1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Creation questions

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by David J, May 17, 2005.

1. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

It does say in the Bible that if a prophet predicts something and it fails to come true - that prophet is a false prophet.

Well, YEC as prophecy is not true, because of numerous proofs that the earth and the universe are far older than 10,000 years.

Therefore, it is biblical to turn to another way of prophesying from Genesis 1.

2. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

No, not if the believer is only three years old and not especially bright.

Amen! Absolutely! (But of course no one in this thread is doing that.)

[​IMG]

3. Craigbythesea

I believe the Bible, but I do NOT believe some hocus pocus interpretations of it (and I don’t believe that God does either).

[​IMG]

4. Craigbythesea

Anyone who disagrees with the point of view of tens of thousands of biologists when there is not even one Ph.D. biologist teaching in a major university who agrees with them is, in my highly educate opinion, either ignorant, stupid, dishonest, or mentally ill.

[​IMG]

5. Craigbythesea

Liz Ward wrote,

I believe in the Resurrection because the data available overwhelming supports that event. I do not believe in a literal interpretation of Gen. 1-11 because the data available overwhelmingly contradicts that particular interpretation. I believe the Bible, but I do not believe ridiculous, misinformed interpretations of it that are contrary to established fact.

[​IMG]

6. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Liz,

That was a bit uncalled for.

No one here denies the resurrection. Craig has stated that he disagrees with a literal Genesis 1-11 - and he has given his reasons. They are valid and are the result of extensive study.

You do not have to agree with them - but it is wrong for you to make such statements - effectively questioning the salvation of others.

7. Charles Meadows

I will leave this as an open statement to the proponents of a literal Genesis 1-11:

I respect the faith of those who hoold to the literalist position. I do not see it as the best position - but I don't think I'm going to convince anyone here.

;)

Several observations I'll ask you to keep in mind:

1. As an old earther I do NOT doubt God or His power or His ability to do whatever He says He has done. And I resent implications that I "cannot believe" or that I "think the Bible is in error". Those are completely false.

2. There ARE numerous reasons to see Genesis 1-11 as religious epic and not intended to be a factual account. Any expert in ANE studies can vouch for this. Again I do not expect you to agree with them - but they do exist and are a valid line of argument.

8. Liz Ward

Liz Ward New Member

Charles,

Anyone who calls fellow Christians liars, wihtout offering proof, is highly suspect in my book. I have now asked Craig, twice, for the proof that creation scientists are deliberately misleading others. So far he has neither offered proof nor retracted his accusation.

Liz

9. icthus

icthus New Member

Craigbythesea, and all you guys who have got nothing better to do than to keen on questioning things about Scripture that you simply do not understand, are you actually believers in the Lord Jesus Christ, and an Infallable and Inerrant Holy Bible? I really cannot see how these pointless arguments from so-called "science" can ever said to cause one to grow closer to the Lord Jesus? Why this need to think that the Creation account in Genesis cannot be literal? Why do you dismiss the excellent work of Dr Henry Morris, who has more authority in his little finger on these issues, than all of you guys put togather. Go away and read the Genesis Flood, by Henry Morris and John C Witcombe, and then come back and tell me that what they say is incorrect. I can tell you this now, you will NEVER be able to contradict their sound scholarship. If you people really want to learn about the Truth about Genesis chapter one, then I strongly suggest that you get hold of a copy of a book by Dr Weston W Fields, "Unformed and Unfilled. The Gap Theory", in which he deals with, the days of Creation, the young earth, a detailed study of the Hebrew Grammar, etc. Stop playing the devils advocate by trying to show that you know more than God, and humble yourselves under the Holy Spirit, and learn the Truth from Him.

10. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

The earth and the universe are very old. Wake up people. You're alienating countless people from Christ simply be denying common sense.

11. Charles Meadows

Why do you dismiss the excellent work of Dr Henry Morris, who has more authority in his little finger on these issues, than all of you guys put togather?

It was written over a generation ago. His arguments on C14 dating are just not valid.

12. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Au contrere' TS, people are being alienated because "believers" don't believe.

If a Christian doesn't accept God's word as He had it written (His inerrent WORD), then why should a non-believer believe that "I am the way--", or "No man comes to the father but by me", or that the only sure option for eternity is that Jew that claimed to be GOD?

If you start doubting what is so specific and understandable, how can you, or more importantly, WHY should you believe any of the other stuff?

These very chapters that you want to allegorize, de-literalize, parabalize etc, etc, holds the key as to why all the rest of scripture IS!

13. Charles Meadows

JWP,

If you start doubting what is so specific and understandable, how can you, or more importantly, WHY should you believe any of the other stuff?

This has been answered already. The gospels were clearly written as documents of witness for Jesus' ministry and resurrection. The old earther looks at Genesis 1-11 and sees an account that was meant to glorify God above the pagan "gods" - not to give a blow by blow of actual world formation.

These very chapters that you want to allegorize, de-literalize, parabalize etc, etc, holds the key as to why all the rest of scripture IS!

De-literalize?

Who said they were literal to begin with? I would argue that the young-earther is OVERLITERALIZING these and making a stumbling block that Moses did not intend to give us!

14. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    CM, you made a statement earlier, shown below, along this same line of Moses intentions.

Therein lies the basic difference why I accept these chapters as literal, but you don't.

It's my belief that the ENTIRE bible was written by men, under the direct inspiration of GOD Himself as to what to write, and how to word it.

Therefore Moses intentions had zilch to do with what or how it was written as God had it done just exactly as He desired.

Apparently you believe that Moses just wrote a synopsis of the oral/written tradition handed down from past generations.

If you do not believe in the inerrancy of the scriptures, then I understand your position.

However, if that IS truly your belief WHY do you (assuming you do) believe the virgin birth, the resurection, water to wine, feeding of 5,000 etc, etc ad infinitum.

There are many miracles that science says can't be, but God says that were, so how do you reconcile denying part while accepting other parts( if you do accept them)?

15. Charles Meadows

If you do not believe in the inerrancy of the scriptures, then I understand your position.

I believe that scripture does not contain errors - but scripture was written (over and over) by HUMAN hands using HUMAN language (the nuances of which keep changing over time).

However, if that IS truly your belief WHY do you (assuming you do) believe the virgin birth, the resurection, water to wine, feeding of 5,000 etc, etc ad infinitum.

Because the NT is saying unquestionably that these things happened. The NT books were written specifically to witness to these things.

I think that the earliest accounts in Genesis were written in a different vain - using theological epic and not intending to be literal blow-by-blow accounts. That's perfectly consistent with ANE writing style. Remember God was writing TO THE ANCIENT HEBREWS and not just to 21st century westerners.

16. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

First off, this is a straw man. I doubt that anyone here who believes in the creation story believes it because of a SS teacher. I rejected Christianity in high school and did not believe in the creation story until after I became a Christian in late 1990, beaucoodles of years after high school.

When you say we should not assume Moses got the creation story right, are you saying that the account in Genesis is not from God?

17. Craigbythesea

Neither John C. Whitcomb nor Henry Morris had ANY formal training in the biological sciences. Had they simply studied the very basics of genetics and ecology, they would have known for an absolute, undeniable fact the Gen. 6-8 is not and could not possibly be a literal account of an historic event. Indeed, John Whitcomb has no formal education at all in the sciences and was no more qualified to write about the Genesis flood than Fred Flintstone. His B.A. degree was in ancient and European history. His master’s degree and his doctorate were both in theology and are VERY old degrees (he completed his doctorate in 1957). Christians who are totally lacking in the necessary education to write on technical subjects have no business writing on them. John C. Whitcomb and Henry Morris have made a laughing stock out of God, his word, and the Christian faith, and anyone who has gone to the trouble to study the subject for them self knows that.

Dr. Charles Meadows and I are both eminently more qualified to write on Genesis 6-8 than either Whitcomb or Morris, and that is a simple fact.

[​IMG]

18. Craigbythesea

Liz Ward wrote,

Whether or not the creationists at AIG or the ICR are “fellow Christians” I do not know, but in other threads they have been extensively quoted by name making false statements about themselves, their data, the data collected by others, etc. These extensive and very numerous quotes were totally ignored by the fundamentalist extremists on this message board and no purpose was served by posting them. If you honestly want to know the truth about this matter, you are perfectly free to search out these threads and read them for yourself.

In the academic world, creation “scientists” are universally known to be liars, fools, or something much worse. True scientists want to know the truth and they spend their lives in pursuit of it. Creation “scientists” spend their lives looking for ways to deceive themselves and their reading public. Have you ever heard of one single creationist who was an agnostic without any theological assumptions to prove?

I am not asking anyone to take my word for anything, like the creation “scientists” do; I am asking my readers to honestly and prayerfully study these matters from both sides.

[​IMG]

19. Craigbythesea

Marcia wrote,

I sincerely hope that you are not serious here. Are you not familiar with the literary device that I am using in this post? I sometimes wonder if anyone on this message board, other than Charles Meadows and I, have studied the interpretation of literature.

I am saying that we need to evaluate and interpret Gen. 1-11 without the encumbrances of preconceptions that may lead to wrong conclusions.

[​IMG]

20. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

That is nonsensical reasoning. First Genesis 1 is not prophecy, it is history. Second, Genesis 1 says nothing about the age of the earth. That was Bishop Ussher.