1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Created In The Image Of God

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by idonthavetimeforthis, May 27, 2011.

1. idonthavetimeforthis

This has probably been addressed in the countless number of discussions regarding Reformed teaching, but I don't have time to go through all of the previous discussions, so I will ask this question here.

To my reformed brothers - what say ye to the argument that man was created in the image of God - mind, emotion, & will? The "will" is what I'm curious about. I understand the 5 points & all of that & am not trying to argue against them or for them. I'm just wondering - to be created in God's image, does that mean we were created with a "will"? If that is not a part of what being created in God's image is about, then what does "created in God's image" mean? And does it just refer to Adam or does it refer to us as well?

Just curious...

2. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't have time either but let's have at it. In our image, after our likeness.
    Even though it says he was created in God's image it never says he was created in the likeness of God. Image maybe form/shape, capable of life from an outside source. Likeness maybe the character of God which I do not think God gave him at this point.

Question? Is the following dominion as extensive as the dominion in Hebrews 2?
    and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
    Heb. 2:8 Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing [that is] not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him.

Is that because in the image of the resurrected Christ we will also have his likeness?

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We have a will that was also affected by the fall in Adam.When he died we died in him. Jesus as the true image-bearer as the Holy and perfect God/man..shows what a Holy will is in that as man he voluntarily submitted His will to that of the Father.
    [QUOTE 7Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.

8Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;

9Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

10By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
    ][/QUOTE]

God in foreknowing the elect,has destined and purposed that we would be conformed to this Holy image.....this is why those sinners who Jesus died for are sanctifed...once for all time...IN Christ.
    We are to be doing God's Holy will now{ law keeping} {covenant keeping}
    instead of lawless rebellion, self willed, covenant breaking.

Will try to offer more later.....good topic...good food for the spirit!:thumbs:

This section of scripture quoting psalm 8 comes into play on this;

#3 Iconoclast, May 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2011
  4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God in foreknowing the elect,has destined and purposed that we would be conformed to this Holy image.....this is why those sinners who Jesus died for are sanctifed...once for all time...IN Christ.
    We are to be doing God's Holy will now{ law keeping} {covenant keeping}
    instead of lawless rebellion, self willed, covenant breaking.

Will try to offer more later.....good topic...good food for the spirit!:thumbs:

This section of scripture quoting psalm 8 comes into play on this;[/QUOTE]

http://books.google.com/books?id=0N...v=onepage&q=The Image bearer doctrine&f=false

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I believe most Calvinist scholars reject the idea of the trichotomy of man.

But all Calvinists believe that man has a will.

All Calvinists believe that man makes real choices.

I've never known one who did not.

6. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

How was Adam created in the image of God ?

How was Adam created in the image and likeness of God his Creator ?

First of all, some have mistaken that what is meant by this is that adam was made in His image per regard to God's perfections as Deity. But although man in his creation was innocent and upright [until he transgressed] his innocence and uprightness cannot be compared with the immutable Holiness of God. For finite man was capable of sin, as we well should know. Also God's wisdom, power, truth, justice and omniscience and independence [freewill] were peculiar to Himself, and cannot ever be found in any of His creatures.

Now what is an image ? Its something visible and can be seen. The Supreme and eternal Godhead is invisible to finite beings, as He is called the invisible God Col 1:15; 1 Tim 1:17, For no man has seen God face to face at anytime.

Now the Lord Jesus Christ in His Mediatorial Glory was the Image of God Col 1:15

Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

Heb 1:3

3Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:

Phil 2:6

6Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

Now if we see that Christ as scripture states is the Image of the invisible God, how was man in adam the created in the image and likeness of his Creator ?

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being a partaker of the divine nature, as all the Redeemed are, and being created in God's image, as are all men, are not the same thing.

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

The image of God is not man alone. That is not good. God is one God in three persons. Marriage is one flesh in two persons (three if you count the spirit of love).

Christ is the image of God (Heb. 1:3), and the church is His body, and marriage is the picture of that.

The image of God is man and woman together in marriage taking dominion over the earth.

#7 Aaron, May 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2011
  8. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

How was Adam created in the image of God ? Cont

Lets look at Rom 5:14 Where the inspired writer and Apostle gives us wisdom. Paul states that Adam is the figure of Him to come.

14Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

The word figure here is the greek word typos:

the mark of a stroke or blow, print

2) a figure formed by a blow or impression

a) of a figure or image

And alongside that, Christ is the one who was coming, and it has been shown that Christ is the Lord God who created adam and all things in heaven and earth Jn 1:3

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Note: This Truth really confirms the Deity of Christ as God, since Adam is said to be created in God's image, and that image is Christ, Him that was to come, what can be more plainer ?

Those denying Jesus is God, may God if He so wills, grant you repentance.

One more evidence of Christ being God related to image see Col 3:10; Eph 4:24; cp Rom 8:29.

Now in Adam being constituted as the figure, there must have been a body or substance, if he was a type there existed an anti type, a image, then there was an original Col 1:17-18

Now how was Adam a type of the original upon His creation ?

9. idonthavetimeforthis

Bump...anymore thoughts?