1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Creationism vs. Evolution - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by bound, Jan 14, 2008.

1. bound

bound New Member

I'm interested in your views on Creationism vs. Evolution...

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Have you by any chance done a search? There is a lot of good reading that has already been posted on both sides - not to discourage any of the new folks by any means from having at it. ;)

3. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

You think Mary and the RCC is a hot button…stay tuned…

As for me, I believe just as the Creed says, God created the heavens and the earth and all things visible and invisible…all the details, I’ll let the theologians debate. But then again, I do have thoughts, but I’ll wait…

ICXC NIKA
    -

4. bound

bound New Member

Hello Guys,

I guess what I was interested in is are there theologians who have created a synthesis between what science 'can' confirm (i.e. an old earth) and the Scriptural testimony?

Thanks.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Check out the bottom of the forum home page where the archives are. There's a whole section on Creation vs. Evolution and has a lot of great info.

As for me, the Bible says what it says and I go with that. I'd trust the God who created everything over what fallable man has decided. :)

6. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Evolution is only theory, not fact. And it constantly changes. God's Word never changes.

love,

Sopranette

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A great site that has a lot of technical information is done by our very own Helen and her husband Barry. You can see it at www.setterfield.org Check it out!

8. bound

bound New Member

I'm not so much interested in any 'one' theory of Evolution but recognizing the hard evidence which leads us to recognizing the earth as old. I don't have to agree how it all happened by the facts seem to suggest to me that the earth is old.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, the "hard evidence" that the earth is old is questionable.

10. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

There are those, however, that will jump in with some of what they feel is "evidence." I'm not one of them though. I'm a young-earther.

Bound, if you look at those old threads, you will find what you are looking for.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is it questionable to think Adam looked like a man being only a day old? ;)

I believe God can (and did) create with age already built in. If a 30 something man and woman can be only mere hours old...then a 2 trillion year old earth can be 6000 years old.

12. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You might be on to something. I'll have to think about that.

I too am a young-earther. I believe in the 6 literal 24 hour days of creation. I believe that the earth is somewhere around 6-8,000 years old. It just might be that God created the earth with the age built in. Yep, I'll have to think this over (and it sure hurts to think today!!).

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Could be....could be (need a little smilie with his finger tapping his cheek - Hmmmmm)

14. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

The main "evidence" for an old earth is the apparent distance of the stars. However, there has been recent research ni to the affects of gravity and other invisible forces on light and the possibility that light travels (not necessarily faster, but) on a kind of warp. We know that light can change speeds, and since the percentage of space explaored beyond our solar system is 1/1000(not enough space for all the zeros)0000..., there is more than enough probability that unknown forces are there that is is preposterous to propose that all natural laws behave the same on earth as in space.

15. North Carolina Tentmaker

There is lots of interesting reading on this subject. One of my favorite websites dealing with quesions of the earth's age is

http://www.s8int.com/

They bill themselves as

I think they have a lot of good information. ​

We can argue evidence all day long and in the end it still becomes a matter of faith. I believe in an omnipotent God who could have created the world yeasterday if he wanted to, complete with fossile fuels, river canyons, and you and me with memories of years that never really happened. So I agree with Webdog. On day one the earth probably looked millions of years old, had tall trees, and if you cut one of those trees down I believe you would have found rings in it. You could have counted the rings and decided the tree was 100 years old, but it wasn't.

Personally I believe most of the 'evidence' for the old earth is just mis understood evidence of the world wide flood. But that just me.​

16. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This theory is known as Omphalism

17. MustardSeed

MustardSeed New Member

I believe that this impasse is the result of certain members of the scientific community seeking to usurp the moral authority of the Church using any means they can. They will attack every facet of out religion, from Genesis to Revelations. Next decade they'll be attacking another Biblical aspect.

18. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Creationism -- good science
    Creationism -- correct

Evolutionism - junk science
    Evolutionism - wrong

Also - Creationism is the teaching of the Bible and is the foundation for the Gospel.

in Christ,

Bob

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And by 2 trillion you mean 4 billion right?

You are correct that to have a stable functioning biosphere -- a true living planet -- in 7 literal days the plants can't all be "still in the ground as seeds" and the animals can't be rolling around as a collection of "zygotes".

God had to create a mature functioning systems at all levels to complete it in 7 days and have the entire system be viable. And that means the earth's crust needed a certain level of radioactive activity from the start for living organisms to survive. The atmosphere had to be breathable and healthy. The geomagnetic fields had to be sufficient to protect the living organisms -- etc etc etc.

in Christ,

bob

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Earth is not old according to the radiometric science looking at Palonium Radio halos in basement rock or sedimentation rates of river deltas or micro meteor dust collection rates on the moon etc.

The earth (as in the rocks) is old if you make "assumptions" about the starting content of the rocks when formed in terms of amounts of daughter product at the first stages of Rock formation.

in Christ,

Bob