1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Creationism - Why it is valid.

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by kendemyer, Feb 4, 2004.

1. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still don't get it, do you UTEOTW? Some of us here don't require "PROOF", as God has already told us in His word How It Was Done!---"God said, let there be------, and it was good!" [​IMG]

You need to take this up with God, since He is the author of subject works. [​IMG]

Also, your "evidence" etc. means little to me since I have no earthly idea what you are talking about, and when it spans the equivelent of about 10 normal posts, I never completely read yours or the others that are so long.

Let me be very clear here, in that I am disputing your claims ONLY, I repeat ONLY because God has given the answer! Were it not for that fact, I would have absolutely no dog in this fight. So please don't dismiss my stance as just ignorance & not understanding your epistles.

Therefore if you choose to believe in evolution, and a billions of years old earth, fine; that's your perogative. All I'm asking is the same right to believe in creation, pure and simple, just as God has revealed it to us, no more, no less.

When we finally meet the Master, should I find out that I'm wrong, I'll personally look you up and apologise; fair enough??!!
    [​IMG]

2. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

Fair enough. ;)

I do not dispute you right to believe what you will. I may disagree with it. And I may enjoy the debate when the subject comes up. But you are free to believe as you will and I do not criticize that. I am just glad to have you as a fellow Christian and Baptist. And we can agree to disagree on this topic. I am sure there is much we would agree on if we were to go down a list of various topics.

Have a good weekend! [​IMG]

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks (a little late)

I'm at my son's house to help keep my 2 yr old G-daughter while he & his wife are getting ready to bring home a new valentine (by 8 minutes) baby boy; [​IMG]

Needless to say, it's been a great weekend!

So I have found, when telling the devil to "take a hike", and we can talk about the points of commonality rather than the differences!!

Just as my monicker indicates, I long for and look forward to that day when HE is the supreme, unchallenged ruler, and dissentions, quarrels, hurts, etc are NO LONGER!!

MARANATHA, & God bless! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. kendemyer

kendemyer New Member

Dear Readers:

I realize that is extra Biblical support for the creationist position. Paul says in a letter to Timothy that it was Adam was created first. Paul definitely seems to be accepting the position that Eve came from Adams rib and in so doing Paul fully endorsing the Genesis account. Peter says Paul's letters are Scripture.

Sincerely,

Ken DeMyer

5. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

Ken

Any desire to repudiate any of your quotes? I was thinking specifically of the ones from Dr. Colin Patterson, Niles Eldredge & Ian Tattersall, or Mark Ridley. Or do you stand by the quotes even with the context added?

6. kendemyer

kendemyer New Member

Dear UTEOTW:

I believe that some context in applying quotes is warranted. For example, the Bible says, "...there is no God." in Psalms. I think most Bible scholars will recognize the fact that the Bible says, "The fool in his heart says there is no God." I dislike quotes with partial sentences particularly and it is always a red flag to me when I see this.

On the other hand, I have no problem quoting opposition quotes on points we agree on and leaving out sentences we disagree on in certain cases. For example, I clearly said the one gentleman was a evolutionist and his opinion regarding the fossil record (he really does not use it and I am paraphrasing). I see no point in fully airing the oppositions views especially when they are in rebellion to God's word. I short, I am not going to put in whole pages in my quotes. I will make the central point with the quote and move on.

I have thought about it a more and it would be helpful if the readers knew that Patterson, Eldridge, and Tattersoll were evolutionists. I have decided to change my website info in this regard. Even so, I think the macroevolutionary position is often though not always more of an excuse to not follow God. I also think that many have not researched the matter adequately or it is ill thought out.

Lastly, I would say that you have alluded to the macroevolutionary position being incompatible to the Bible and its theology in your response to Todd. I do not know why you cling to this hypothesis. I think you should pray about it.

I have no further commentary on this.

Sincerely,

Ken

[ February 16, 2004, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: kendemyer ]

7. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

I honestly cannot believe what you are saying. You have quotes that in context have the exact opposite meaning of the way you have them quoted. Now, I do not believe that you have read the source material so the blame for the original misquoting belongs somewhere else. But I find it astonishing that when presented with the context you still assert that the quotes are valid. The context makes all the difference. To be presented with the context and still refuse to renounce an obvious and deliberate deception is inconceivable. The ends do not justify the means. Amazing!

I am not sure where you think that I alluded to me believing that scripture and evolution are incompatible. Let me state clearly that I do not think that scripture and evolution are incompatible nor do I think it introduces error into the Bible.

8. kendemyer

kendemyer New Member

To: UTEOTW

I am familar with Patterson. He is honest enough to say there are no clear cut cases for transitional fossils. I realize he has taken a lot of flack regarding this (see the five Museum officials letter which quotes Patterson). I realize the other gentlemen who made comments regarding the fossil record in all probability profess the hypothesis of punctuated equilibrium which is nothing more than a fairy tale in terms of the biology (even the neo-darwinist agree with me on this). So I think your lack of context complaints are overblown.

Secondly, you can try to shoehorn Darwin into Genesis but I am not buying it. Especially since Eve came from Adam's rib according to the Word of God. Also, the macroevolutionary hypothesis even if true, which it is not, would cause untold suffering. I believe and rightly so that sin is what caused suffering and not God.

Thirdly, you seem to assert that creationist are dishonest yet a "evolutionist prophet" said of his own the following:

"So heated is the debate that one Darwinian says there are times when he thinks about going into a field with more intellectual honesty: the used-car business."
    -Sharon Begley, "Science Contra Darwin," Newsweek, April 8, 1985, p. 80.

Fourthly, you seem to assert that I am censoring evolutionists by not fully airing their views which I believe are against the Word of God. Considering that theistic evolutionist like Behe are censored spuriously and kept out of the non-creationist science journals and considering the fact that that evolutionists are no longer widely debating like they used to (they got tired of losing) I see this censorship complaint as being very amusing. I find it especially amusing since the evolutionist consider their hypothesis so sacrosanct that criticisms of it are not even allowed in the schools often times.

Sincerely,

Ken

[ February 17, 2004, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: kendemyer ]

9. kendemyer

kendemyer New Member

my initial post was posted twice

10. kendemyer

kendemyer New Member

this was a accidental triple post of same message

11. kendemyer

kendemyer New Member

To UTEOTW:

Re: Dr. Patterson:

Please consider this information taken from the Answers in Genesis site in regards to Patterson:

Those Fossils are a problem!

Are there any Transitional Fossils?
    NONE of the five museum officials whom Luther Sunderland interviewed could offer a single example of a transitional series of fossilized organisms that would document the transformation of one basically different type to another.

Dr Eldredge [curator of invertebrate palaeontology at the American Museum] said that the categories of families and above could not be connected, while Dr Raup [curator of geology at the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago] said that a dozen or so large groups could not be connected with each other. But Dr Patterson [a senior palaeontologist and editor of a prestigious journal at the British Museum of Natural History] spoke most freely about the absence of transitional forms.

Before interviewing Dr Patterson, the author read his book, Evolution, which he had written for the British Museum of Natural History. In it he had solicited comments from readers about the book's contents. One reader wrote a letter to Dr Patterson asking why he did not put a single photograph of a transitional fossil in his book. On April 10, 1979, he replied to the author in a most candid letter as follows:

'. .. I fully agree with your comments on the lack of direct illustration of evolutionary transitions in my book. If I knew of any, fossil or living, I would certainly have included them. You suggest that an artist should be used to visualise such transformations, but where would he get the information from? I could not, honestly, provide it, and if I were to leave it to artistic licence, would that not mislead the reader?
    'I wrote the text of my book four years ago. If I were to write it now, I think the book would be rather different. Gradualism is a concept I believe in, not just because of Darwin's authority, but because my understanding of genetics seems to demand it. Yet Gould and the American Museum people are hard to contradict when they say there are no transitional fossils. As a palaeontologist myself, I am much occupied with the philosophical problems of identifying ancestral forms in the fossil record. You say that I should at least "show a photo of the fossil from which each type of organism was derived." I will lay it on the line- there is not one such fossil for which one could make a watertight argument. The reason is that statements about ancestry and descent are not applicable in the fossil record. Is Archaeopteryx the ancestor of all birds? Perhaps yes, perhaps no there is no way of answering the question. It is easy enough to make up stories of how one form gave rise to another, and to find reasons why the stages should be favoured by natural selection. But such stories are not part of science, for there is no way of putting them to the test. 'So, much as I should like to oblige you by jumping to the defence of gradualism, and fleshing out the transitions between the major types of animals and plants, I find myself a bit short of the intellectual justification necessary for the job . . .'

[Ref: Patterson, personal communication. Documented in Darwin's Enigma, Luther Sunderland, Master Books, El Cajon, CA, 1988, pp. 88-90.]"

taken from: http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/3076.asp

12. kendemyer

kendemyer New Member

Re: Patterson

Please consider the following information which I obtained via the Answwers in Genesis website:

Those Fossils are a problem!

NONE of the five museum officials whom Luther Sunderland interviewed could offer a single example of a transitional series of fossilized organisms that would document the transformation of one basically different type to another.

Dr Eldredge [curator of invertebrate palaeontology at the American Museum] said that the categories of families and above could not be connected, while Dr Raup [curator of geology at the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago] said that a dozen or so large groups could not be connected with each other. But Dr Patterson [a senior palaeontologist and editor of a prestigious journal at the British Museum of Natural History] spoke most freely about the absence of transitional forms.

Before interviewing Dr Patterson, the author read his book, Evolution, which he had written for the British Museum of Natural History. In it he had solicited comments from readers about the book's contents. One reader wrote a letter to Dr Patterson asking why he did not put a single photograph of a transitional fossil in his book. On April 10, 1979, he replied to the author in a most candid letter as follows:

'. .. I fully agree with your comments on the lack of direct illustration of evolutionary transitions in my book. If I knew of any, fossil or living, I would certainly have included them. You suggest that an artist should be used to visualise such transformations, but where would he get the information from? I could not, honestly, provide it, and if I were to leave it to artistic licence, would that not mislead the reader?
    'I wrote the text of my book four years ago. If I were to write it now, I think the book would be rather different. Gradualism is a concept I believe in, not just because of Darwin's authority, but because my understanding of genetics seems to demand it. Yet Gould and the American Museum people are hard to contradict when they say there are no transitional fossils. As a palaeontologist myself, I am much occupied with the philosophical problems of identifying ancestral forms in the fossil record. You say that I should at least "show a photo of the fossil from which each type of organism was derived." I will lay it on the line- there is not one such fossil for which one could make a watertight argument. The reason is that statements about ancestry and descent are not applicable in the fossil record. Is Archaeopteryx the ancestor of all birds? Perhaps yes, perhaps no there is no way of answering the question. It is easy enough to make up stories of how one form gave rise to another, and to find reasons why the stages should be favoured by natural selection. But such stories are not part of science, for there is no way of putting them to the test. 'So, much as I should like to oblige you by jumping to the defence of gradualism, and fleshing out the transitions between the major types of animals and plants, I find myself a bit short of the intellectual justification necessary for the job . . .'

[Ref: Patterson, personal communication. Documented in Darwin's Enigma, Luther Sunderland, Master Books, El Cajon, CA, 1988, pp. 88-90.]"

13. kendemyer

kendemyer New Member

Dear UTEOTW:

Re: Patterson

Please consider this information taken from the following website address http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/3076.asp :

"Those Fossils are a problem!

14. kendemyer

kendemyer New Member

Dear UTEOTW:

Regarding Dr. Patterson:

Please consider the information taken from the website www.answersingenesis.org:

taken from:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/3076.asp

15. kendemyer

kendemyer New Member

Please consider the following information regarding Dr. Patterson:

16. kendemyer

kendemyer New Member

17. kendemyer

kendemyer New Member

18. kendemyer

kendemyer New Member

To UTEOTW:

Consider the following information in regards to Dr. Patterson:

taken from:

19. kendemyer

kendemyer New Member

To UTEOTW:

Consider the following information in regards to Dr. Patterson:

taken from:

20. kendemyer

kendemyer New Member

Consider this information regarding Dr. Patterson:

taken from: