1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Credit Ratings

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TennisNE1, Jan 20, 2006.

1. TennisNE1

TennisNE1 Member

Is a man with a poor credit rating qualified to pastor a church?

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Depends on if he wants to drive a Cadillac or a Volkswagon!!!

"Yes, I would like to price your Coup de Ville!!"

"Ummmmmmmm! I'm sorry, Sir! You ain't qualified!"

***A Message here to Pastors****

Boys! Pay your bills and pay off your outstanding loans!!! Don't give "Repo Ray" an opportunity to haul your car off or come get your television set!!!

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

How can a pastor teach good stewardship if he has bad credit?

4. North Carolina Tentmaker

I would say that has more to do whith why he has a bad credit rating. Has he experienced lengthy periods of unemployment? Has he had to pay oppresive medical bills? Has he continued to pay his bills even when behind or has he declared bankruptcy and failed to honor is word to pay?

The number one cause of bankruptcy in the United States is not poor stewardship but medical disaster.

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Amen to NCT! Been there, done that. Did not file bankruptcy, thank God for Consumer Credit Counseling. If you have problems, there is likely a CCC or other related non-profit credit counseling group near you. Go see them today!

6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I was going to say what NCT said. There are men with seemingly good credit ratings who do not practice good stewardship of their money. And there are people who have struggles and have learned excellent stewardship skills because of the circumstances which gave them bad credit.

I don't think we can just look at someone's credit rating and make a definite determination of whether they are qualified for any position based solely on that.

7. I Am Blessed 24

Medical reasons notwithstanding, I still think it would limit a pastor's ability to preach on good stewardship if he had bad credit.

Just like a pastor would be limited when doing marriage counseling if his own marriage was in danger.

One of the requirements of a pastor is having his household in order, and in my opinion, that includes his finances.

JMHO,
    §ue

8. Psalm 100

Psalm 100 New Member

I would think that if a candidate was a poor steward of his money, that trait would show up in other areas as well.

But a search committee shouldn't be afraid to ask how the candidate handles his (and his family's) finances, and the candidate shouldn't hide anything.

9. NateT

NateT Member

I knew a pastor that at his ordination council meeting someone asked him if he payed his bills. The thought was partly that of stewardship, and partly that of image. How would it look for a pastor to not be paying his bills?

But it should be handled more as a "manual underwriter" instead of "credit score monkey." That is, look at the person and situation, not just a number.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Nor should the candidate be afraid to ask the committee about their finances.

11. John Ellwood Taylor

John Ellwood Taylor New Member

Charles Stanley, now listen, Charles Stanley doesn't agree with you...

12. Psalm 100

Psalm 100 New Member

Nor should the candidate be afraid to ask the committee about their finances. </font>[/QUOTE]Very true

13. I Am Blessed 24

John, a lot of people don't agree with me, but that's never stopped me from having an opinion. [​IMG]

14. TennisNE1

TennisNE1 Member

I find it more than a little interesting that most smaller churches do not offer health insurance to their pastors, but at the same time condemn pastors that have a poor credit history because of medical bills...how crazy is that?

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If a church gives a lot of weight to the "managing one's own house" requisite, then yes.

16. I Am Blessed 24

There is a Christian Group that requires no premiums. When someone has an emergency, they email the members and everyone sends money.

Yes, it really works... [​IMG]

17. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There should be some sort of major medical insurance even with the "sharing each other's burden" type of program.

My policy concerning the credit thing is this:

If you show me yours I'll show you mine, and I don't just mean the church finances, I want to see the folks that are asking for the credit report. It usually ends there. Either they don't want to share and move on to other things or they don't want to share and move on to some one else.

It is a legitimate question but the playing field should be level so to speak.