1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Creation Science Course

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Bob Dudley, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

The Bible is not a science book, yet as the Word of God, the issues it speaks on is 100 percent accurate. Usually, the bible does not just tell us God did it, it tells us HOW he did it.

Creationism is just as scientific as what is found in secular classrooms. Most Biology and Geology classes are in reality a class on the Religion of Atheisitic Darwinian Evolution.

Science is testable and repeatable. Since both Darwinian evolution (including Geography, stratigraphy, and Radiometric dating techniques) and creationism are based on beliefs, neither are truly science.

However, since the Atheists are shoving there beliefs don our childrens throats, it behooves us to fight back with Science.

Thi is not the approprate place for a debate however. This is a fellowship thread.

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really?

I would not want a surgeon operating on me, or a dentist filling my teeth, or a vet working on my pets, or an accountant keeping my books, or an astronomer teaching me if the only book they had used in their studies was the Bible. The Bible is THE book in pointing us to God and in telling us why He did various things, but it is not the textbook for scientific study. I would like each of these individuals to believe in the Bible and follow its teachings in how they treat others.

Not all who believe that God used evolution to bring the world to what it is now are athiests. That is simply too broad a paint brush to use.:tonofbricks:

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Amen, Crabtowncowboy! :applause:

4. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Meanwhile, back at the ranch,

Crabtownkid, what books do you recomend to use in a college classroom, etc. etc? Or would you like to go start your own thread somewhere...

5. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What subject? :thumbs:

6. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Anyone with a background in Science (Biology and Geology, primarily) AND are Conversant on the Bible, know that evolution and the Bible are incompatible. Evolutionary religious "science" is based on the presupposition that there is no God. Someone may try to mesh the two, but in reality what they are doing is creating a deistic type of God, not the God revealed in scripture.

If you can't trust God's word in Genesis, what keeps us from allegorizing the resurrection. Either we can trust all of it, or there is no reason to trust any of it. The Bible is 100 percent accurate in every single word.

My Pastor has a degree in Biology. I have a moderate background in Physics. (I am now working on a Masters). I tell you, they have nothing.

As I said, this is not a debate. If you wish to debate, take it to a debate thread.

7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

What I hear you saying is that you will take science' word over what the Bible says. If science contradicts the Bible then you take science' word first. You interpret the Bible using science. I do it the other way around. The Bible comes first, then science. If science directly contradicts the Bible, no matter how supposedly compelling the science may be, I believe what the Bible says. The Bible defines reality first before science does. Oh, and I've been called much worse things than a liberal. But, your reasoning for calling me one is very clever. :sleeping_2:

8. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good reply!

Either you take God at his word, or you take man (science) at his word. If there is a contradiction, well, you have to choose.

And it's obvious that many choose the latter.

That's fine with me, but I do object to it being taught as FACT and not theory.

Creationists and evolutionists see the same EVIDENCE, but they interpret it vastly differently; each is nothing more than a belief system - the Bible as written, or science.

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you are misunderstanding the purpose of the course. The course Mr. Dudley will be teaching is a Bible college course meant to help the Bible college "student understand the scientific basis for special creation and how it affirms the scriptural account of creation". That involves looking at what the Bible says and how science backs that up. You have to keep the context of the course in mind. It is not a university science course or anything like that. It is a Bible college class for future preachers and missionaries. A detailed science course would probably go over their heads.

As for the Bible not being a science textbook, well this is not the forum to debate that. This is a college/seminary forum where we discuss colleges (etc). There are other boards for theological debate. Having said that, however, I would not attend a seminary or Bible college that tried to seperate Scripture for any aspect of creation.

10. mjohnson7

mjohnson7 Member

Liberty's Creation Science Course

Liberty University used to require a creation science course that was very similar to what you are describing (it was a Gen. Ed. requirement for every BA/BS. We used one of Dr Henry Morris' books from ICR, which has been mentioned already. However, refering to Liberty's catalog and contacting one of the instructors might be of help.

-Matt

11. Broadus

Broadus Member

Dr. Kurt Wise

Bob,

I suggest you contact Dr. Kurt Wise, Professor of Science and Theology and Director, Center for Science and Theology at the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. He's a six-day creationist with a PhD from Harvard.

Best,
    Bill