1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Creation Science Course

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Bob Dudley, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Bob Dudley

Bob Dudley New Member

I've been asked to teach a class on Creation Science at Washington Bible College. Anyone have any thoughts on good books to use or (even better) lecture notes? Thanks in advance.

2. Danny Hurley

Danny Hurley New Member

You could ask this question.

If adam and all the animals, and the trees could have been exaimed by a scientific process wonder how old they would have been the day God made them?

#2 Danny Hurley, Mar 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2008
  3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

4. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is one of my favorite questions that has never received a satisfactory answer yet.

If the bones of Adam were found, and it could be proven that it was Adam (ridiculous, I know - humor me), and forensics determined his age at death, what do you suppose that age would be?

Based on today's standards, IMHO, it would be reasonable to dictate an age of 70-100 possibly. This based on the "medical" evidence of most men that age who have died.

Any scientist who said that the age of this man was pushing 1 millenium (900+ IIRC) would probably be laughed out of his lab and never allowed in again.

They would probably never consider that this was close to perfection in the gene pool, probably much less cosmic radiation to mess up said genes, and other considerations that I can't think of now.

Lots of interesting, but unanswered questions ----!

5. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Is this an apologetics-type class? Or a real 'science' class?
    Heaven help you (if it is supposed to be a blend of the two) to choose what to cover and what to skip!

6. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

The reason I ask this is because a real scientist in debate seems ultimately to end up discussing the age of the stars and the layman discussing the intricacies of organisms.

A science class, on the other hand, would follow a Bible Chronology, and be backed-up by materials from ICR, or another creation science institution.

A wonderful little resource for either one is the book 'Universe by Design,' by Dr. Danny Faulkner, MasterBooks Box 726 Green Forest, AR, 72638 ISBN 0-89051-415-1

God Speed,

R1

7. Bob Dudley

Bob Dudley New Member

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Here's what the catalog says (this is my only guidence on what I have to teach):
    This course is designed to help the Bible college student understand the scientific basis for special creation and how it affirms the scriptural account of creation. It will critically examine and compare both evolution and special creation from a purely scientific point of view. It will discuss the evidence from the various sciences that relate to origins including biology, geology, physics, chemistry, and astronomy.

My personal background is:
    MA Biblical Studies
    MS Astronautical Engineering
    BS Aerospace Engineering
    BS Physics

I've checked the ICR and AIG websites but, without actually buying each of their books and reading them, I can't tell which would be good for a college level class. Therefore, the reason I am asking all you'll for help.

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my opinion no class on creationism would be complete with out Dr. Henry Morris's book "The Genesis Record". I would say that is a standard textbook/commentary. Another good resource by the same author is "The Genesis Flood". You might also want to require "The Battle For The Beginning" by John MacArthur. It is not a textbook but it does provide a good introduction to the topic.

If you want to provide your students with different points of view within the evangelical community you might look at Dr. Hugh Ross's writings.

You may also want to locate various articles by top scientists who believe in creationism. Since you have a strong science background you should not have much trouble finding such articles.

I hope that helps.

9. Bob Dudley

Bob Dudley New Member

That helps a lot, Martin. Thanks.

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't help with lecture notes. When I write lectures I usually:

1. Read/study so I know the material I need to cover.

2. Then I outline what I think is important enough to mention (etc).

3. Then I write out a somewhat detailed outline with quotes and things that I may wish to use in class. I don't read from the notes in class, that would be boring, but I use them to keep me on track (and in case I forget something).

4. I also make extensive use of powerpoints. Pictures, outlines, quotes, dates, and things like that work well with powerpoint.

Sometimes its hard to come up with lecture notes the first time. I know. Right now one of the courses I am teaching is American History II. That is totally out of my field of study. So preparing lectures (etc) has been very time consuming.

11. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The course description is quite limiting.
    I personally believe that college-aged students should be taught to think critically.
    This simply looks like a course on the scientific evidences supporting special creation...... BORING!!!

IMHO, special creation is inherently unscientific; it assumes an outcome and attempts to find evidence to support it.
    Would it be too presumptive to offer a number of alternative creation theories?

If not you might check out Douglas Kelly’s Creation and Change (1997).
    Critically evaluate his evidences and have the students critique them.

Another angle you might try is to present basic Intelligent Design theory.

Although quite dated now, you might use Behl’s, “Darwin’s Black Box” and/or Johnson’s, “Darwin on Trial”.

Rob

12. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Next you could teach on the four elements...earth, air, fire, and water. Forget that periodic table stuff...purely anti-god secular science.

13. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

Hello Bob,

One of my old profs, Del Ratzsch, has written a couple helpful books on philosophy of science and the creation/evolution debates; I found both of these books to be helpful. They are called "Science and Its Limits" and "The Battle of Beginnings" respectively, both published by IVP. You could also e-mail him for more resources since this is one of his research interests. He currently teaches at Calvin College.

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is impossible to think critically unless you have a true foundation that stands. If your foundation is a lie any critical thinking which follows is based on a lie.

15. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

"Thousands, Not millions" by Don Deyoung. It is a summary of the recent "RATE" study that the Scientists at ICR have recently completed. It was required reading with the 33 hour certificate program that I took with them, and out of all the books, it was the most compelling, and the most recent. It demonstrates, through scientific experiments conducted, the completely erroneous idea of "Radiometric" dating techniques and stratigraphy.

The other one I would reccomend, is "Starlight and Time", by Russel Humphreys. It demonstrates how it is possible to have a young earth, yet have a universe that appears old. Interestingly, in the last couple of years, some secular scientists have latched onto and modified his theory.

In any case, I wish you the Best!

Damon Rambo

16. Bob Dudley

Bob Dudley New Member

thanks, Havensdad. I look into those two books.

17. Siberian

Siberian New Member

Creation Materials

I just watched a great DVD on creation called, Unlocking the Mystery of Life. It is basically cell-level support for the intelligent design argument. It would probably be good for a Bible-college level class.

18. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Creation

The phrase "Creation Science" is an oxymoron. The Bible is not a science book and science books are not the Bible. The Bible tells us why God did something, science tries to explain how it was done.

19. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Same old mindless liberal dribble I heard from my illustrious theology seminary professor.

20. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rofl

And the same old fundamentalist impolite sentence. Why not try a rational discussion?

To me, and no I am not a professor, your sentence with its implied meaning shows a great lack of faith in God and in how God deals with the world.

Why?

Because God must fit into your own understanding. God is much bigger than any or us understand or will ever understand.

I see this and my first quote as a very fundamental statement and your response a liberal one as you are attempting to make the Bible into something God never intended it to be. Sorry, but on this topic I see you as the liberal as you are trying to fit God into the box of your own understanding. I leave the 'box' open so God and teach me and give me deeper understandings into this marvelous world and universe He created.

#20 Crabtownboy, Mar 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2008