1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Cracker Barrel Fires 73-Year-Old Veteran Who Gave Food To 'Needy' Man

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Jun 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

And perhaps this in contrast is overthinking. Your example is far fetched and just doesn't happen nearly as often as people who give that same example like to want to make people think it does.

And why is it that the people of God often seem more apt to make excuses for not helping someone than they are for looking for reasons and ways to help?

He wasn't giving away everything. He gave the guy a muffin. You're blowing things to that proportion to justify not helping someone. It's probably that kind of foolishness that the old man didn't really see a need to get involved in just to help someone.

I don't think CTB said otherwise. But the unsaved world seems to be more willing to listen to folks who are willing to genuinely help them than it is to listen to folks who are always griping about "this is my money and I'm not gonna help you because if I help you , you'll tell all your friends and they'll all show up at my dor and then I won't have anything".

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can afford to give $5 to a homeless man (it's payday). But I think if someone else took $5 out of my wallet and gave it away I'd think it steeling.

3. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We just need to spread the corn muffins around.

Have u eaten a corn muffin from Caucasian Barrel? I'm surprised he wasn't charged for a hate crime! Their corn muffins are hockey pucks that get buttered. David could have used them to slay Goliath. Nothing quite like the gritty, stale taste of a CB corn muffin. I wonder if the under cover tramp handed the punishment-food right back to the guy?

4. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My neighbor can afford to replace his lawnmower if I stole it and gave it to someone who needed one.

Theft is theft. I am surprised that some on this site do not see it as a violation of the Eighth Commandment.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup: Their corn muffins are awful.

6. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Using the logic of your stance then you [not me] must consider Jesus and his disciples thieves when they took a handful of grain from a field on the Sabbath because they were hungry.

7. thisnumbersdisconnected

[​IMG]

Ignorant. Perhaps you should read the OT Law regarding leaving some grain in the fields for the poor. And that wasn't the government ordering it done, either.

#27 thisnumbersdisconnected, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2014
  8. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberal theology is considered cultic. It is hard to respect the neo-orthodox. Anyone who steals should be fired.

9. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I have seen on somebody's sig line --- " Don't steal! The government hates competition."

To a liberal, it's NOT stealing if:
    1 - The government takes it!!!!:sleep:
    2 - If the govt takes it from a conservative and/or business. (OPM:smilewinkgrin:)

There is no commandment that says, hints at, or implies that we are to take care of the poor WITH OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY!

Cut it, slice it, twist it, read it any way you want, the command is for you, YOU, YOU to use your OWN resources to help the poor.

If Christ had thought you should "spread the wealth", I think He could have very easily stated such, but then He would be violating "THOU SHALT NOT STEAL":rolleyes:

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Wasn't leaving gleanings an accepted and normative part of Jewish culture?

IF CB's corporate policy was to allow modern 'gleanings' there might be a point here.

#30 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2014
  11. thisnumbersdisconnected

But if CTB were to wear a hat ...

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Cracker Barrel may not allow for gleanings, but it seems from the post above that they do take part in charitable giving.

No one expects corporations to give. It is up to individuals but those individuals can't give away corporation stuff.

13. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should clergy be allowed to glean from the collection plates?

14. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cracker Barrel, even though technically, legally, within their rights, will probably lose customers on this one.

It is illegal to give military rations to civilians--but it happens, by the pallet, even though the recipients cannot digest such food. This is grounds for at least an Article 15, of the Uniform Code of Military Justice. Sometimes the rules are set aside for a higher purpose--compassion. Real Good Samaritans are not politically correct.

There is no such thing as corporate compassion unless the glory goes to the company. Try to repay a company for using their copy machine for personal use or to help a non-profit--it creates no small amount of consternation--in as much as many are guilty--even in high places.

Sometimes core values are difficult to understand.

Preachers of righteousness have been incarcerated--for preaching the gospel--outside the correct auspices of course.

Jesus said this would happen to His followers.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

But corporations are not bound to Bible principles. There is nothing wrong with being 'out to make money.' That is what businesses do and why they can have the money to hire people like this employee.

Corporations are not charities - and they action should wouldn't keep my from Cracker Barrel. It is usually the first place I visit after landing in the US :)

16. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong. What Christ and the Disciples did was legal. Leviticus 19: 9,10.

17. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Could we make a similar analogy for abortion? It is definitely a Bible issue, yet a legal procedure per our Federal Supreme Court, a secular entity.

Do moral rules apply/override amoral, immoral rules?

Bro. James

18. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I wonder if it's insulting to call someone ignorant just because they say something you disagree with?

19. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a man who stole from his employer to give to a homeless person. Here in Indy, we have soup kitchens and homeless shelters to provide for street people, who are often addicts or mentally ill.

However, liberal theology/neo-orthodox theology says that a business is not private property and must take care of street people.

On your point about abortion, liberal theology/neo-orthodox theology in defiance of science and ultra-sound video, for example, says that the unborn child is not alive and therefore it is not murder to abort the unborn child, which they call by the Latin word "fetus", which means unborn child, as you know.

So you are using language to mean one thing and the liberal theologian is using the same language to mean something else. I think that liberal theology has been defined as cultic for over 100 years, right?

20. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's also a matter of liability. By giving the homeless guy the muffin without paying for it, the 73-year old made Cracker Barrel responsible for any illness or injury the homeless guy may have incurred by eating the muffin. In fact, these policies that some are blaming on Cracker Barrel (and other corporations) may actually be dictated by their insurance companies ... the same insurance companies that those same people have placed their trust in for our healthcare systems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.