1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Creating a Website

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Kathy, Oct 12, 2001.

1. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kathy - I got to thinking about it last night and a few other things occured to me.
    1) A correction: put "free Christian web hosting" not "web sites" into your search engine. Also on this point, do your search in Google as opposed to MSN or AOL. Both of those sites are expensive to submit to and (it may be coincidence) but I have trouble initiating Christian activities on MSN, even though I prefer their browser. Google allows submissions for free. http://www.google.com/
    2) If you add a guestbook, avoid Bravenet. Their counters are discreet but the guest book, which has a seperate URL from your created site, displays banner ads that are, to say the least, non-Christian/family oriented.
    and 3) If you see a webpage you like, or if you wish to use a custom created program on the site you used with an easy creator, right click on the screen of the site anywhere but an image or a link and go to "view source". Notepad will open and, voila, there is the HTML code. You can then paste that code into the HTML source on your webpage software and easily modify things. (Hard to be clear on this, sorry.)
    Also, I understand Netscape has a pretty decent free web creator that is available off-line. Post on this thread when you get your page done if you would. - Clint

2. mission2mexico

mission2mexico New Member

yahoo! geocities is easy for beginners. They have templates and you just fill in the info. That is how I learned too. Then you can look at the code and find out what it does.

3. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

Kathy, you're right. That site is excellent!

Also, this is the reason why this forum was given the green light.

The webmaster of Christian Graphic Design has agreed to become a BB expert contributor. More on this later.

4. Andrey

Andrey New Member

There are some great ideas here, and the web certainly is a great way to get word out to many people.

I have been using Front Page (98/2000/2002) for my personal ministry website at www.achievebalance.com and about a dozen others. I no longer use notepad, because I use HTML-Kit instead. I started out by learning HTML and using notepad because I was advised to do so. Not all will be best served that way.
    I also host websites (no adult sites) but I don't do it for free.

"If it's not worth YOUR money to have it up, it's not worth MY time to look at it."

I can be a resource for HTML, Javascript and Front Page AND accessibility issues. I also have had success with search engines. (many 1sts and 2nds!) I work with Blind people and know how to make the web available to them. If you've been designing for paper and use the same techniques for the web, you will again not allow blind people to visit your site.

To check me out, and my work you can start at www.achievebalance.com or www.webhost4you.com. I offer what I have learned to those wanting to learn and use.

Andrey
    Achieving Balance in an Unbalanced World

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brethren:

I know many of us "hate" hard coding,but,
    if we really want to learn, it is a must.
    Now, I would like to recommend the following for your use both for hard coding and as a wysiwyg editor, etc.
    </font>
    • notetabpro (download from either zdnet or cnet's download.com. type it into the search engines too);</font>
    • topstyle pro (paid version) or topstyle lite (free). For your css coding needs. very versatile but easy to use if you have the basic understanding of css.
      </font>
    For what it's worth.

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm looking at that Notetab Lite, Pinoy; interesting. While checking it out, I stumbled across another Notepad replacement called "MetaPad"; also interesting, but it's simply a notepad replacement.

For something even more different, try Arachnophilia (www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia). My personal favorite.

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thought I posted this in the above message; guess I had a "senior moment"....

Andrey, PLEASE start a new thread on search engine tactics!

8. Jesus Page Tools

Jesus Page Tools New Member

Starting out about 5 years ago with no schooling I looked and looked and read, finally I found a drag and drop site that alows you to learn by cutting and paseting scripts in and draging or typing regular text. Then loading ! Easy as one, two, three, ! now years later, I have 3 domains and about 150 to 350 hits daily. Of course I also own a submission prog. Heres where I started,
    "ourchurch.com" you can build a site with no html knowledge at all ! As you learn more you will add html then java, perl and so on but try this before you jump out on your own. Hope this helps . In Christ David "JesusPageTools.com"

9. LindaB

LindaB New Member

Hi there
    take your time, dont try to match up with the big boys right away, learn a little at a time and learn it well, then move on.
    My first site was 5 years ago on geocities, i had 10 graphics and a million flashy things. now I run my own web & graphic design business.
    above all, do all for the glory of God. Never compromise in your work, who you link to or who you advertise. never promote anything or anyone that is anti-Jesus in any form at all.
    The main goal is to glorify God and to bring others to His Son. Dont ask yourself what would Jesus Do, but ask am I helping others see what Jesus has done.
    You will do well in learning the technical stuff as well as developing great content when your focus remains on Him.
    Now, I agree, get front page, it is a great program and you will learn html , and if you want in the future, move on to write you own fancy 'stuff'
    Use templates offered for free online, this way you can play around with them, and if you mess it up, nothing lost!
    I have an ebook i just finished on the basics of web & graphic design for christians if you want it, email me I will send it.
    I dont have the free version posted online yet
    Linda
    ChristianGraphicDesign.com

10. Jesus Page Tools

Jesus Page Tools New Member

To start with no html knowledge. Start here ! Free Web site ! In Christ David