this thread. I'll just wind up defending my view, and that may be unproductive.

Let me just say that IMHO, I am in no way offended when a woman nurses her baby when she covers herself while doing so. She does this for her own modesty - which is commendable. But I can have a conversation or preach - and not be affected, offended, or distracted by it at all.

#27 USN2Pulpit, Apr 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2008
  8. Joe

Joe New Member

Except we certainly can't discount the truth. It happens and there is no need to point fingers at anyone, it's life.
    On any given night, the majority of women who have a human mouth on them *in this manner* are not babies.

My wife was careful and decent also, most women are.
    Yet when privacy was available, she took it out of respect for others.
    Sometimes she nursed in our car, which was parked away from pedestrians.

Very rarely do I see a need for a woman to nurse in public. In our area, bathrooms are available if there is an emergency (a need to nurse)

We will have to disagree here. Immodest dress means a ladies private parts are covered, even if it is to a lesser degree. No chance to be "flashed". Every red blooded man has wondered what "they" look like, and a baby attatched to it doesn't change that. Even women do that to other women so I think nursing ought to be done in private or around very close friends. It's an extremely intimate act.

Immodest dress is the norm here, much different than a woman nursing in a church where most men just sit there bored wanting any reason to direct their attention anywhere except the sermon. In church, it's too easy to keep looking at a nursing mother, if even, out of boredom. Especially for kids. I don't want my son seeing a naked woman until he is married so we would not attend a church which allowed this.

Luckily, God has various types of churches for various types of people...:)

9. Joe

Joe New Member

Oh, ok. I understand. You are more respectful that I thought :thumbs: Good for you

10. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

Well said! Everything must be done for the purpose of lifting folks up!

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

We also need to bear in mind that these situations will require different responses depending upon who the 'immodest' person is. If it is a first- or second- (or even perhaps a third- or fourth- ) time likely unsaved visitor I probably wouldn't say much. I know some preachers that would get up on the pulpit and call them nasty names, but I digress.

However if it is a person who professes Christ and ought to know better, then some discipling by a godly and wise woman is definitely in order.

12. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

IMHO when it comes to dress, except for the most extreme circumstances (one we probable would never encounter) a visitor should always be made to feel welcome, and nobody should give any "looks" that would make them feel uncomfortable. If it is a member then someone close to him or her should talk to them privately and in a humble manner.

As far as breast feeding, if it is just as easy to go to the foyer that might be best, but overall I think it shouldn't be a big deal if done discreetly.

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

I would express concern that there could be udder confusion here....

....but I won't.

:D :D

14. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Ba Da Bump (in my best drum impression)

15. queenbee

queenbee Member

Well said C4K!

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    HTML:
     Originally Posted by C4K There ought to be 
    common decency and thoughtfulness. My wife 
    nursed ... in church, ...and anyplace else we 
    went. .... It is not some "intimate, private act 
    intended only for a man and woman." My wife 
    was always careful and decent, ...

</DIV>

The Key pharse is "Careful and decent" ie using a blanket to fully cover little Billy

Salty

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I knew someone would equate a nourishing food that God created to feed babies with feces and urine. Thanks for not letting me down.

18. Joe

Joe New Member

I think I told this story when I joined the BB

Right after my wife was baptized (not Baptist), within two weeks a group of older ladies got together and confronted her about her dress attire. Funny thing is, if the person who "had the problem" would have simply asked her to do them a favor and dress more modestly, she would have complied without hesitancy. A few church ladies called afterwards, asking what happened when she was "confronted".

Yet this "gossip" went rampid through the church, and by the time it got to her, she was quite embarrassed. We both didn't know what to think, I mean there has to be bigger issues in that church than her clothing attire. Talk about weird...
    She didn't know who her friends were, as I wondered that too. Many just had no class, didn't know any better.
    She never went back, until maybe a year or so ago. I attended for a little while with our son, but got tired of answering the same old question of "where is your wife?"

So it's not surprising that I say, don't involve others, and don't make a big deal of it. Just ask them to dress more modest as a favor to you. You seem very sweet, I can't see them not complying to your wishes.

19. queenbee

queenbee Member

That is totally uncalled for (not your story, but the ladies? behaviour). Under no circumstances do you hold each other accountable and then use a 'megaphone' approach to blab about someone else's 'sin', whatever that might be. I am so sorry your wife was dealt with in this awful manner. Always, it must be done in a quiet, discreet way so as to uplift, not to deliberately hurt someone else's feelings. I wonder if those same ladies might have been shamed into apologizing had they actually been told the truth why your wife was no longer attending church?

20. BaptistBarb

BaptistBarb New Member

Pretty gross, ain't it :BangHead: