1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Credit Card Fees Up Gas Prices

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by donnA, Jul 9, 2008.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=5338007&page=1

Not just credit cards, but if you use a debit card like we do they will also charge more for gas. This is one of the costs of running a business, what next pay for their electric bill because the pump is electric. I do not ever shop at a business I know charges extra if I use my card.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've never seen a store charge more than the price listed at the pump. I did notice when I traveling on business yesterday that a store offered $.03 per gallon less if paid for with cash.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but...

Every business that takes credit cards charges you a fee in the basic price for the product you buy.

Credit cards are so prevalent that it's just considered a cost of doing business.

You even pay it when you pay cash since the vast majority of retail stores do not give a "cash" discount. Most, including fuel outlets, are not allowed to give you a cash discount.

Even if you wish to consider the debit card the same as cash, it does you no good.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw a fuel outlet that did so yesterday.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So? :tonofbricks:

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

I will not spend money in any store who charges an additional fee for use of the debit card.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're going to have a hard time buying anything at all, then.

You might find this article informative.

http://banking.about.com/od/checkingaccounts/a/debitvscredit.htm

But it only address the processing fees. It doesn't mention the card fees built into almost every item you purchase anywhere, as just the cost of doing business.

#7 carpro, Jul 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2008
  8. donnA

donnA Active Member

No I don't have a hard time buying enaywhere, all costs of operating a business are included in the price of an item. But you keep twisting my words, and adding to them what isn't there. I said I will not shop places that have an additional fee for using a card. As in use your card and we're going to charge you an additional $.50, as the cost is already built into the price of the item, but they want even more.
    Next time, get it straight what I am saying.

9. billwald

billwald New Member

ARCO has charged extra for years. American Express/COSTCO kicks back 2% on fuel purchases.

10. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

From the article:
    But increased profit from credit card customers is not the only reason to raise prices for those who pay with plastic. As more people use cash to save at the pump, they are forced to come inside the store to pay, which creates another opportunity for the gas station owner.

"Because while you're in there, you're going to also pick up a coffee, a soda, maybe even a sandwich," Mount said.

I've always said that "pay at the pump" is a convenience that I appreciate, but from a business standpoint, it was probably the dumbest idea ever implemented by the industry. I wonder how much money they (convenience stores) have lost over the years by allowing customers to pay at the pump instead of coming into the store, where more than likely they would have bought something else in addition to the gas.

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll try.

If you'll try a little harder to make your meaning clear.

Deal?:wavey: