1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CREED

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by RaptureReady, Sep 19, 2003.

1. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

How many out there think or thought "Creed" was a Christian band?

2. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

From their lyrics and Album cover I assumed so until it was revealed here otherwise.

3. sweetpea

sweetpea New Member

The Creed songs that I have heard had really deep and thought-provoking lyrics, but I wasn't for sure if they were Christian or just "religious".

4. TheOliveBranch

TheOliveBranch New Member

Sounds like a Catholic prayer.

5. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Thanks for the replie everyone. The reason I asked the question was, I saw that night the lead singer of Creed say that people thought they were a Christian band, but we are not. He said that their first record was sort of spiritual, so that was probably why people thought of them as a Christian band, but they are not.

My thoughts on this was the first record was not even spiritual at all. Also, if people thought that these songs were spiritual and they were not, what about the other songs out there that may sound like Creed, are they spiritual??

6. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

I think that is where the intent of the songwriter and singer come in. It is also worth noting that Creed's lyrics were not openly spiritual - they are more "hidden" than anything else. It's hard for me to really get into CCM unless it is very open about worshipping Jesus Christ. If a group doesn't use the name of God or Jesus Christ, then I have to question the intent of the group.

7. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

This is an interesting discussion that I have seen more than once.
    Do any of you think (as I do) that the only reason his lyrics sound spiritual is due to the fact that Scott was raised in a Christian home? It has been said that art imitates life.

8. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

They're not a Christian band. Whether they're Christians in their private lives, I don't know.

I think they have fallen prey to a problem that befalls a lot of celebrities.

In every sub group there's this idea that we can get credibility if we just claim this person or that person. I travel in Irish American circles and have seen it there as well as in Christianity. I think one of the weirder things I've seen was that George Washington Carver was Irish. I don't think that's what they meant by "black Irish".

Anyway, I've seen this with Bob Dylan happen with Bob Dylan and Van Morrison (it drove them into seclusion from other Christians) and with Eric Clapton and BJ Thomas (it drove them away from Christianity altogether - in Thomas' case, he rejected Christianity outright in an interview with the Christian magazine, "The Door"). Fortunately, inroads have been made with him and he seems to be receptive to the Gospel.

The first assumption is that these guys weren't really Christians to begin with but I have to wonder how much of their troubles with the faith stem from the emotional hurt of well meaning (and not-so-well-meaning) Christians wanted to claim a notch in their Bibles.

I think out of all of the big celebrity conversions, the most well balanced was that of Alice Cooper who took that time off to be discipled and who came out and refused to be a poster boy.

9. Dina

Dina New Member

I am a Creed fan. I have read, watched, and listened to just about anything that has come out about them.

Scott Stapp-lead singer of Creed-was raised in a Christian home. His father, a pastor, has said that he is proud of Scott's accomplishments as a singer and writer, as it is evident he is searching for God. My prayer, is that Scott will FIND.

I am also a fan of Alice Cooper. Have his CD and love it. It too, has lyrics of someone "searching".

10. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Which CD do you have? He has a trilogy (called "The Dragontown Trilogy") that explores the consequences of sin and redemption that he made post-conversion.

11. Dina

Dina New Member

"The Last Temptation"

12. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Right. That's the first one in the trilogy. After that is "Brutal Planet" and then "Dragontown".

13. Dina

Dina New Member

I had no idea that it was a trilogy. Will have to look for the other two to add to my collection.
    Thanks for the info.

14. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Though Scott was raied in a Christian home and may well be saved does not mean that we have to condon what he does. When I saw him on TV saying that people thought they were a Christian band, but they were not, the way he said it and the smirk on his face made me sick. I love people, but I don't condon their acts.

15. kman

kman New Member

Right. That's the first one in the trilogy. After that is "Brutal Planet" and then "Dragontown". </font>[/QUOTE]Huh? Alice Cooper? I used to listen to him in my younger days (late 70's) before I became a Christian. Hadn't heard anything about him since then.

Are you saying he's been converted?

-kman

16. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Yes. He bacame a Christian several years ago.

17. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Though Alice Cooper might be saved, he sure hasn't seem to change his life style, according to his website http://www.alicecooper.com/. Has anyone seen or heard of his testimony?

18. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I don't see anything on that site to indicate that he hasn't changed his lifestyle or anything about his lifestyle at all, for that matter.

As I understand it, and I don't see why these people would lie, he's been clean and sober for several years and he gives Christ the credit for that.

Yes and the story of how he and his wife came to Christ is an impressive one.

19. Dina

Dina New Member

Mike,
    Do you know where one can find his testimony on the net?

20. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

What I am saying is that only God knows the heart of man, but I BELIEVE that when you get saved and want to serve God, you will have a new song in your heart and the old things will pass away and all things will become new. I don't see anything new with Alice Cooper. Why doesn't he use his fame and fortune and hold Christian concerts and sing about God and what he has done for Alice Cooper and his family.

BTW, is there a website that has his testimony?