1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Creationism vs. Evolution - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by bound, Jan 14, 2008.

1. James Flagg

James Flagg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hehe, yeah brother. I, and billions of others have "thoughts" on this subject. :smilewinkgrin:

You'll mostly hear the same stuff over and over and over and over and over again.

"Evolution is only a theory"
    "A theory is the endpoint of the scientific method, and is not synonymous with the colloquial use. Heliocentric and electromagnetic 'theory', for example".

One thing I have noticed, sadly, is that Creationism is given short shrift outside of the Fundamentalist Christian subculture.

2. James Flagg

James Flagg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With all due respect, this isn't a valid criticism of any science. It's like saying, "The science of medicine is constantly changing."

Darn right it is, any science had better "keep changing" all the time, otherwise is ceases being science and becomes dogma. Only religions have this luxury.

3. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You may be right, but what qualifications do you have to differentiate between good science and junk science?

Do you review scientific papers for a living?
    Have you ever submitted a paper to a peer-reviewed scientific journal?
    Do you understand the peer-review process?
    Do you understand the difference in the review process between being published in a reputable journal versus being published in journals with poor reputations?
    Have you read peer reviewed scientific articles to evaluate their scientific quality?

Maybe you have done all these things and we should respect your view of scientific quality. Or maybe you have done none of these and simply pick and choose "science" that agrees with your view and call it "good science".

4. James Flagg

James Flagg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

My money is on this option.

5. JustPassingThru

Site Supporter

I dare say few of us have the qualifications to judge the goodness of science. But none of that concerns me, and I wonder why these discussions have to turn at all disagreeable.

I believe God reveals His nature to us through both His Word and His creation. When they seem to disagree, we have misunderstood one or both of His revelations. There is not -- and probably cannot be -- any agreement on who has misunderstood what. So what? That doesn't make God less real, or His plan for our lives less relevant.

I simply fail to see why we have to fight this battle.

6. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Respect noted and apreciated. However, I do not consider my views on this subject to be dogma. It is the Living Truth. Truth never changes.

love,

Sopranette

7. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #27 Gold Dragon, Jan 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2008
  8. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Definitely. I totally agree with your view and plan to keep my disagreements agreeable in attitude. :thumbs:

#28 Gold Dragon, Jan 15, 2008
  9. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I've heard science described once as a dance of seven veils, only with an unknown number of veils to pull away, and the ultimate Truth is at it's core. We may never reach that ultimate Truth through science.

love,

Sopranette

10. James Flagg

James Flagg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've met plenty of Christians who would agree with you and absolutely could not care less about C vs. E.

We all pick our battles, and for some this is a big one.

11. James Flagg

James Flagg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is (used to be?) an Old Earth Creationist named Hugh Ross whom you might want to read up on.

I don't know anything about him other than he believed in a 4 billion+ y/o earth and (at least attempted) to reconcile that with Genesis.

12. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Creation studies are "good science" - evolutionism is "junk science"

Isaac Aimov (NOT a fundamentalist Christian - but a stellar atheist icon for evolutionists to follow) admits that the "storytelling" of molecule to human brain evolutionism requires the assumption of a "MASSIVE DECREASE in entropy" contrary to ALL evidence in science

Appollo 16 science experiments SHOW an oxygen rich source for our early atmosphere CONTRARY to what "evolutionism NEEDED".

Atheist Darwinist Heckel: Heckle's "Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny" argument used fraudulent artifacts and illustrations to make his point -- (Note fraud is the "norm" in junk sciences like evolutionism).

Simpson's smooth transitional form horse series was SHOWN to be a contrived fraud though it lingers in some text books as if it was valid science. "Fraud is the norm for junk science"

All of these frauds and gaps between the beliefs of evolutionists and the facts of science are admitted today by atheist darwinist evolutionists!

So why are some Christians soooo slow to come around on this? As if the Bible is causing them to "believe in evolutionism no matter what the facts in science"??

Abiogenesis is still nothing more than junk science if one is looking to actual lab experiments - nothing of the kind has ever been shown to be scientifically 'viable' yet believers in evolutionism - must believe in it "anyway" .

If evolutionists must rely so heavily on faith OVER good science -- why not become Christian and have the best of BOTH?

in Christ,

Bob

#32 BobRyan, Jan 15, 2008
  13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hugh is a good example of an evolutionist that admits to the clear facts of intelligent design.

Atheist Darwinists like to "imagine" that that is in fact "creationism" -- it is not as every Bible believing Christian knows. It is just a pejorative way for atheist darwinists to refer to evolutionists that admit to intelligent design because in so doing - those ID evolutionists are undermining atheism (but NOT evolutionism).

#33 BobRyan, Jan 15, 2008
  14. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I guess your answer to my questions is no.

And if I showed you the context of the above 4 quotes and situations would you be open to considering that you were wrong about those 4 situations?

15. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Are you sure? The last I checked, Hugh considers himself to be a Creationist--he just doesn't believe the world is only a few thousand years old.

As for my opinion, I believe in creation (obviously), but I'm not dogmatic either way about how (or young) old the earth is. I do believe that Adam was a literal historical figure--as was Noah, Abraham etc--and (without debating the scope or the particular logistics) that the Fall, the Flood, and the Tower of Babel were all basically historical events. (Edit: I also believe that micro-evolution and some speciation have occurred)

#35 Doubting Thomas, Jan 15, 2008
  16. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thanks for the reminder. I forgot about the Intelligent Design view in my list.

I do not think Hugh Ross would be appropriately classified as an ID proponent. He self-describes as being a progressive creationist who does not believe in evolution.

I also do not understand the term "ID evolutionist" since ID proponents also do not believe in evolution.

#36 Gold Dragon, Jan 15, 2008
  17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    ID proponants like BeHe, Johnson and others calling themselves theistic evolutionists and promoting ID DO believe firmly in evolutionism.

Atheist Darwinists object to that very strongly and have urged that the courts discount it because the ID proponants happen to be Christians that do not present a completely "natural" explanation for origins.

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My understanding is that Does not believe in a literal 7 day creation week for creating LIFE or for creating the Geology of earth.

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is a better definition of Hugh Ross's (evolutionism helped by God when it get's into transitional form trouble over the billions of years)--

http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2002/0821ross.asp

It is Stephen J Gould's "Punctuated equillibrium" argument with God stepping in between the punctuations.

#39 BobRyan, Jan 15, 2008
  20. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

I think religious objections, arguments over religion, and anti-Christian propaganda are all irrelevant to the issue. Religion has nothing to do with the most serious defect of evolution.

Secular scientists need to stop pretending like objecting to evolution is a `religious war against knowledge.' It is not. The scientific method was designed to be a tool for studying the truth of nature without an ulterior agenda or bias. Secular scientists who claim to revere the scientific method need to be professionals, and use it rightly and responsibly.

Secular science needs something more credible than a theory that human beings are heavily-mutated apes. It has long been time for secular scientists to `go back to the drawing board' for a genuinely credible theory of human origins.

#40 Darron Steele, Jan 15, 2008