1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Crazy diets

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by Salty, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I found this in the Syracuse Post Standard.

So many of us struggling to lose weight listen for words that will be our salvation. We want to read something that will solve our weight problems and change our lives.
    I am as guilty as everyone else of listening to words that really make no sense.
    Years ago when I was an overweight teenager, I read an article that recommended sleeping in a cold bedroom as a method of losing weight without dieting. The reasoning was that the cold would force your body to shiver to keep you warm, and you would burn calories in your sleep. I opened my bedroom windows wide in the dead of winter, put up with ranting parents, stuffed towels under the door so no heat would come in--and remained a fat teenager.

0Share

On my treadmill the other day, I listened to "diet tips" that would help battle obesity without dieting. Supposedly having a bouquet of flowers on the table will make us think of food, so the suggestion was to replace the floral centerpiece with a bowl of fruit. Like that will keep me from thinking of food? I have yet to eat a flower bouquet. Entice me with a bowl of fruit, though, and I'll eat.
    Someone told me to stop using clear bowls to hold fruit. The reasoning is that if we see all of the food in a clear bowl, we will eat more than just the few that are visible on the top in a regular bowl. I like clear bowls so I can keep my eye on which piece is ripening the fastest, and eat that piece first. I find it hard to believe if I buy new bowls I will eat less fruit.
    My all-time favorite crazy bit of advice is to eat mini-meals throughout the day. Mini-meals might be a good thing for a mini-appetite, but I have learned the hard way that the more I am around food, the more tempting it becomes. And, I'm not sure how much food constitutes a mini-meal. An apple? If many of us who are overweight had the ability to eat mini-meals, we would not be in the mess we are in.
    I have a book that tells me, based on my blood type, how to lose weight.
    I have invested in larger pots for batches of low-calorie cabbage soup, considered a "free" food on Weight Watchers and other diet plans.
    I bought dessert plates in a color I hate because, supposedly, a person eats less from smaller plates, and less from plates they don't like.
    I've done all this, and more, in an effort to avoid what I know is the truth: the words of inspiration that will help me lose weight are inside of me.
    Bunny Dimmel, of Liverpool, is a teacher at Clary Middle School in Syracuse who has lost more than 250 pounds. She weighs in every other week. Reach her through [email protected].

Thoughts???

2. God's Rainbowgal

God's Rainbowgal New Member

Crazy Diets?

Crazy diets are just plain stupid..
    Doesn't anyone ever think about the effects that it may have on you?

To me personally IMO there is no such thing as the "perfect" diet.
    Why do i say that is because every diet will not be right for you and I'm sure will have some kind of effect on you.

I guess the main thing about a diet to do which everyone knows of course is just to eat healthy and get some exercise.

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I was looking for recipes online when I ran across a scam – a diet scam – called Kimkins. The decline of the program started a couple of years ago. The woman behind the company gained fame and fortune promoting her diet of 500 (or less!) calories a day. She is also pushing something that did not work for her. Many of her clients became seriously ill.

Amazing.

What I don’t get is why the site is still up and running, although there is information at the bottom of the page about the lawsuit.

Kimkins: Anatomy of a Diet Scam