1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Creeds in Fundamentalism

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Bible John, Jun 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bible John

Bible John New Member

I know there are thousands upon thousands of Fundy churches out there. However in allk the fundy churches I have been in (this includes KJV onoly churches) I have yet to find one that placed a huge emphasis on creeds. Most of these churches only studied the bible, and this alone.

I went to Simpson University for 4 years (a CMA school) and I noticed that among their churches the study of creeds and the study of historical theology is something they value. I also noticed the same in the Lutheran churches.

I had/have a friend that was a Fundamentalist, but decided to leave fundamentalism and join a Lutheran church.

Doug was obsessed with Soren Kiergard, extentialism, and all the contemporary historical theologians of the past that the chief theologian on the Simpson campus (whom was a Lutheran and not CMA loved).

Pastor AL and the other fundamentalist pastors at the church could not relate to Doug, since they only studied the bible and it alone. Doug did not appear to know scripture all that well, but knew theology in and out. People on the campus would often ask him to tutor them in their theology courses. However he never was asked to tutor ina bible course.

What do you say? What is emphasized in your church?

John

2. IronWill

IronWill New Member

Theology and Bible go together. You can't have one without the other. You can't have a Creed without having scripture. Creeds are known as a "Statement of Faith" in a Baptist church.

3. Bible John

Bible John New Member

No

Not exactly. Biblical theology, and hisorical theology are very different.

Darn I had a website which gave detailed differences between the major branches of theology. But I cant remember the url.

John

4. IronWill

IronWill New Member

Perhaps I should rephrase-Theology...in all denominations, is based on that denominations understanding of scripture. It may or may not be accurate. But it is based largely on scripture. I don't know of any denomination that doesn't use scripture to defend it's theology.

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The strength of Baptists of all kinds has always been our distinctive, "The Bible as the sole rule of faith and practice." Why would we want to start having creeds? Statements of faith are all we need.

6. Rooselk

Rooselk Member

What is the difference between a creed and a statement of faith? Ancient creeds like the Apostles Creed and the Nicene Creed seem to me to be little more than statements of faith.

7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A creed is considered to be authoritative and binding. A statement of faith is for purposes of information.

8. IronWill

IronWill New Member

Here is the definition of Creed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.